Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Soft Tail SS, can you post some of your picturers......

2K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  peehead 
#1 ·
Having a difficult time shaking the SS bug, I think I am going to give it one last shot. This time around I think a soft tail may be helpful. Trying to get some ideas together about a frame/design to use.

Thanks for posting and fell free to describe the ride feel and pros and cons you may be having with your soft tail SS.

KMan

#5 ·

Attachments

#6 · (Edited)
Yes, I pondered about the Kona A

I asked about the frame a few months ago here as well......almost bought one, but decided not to because it's just heavy as shi!....about 7lbs. Plus I called Kona asking about it and they really did not have much info to offer.
Hence my new search for a soft Tail frame, but I really want to make sure I can build the frame without using a tensioner. Would also like to use disc.
I am checking on a Dean Duke with an EBB or just a standard dean using an ENO disc hub.

Also possbily a Johnny Rotten built as a soft tail (steel)...not sure if this can even be done)

Airborne Paka-Wallup

Trek STP

unfortunately with the Trek STP I can't use a rear disc so I would need a rear wheel for V-brakes.

Also the KHS Solo One, cheap but may do the job....

Heck for that matter I would even think a Cannondale Scaple might work....

Just a gadzillion different avenues to consider.

KMan

2WheelFreak said:
I have been pondering the same question: Soft tail or FS SS setup. Have you ever seen one of these Kona A frames. It is the frame at the top of this page: https://www.konaworld.com/frame_shop.cfm

SS specific 3 or 4 inch travel 4-bar linkage frame. It has some kind or rotating BB sleeve so the chain will stay in line with the moving rear triangle. Looks really trick. Frame only $599 with shock.

Here is an UltraBig photo: https://www.konaworld.com/2k4bikes/images/frames/2K4_Frame_A_1300.jpg

#7 ·
i've seen a member of the sobe/cannondale team run a singlespeed scalpel at boyne mountain...well, i watched him from behind as soon as the race started. he was running a tensioner on it and a HUGE ring (40-44) on front. that guy was fast as hell on it, so it is an option.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.