Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Slow riding mama's boy

Bonking ... not feelin' well So is this the normal singlespeed progression?

First I picked up a used Gunnar singlespeed. I loved the ride, even though it doesn't have the greatest parts on it. Decent wheelset at best, Psylo C fork, etc. I continue to ride it more than my Titus Switchblade with all the chi chi parts. I figured it was just a fad.

Today the thought occurs that I should swap the Fox Talas RLC from the Switchblade onto the Gunnar "just to see what it feels like". I swap the fork in a frenzy, which means I also swapped the light front wheel and the Marta SL front brake.

The Gunnar feels lighter and looks ready to take on all comers.

My Switchblade is just sitting there bewildered, wistful, and forkless.

This is dangerous. I seriously wondered today how much I could get for the Switchblade in case I decide to sell it and get a custom singlespeed.

Joel

mtbr member

Breaking up isn't really that hard

I'm in somewhat the same situation. This spring I bought an Intense 5.5. I was happy. Then my Kelly Deluxe SS, that I had ordered some five months earlier, showed up. I ordered the SS just for the fun of it, to try the SS thing out.

After I got the SS built up, the 5.5 chi chi FS have just been collecting dust in my garrage. I ride it now and then to handle the guilt feeling I'm having for not riding her enough. And I ride every single day, so I really have the time, but she just ain't as fun and challenging to play with. It is just too tempting to go ride the SS every time I go for a ride.

Untill now I have tried to deny it, but now I know. I have to let the FS go. How should I tell her?

Sveinung
    www.terrengsykkel.no

mtbr member
    I'm also in the same boat.

After assembling my Giant VT with the parts that I had and wanted the SS bug came right in. I started with a beater frame and leftover parts, eventually a new frame, wheels, stem, post, bars, cogs, rings, etc started to show off. I even took the XMax's from it and put them on the SS.

The FS gearie hasn't been used since the SS took over all my riding. I've thought about selling it but every time I convince myself that after all the trouble I had to go thru to get the bike that I really wanted and now sell it? Off course not, let it sit in the garage until I find a trail that I can't handle on the SS.

Category Winner

Yup

I got a Planet X that I made a SS back in November. Rode it more than my Craftworks FRM125. Loved SS'ing so much I sold my PX and got a custom Spicer in February. I figured if I upgraded my FS I would ride it more so I got an Ellsworth ID in May. That didn't work. I barely rode the ID, so I sold the ID and the Spicer in June at a loss and bought a Dean Colonel. It is my only MTB now and I never regret it. I just never really want full suspension or gears anymore. FYI, I do ride in the Pisgah Mtns and I am going to do the La Ruta on my SS. I am even going to Snowshoe Mtn to do lift/shuttle stuff this weekend. I am going to try to get pics up soon.

Jabberwocky Jockey

I know your pain

I converted an old Cannondale frame that I converted 3 years ago. First 1/2 of the first ride, I hated it.By the time that ride was over, I was hooked. Rode the Cannondale all winter while my Litespeed Pisgah collected dust. I had also ordered a Yeti ASR that I was waiting on.

I loved s/sing but hated the Cannondale, the Yeti came in, I built it sold the Cannondale and converted the Litespeed. Now I had a awesome s/s with disc brakes. Rode, loved it. I only rode the ASR in 24 hour races and all day Epics.

Some m'fr stole the Litespeed in Feb of this year. Bummed, I took the insurance $$$ and bought a Haro frame with EBB. I love it. I've ridden it all year and it's a great bike. Some of the trails that I thought were not rideable on a s/s 3 years ago. I own now.

