banjo plunker, wrench

Solution for WTB ti rail creak?

I am currently using a WTB ti rail Valcon saddle which I really like...problem is that the rails will not stop creaking! I've tried spraying the area where the rails go into the saddle (that seems to be the problem area). I've had other ti railed saddles (WTB and others) and have never had this much of a problem. Please any advice will be appreciated! I would rather not switch saddles..
    any time spent riding a bicycle is re-cycled goodness....

Bro Mountainbiker
    Have you localized the creak? Is it the seatpost clamp or where the rails attach into the saddle base?

If its the clamp, try to grease it up really good with Ti prep and torque it to spec.

If its the saddle rails into the base, i would try to squirt some heavy oil in there if possible.

I have an old ti railed SLR that creaks. I squirt tri-flow in there every time I tune the bike up and it keeps it silent.
    Raised in a Chicken-Coop by Chickens

banjo plunker, wrench
    I thought at first it was the clamp...(ti frame as well) seat tube has anti-seize inside for a Thompson post and Thompson clamp...plenty of grit sprays on the post, frame, underneath saddle during wet rides...so, I think some has accumulated in the area where the rails are inserted in the nose and rear of the saddle, causing the problem. I am going to find some of the spray lube that "gels" upon application, maybe that will work? Thanks for your response!
    any time spent riding a bicycle is re-cycled goodness....

Category Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by swaneedawg View Post
    I thought at first it was the clamp...(ti frame as well) seat tube has anti-seize inside for a Thompson post and Thompson clamp...plenty of grit sprays on the post, frame, underneath saddle during wet rides...so, I think some has accumulated in the area where the rails are inserted in the nose and rear of the saddle, causing the problem. I am going to find some of the spray lube that "gels" upon application, maybe that will work? Thanks for your response!
    I've run multiple WTB Silverado saddles. A lot of them creaked.

I drizzled the offending rail ends with a wax-based lube and let it dry.

That would solve the issue.... for awhile.
    WWW.TEAMDICKY.COM

I get paid 3 every time I post on MTBR.

mtbr member
    I do pretty much what teamdicky recommends. Spray some Boeshield T9 into the rail/saddle interface. As Boeshield dries, it leaves behind a waxy coat which stops the creak.

At the same time, I did also put anti-seize onto my Thomson clamp bolts and torqued to spec.

WTB Devo CF w/ TI rails on a Thomson Elite post. Lasted all cross season without a creak doing the Boeshield application and is coming on 7-8 months without a creak.