mtbr member

Soft Tail SS, can you post some of your picturers......

Having a difficult time shaking the SS bug, I think I am going to give it one last shot. This time around I think a soft tail may be helpful. Trying to get some ideas together about a frame/design to use.

Thanks for posting and fell free to describe the ride feel and pros and cons you may be having with your soft tail SS.

KMan

WAWE
    Jan 2004

Steamroller

Solo-one pic

Heres a pic taken at Sea Otter that happens to show my black bike pretty well. I borrowed it from another thread.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    [SIZE=2]Two Wheeled and Too Big[/SIZE]

75% Mountain cycle

It's gone but not forgotten

This 2000 Dean Duke XC rode like a charm once I got a dedicated King 17t SS rear cog, SS 34t front ring, and a BMX non shifting chain. I never dropped a chain.

The second photo I got from this site a few years back. Don't know who's it is but thought it looked super sano.

WWW.TYPE1RIDER.COM
    Jan 2004
    I have been pondering the same question: Soft tail or FS SS setup. Have you ever seen one of these Kona A frames. It is the frame at the top of this page: http://www.konaworld.com/frame_shop.cfm

SS specific 3 or 4 inch travel 4-bar linkage frame. It has some kind or rotating BB sleeve so the chain will stay in line with the moving rear triangle. Looks really trick. Frame only $599 with shock.

Here is an UltraBig photo: http://www.konaworld.com/2k4bikes/im...ame_A_1300.jpg
    2WheelFreak
    2WheelFreak@cervati.net
    'Who ever said you couldn't run away from your problems, obviously wasn't riding fast enough!'

mtbr member

Yes, I pondered about the Kona A

I asked about the frame a few months ago here as well......almost bought one, but decided not to because it's just heavy as shi!....about 7lbs. Plus I called Kona asking about it and they really did not have much info to offer.
    Hence my new search for a soft Tail frame, but I really want to make sure I can build the frame without using a tensioner. Would also like to use disc.
    I am checking on a Dean Duke with an EBB or just a standard dean using an ENO disc hub.

Also possbily a Johnny Rotten built as a soft tail (steel)...not sure if this can even be done)

Airborne Paka-Wallup

Trek STP

unfortunately with the Trek STP I can't use a rear disc so I would need a rear wheel for V-brakes.

Also the KHS Solo One, cheap but may do the job....

Heck for that matter I would even think a Cannondale Scaple might work....

Just a gadzillion different avenues to consider.

KMan

Quote Originally Posted by 2WheelFreak
    I have been pondering the same question: Soft tail or FS SS setup. Have you ever seen one of these Kona A frames. It is the frame at the top of this page: http://www.konaworld.com/frame_shop.cfm

SS specific 3 or 4 inch travel 4-bar linkage frame. It has some kind or rotating BB sleeve so the chain will stay in line with the moving rear triangle. Looks really trick. Frame only $599 with shock.

Here is an UltraBig photo: http://www.konaworld.com/2k4bikes/im...ame_A_1300.jpg
    Last edited by KMan; 04-29-2004 at 07:11 AM.

b-boy
    i've seen a member of the sobe/cannondale team run a singlespeed scalpel at boyne mountain...well, i watched him from behind as soon as the race started. he was running a tensioner on it and a HUGE ring (40-44) on front. that guy was fast as hell on it, so it is an option.