Recovering Weight Weenie

New question here. SoCal SSers....what's harder? VQ or a marathon?

Wondering who's done both? It seems that a 26.2 mile running marathon usually takes place on flat ground and requires a slow/steady low-level heart rate to finish, with no risk to body (short-term anyway). Anyone done both types of events and can shed light on the different kind of exhaustion you feel, engergy output, hills compared to flat, etc?

The pre-cursor....
    Last edited by Padre; 01-14-2004 at 10:44 AM.

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

marathons are 26.2 miles, brah. ;-)

i would think VQ would be much harder. the furthest i've ever run was 20 miles, and that took me about 3.5 hours. the VQ will take much longer than that (i think it would take me about 2 weeks, but...)
    [size=1][/size]

ali'i hua
    Like I should even comment, considering I bailed on the counting coup last year, but Ive heard that the human body is only capable of running about 20 miles- the rest of the marathon is pure mental.

food for thought.

off topic: swanky new colors!

Mashers Only!!

There I is!!!

Hugh
    Attached Images Attached Images

Recovering Weight Weenie

... and if we just ... Rotflmbo!!!

Quote Originally Posted by HUGH
    Hugh
    ROTFLMBO!!!

Cyclist
    Quote Originally Posted by Padre
    Wondering who's done both? It seems that a 26.2 mile running marathon usually takes place on flat ground and requires a slow/steady low-level heart rate to finish, with no risk to body (short-term anyway). Anyone done both types of events and can shed light on the different kind of exhaustion you feel, engergy output, hills compared to flat, etc?

The pre-cursor....
    pardon my french, but what is the VQ? I've ran a marathon and done a Shenandoah 100. What is the vq?
    "Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

My cycling photos. Enjoy!

Recovering Weight Weenie

What is the VQ?

Quote Originally Posted by striker
    pardon my french, but what is the VQ? I've ran a marathon and done a Shenandoah 100. What is the vq?
    It's a local event here in socal put on by the Warrior's Society. 52.5miles including over 11k of elevation gain. Ouch. Oh yeah, throw in over a mile of steep hike-a-bike. That is the Vision Quest.
    check this personal account.....http://www.socalmtb.com/messages/all...sages/2400.htm

ali'i hua
    Quote Originally Posted by HUGH
    Hugh

hey- wasnt I back there as well?

mtbr member

I haven't ran in a marathon but...

I have ran from the border of Mex to the HB pier (over 5 days.) BTW the run was more difficult. Padre you should do the VQ. You did the CC last year and as I recall I saw lots of smiles from both you and the little lady after that. Time to see some sweat and tears!

VQ VQ VQ VQ VQ VQ VQ VQ VQ VQ VQ VQ!!!!!
    Always preach the Gospel; even if you need to use words.

Cracker-magnon

those of you who have done it.........

on a single, did you run any easier gearing than normal for all of the climbing?
    [SIZE=2]"Life is a F@#^ing story problem, get used to it - my son.[/SIZE]

ali'i hua
    Quote Originally Posted by gpsser
    on a single, did you run any easier gearing than normal for all of the climbing?
    I dont think anyone changed gearing- I know I wouldnt- then again, im digging the 34:20 Ive got now....on the climbs. however, spun out at 3 miles per hour sucks on the flats

the only truly major climb is a hike a bike, and you wont be riding it (west horsetheif) the rest of the main devide and other trails are probably better on a SS. next time I do it will be attempting to findih the counting coup on the SS. no more gearie cr@p.

mtbr member

same gear

Quote Originally Posted by gpsser
    32:12

HaHaHaHaHaHahhaHahahHahhah

32:18
    Always preach the Gospel; even if you need to use words.

Recovering Weight Weenie

Too late...

Quote Originally Posted by Andy aka Rut
    I have ran from the border of Mex to the HB pier (over 5 days.) BTW the run was more difficult. Padre you should do the VQ. You did the CC last year and as I recall I saw lots of smiles from both you and the little lady after that. Time to see some sweat and tears!

VQ VQ VQ VQ VQ VQ VQ VQ VQ VQ VQ VQ!!!!!
    Too late Andy. We signed up for the VQ almost a month ago. I'm not trying to gauge whether or not to do it.. but just to gauge how it compares to other more commonly understood athletic endeavors....