Meanwhile back at the farm, the Yeti is a sweet bike. I rode it last at the 24 hours of snowshoe

I can't see getting rid of it, I still ride it (some) but, it is getting close to new bike time and all I can think about is another singlespeed.
    I'd really like to have a Dean or maybe a Ventana with a Fox F80X fork (the Haro is rigid, which I like, I'd just like to have susp on the next one for variety)
    Calling out from the Land of the Riding Hillbilly.

www.vassagocycles.com
    www.ntmba.org

My Blog

try driving your car less
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy Zoom
    First I picked up a used Gunnar singlespeed. I loved the ride, even though it doesn't have the greatest parts on it. Decent wheelset at best, Psylo C fork, etc. I continue to ride it more than my Titus Switchblade with all the chi chi parts. I figured it was just a fad.

Today the thought occurs that I should swap the Fox Talas RLC from the Switchblade onto the Gunnar "just to see what it feels like". I swap the fork in a frenzy, which means I also swapped the light front wheel and the Marta SL front brake.

This is dangerous. I seriously wondered today how much I could get for the Switchblade in case I decide to sell it and get a custom singlespeed.

Joel
    I sold my Rocky Mountain Element T.O. a long time ago and am very happy that I did not hold on to it. Something to consider is that while the Switchblade is cool now, it will be obsolete at some point soon. And even if it persists, people are hesistant to purchase a used FS frame (with good reason), even if you say it hasnt been ridden much. FS frames are worth very little very quickly, so I would suggest selling it and getting some $ out of it while you can if you really do not ride it.
    Only boring people get bored.

mtbr member
    You guys are scaring me. I just picked up a NRS a few months ago. Then SS sparked an interest. So, I have recently converted a old Caloi Hardtail that I had. I have not used it for a good ride yet, but I am planning on it this weekend. I have rode it in my trails in the back yard, but I don't have a lot of mileage.

I built this thing for something a little different. Also to get stronger and have a better ride when I ride with slower people. The problem is, it sounds like I might not be slower on that thing. It is all I think about and what parts I get get for it or even a new frame. I am afraid that I the new NRS will be collecting dust by next year. I guess we will have to wait and see.

Probably drunk right now

Normal, I think...

My lightweight, higher end components are on my SS while my Turner 5-Spot has the less desirable stuff. The SS has the lightweight, custom wheelset, the Marzocchi fork, carbon fiber bits, etc.

The Turner has the Psylo and the heavier wheelset. The only instance where the Turner has better components is on the crankset. The SS has LX cranks and the Turner has the new XT cranks. Since the LX cranks are plenty stiff and reasonably light, I don't see any reason to swap them out.

So, welcome your addiction. Accepting it makes it easier to deal with.

Ken

"Mr. Britannica"
    next thing you know you'll be getting some blingazz ss ride and selling your gearie... you know you will, you're already thinking about it. we've all been there...........

Jabberwocky Jockey

I used to be loved once

I used to go on long rides, get muddy, jump stuff, ride over gnarly rocky stuff.
    Now I just sit here in this lonely house while she - that *****, stays out til all hours, comes home muddy and wet. Home wrecker.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Calling out from the Land of the Riding Hillbilly.

www.vassagocycles.com
    www.ntmba.org

My Blog

mtbr member

Joel

Same thing happened to me. Got a cheapo Redline Monocog, rode it, loved it, and stripped the good stuff from my Foes FXC to the SS. Now I only ride SS. Foes was sold a while ago.

Category Winner

Good call

Quote Originally Posted by jh_on_the_cape
    I sold my Rocky Mountain Element T.O. a long time ago and am very happy that I did not hold on to it. Something to consider is that while the Switchblade is cool now, it will be obsolete at some point soon. And even if it persists, people are hesistant to purchase a used FS frame (with good reason), even if you say it hasnt been ridden much. FS frames are worth very little very quickly, so I would suggest selling it and getting some $ out of it while you can if you really do not ride it.

FS bikes drop in value pretty quickly. I started getting rid of mine pretty quickly to move on to something new. It is amazing, but a 2-3 year old FS is a hard sell on ebay. Hoping this(the Dean)will be my last frame for a long time. I know I told my wife that before, but I mean it this time.

34N 118W

be very escared

Quote Originally Posted by gatman
    You guys are scaring me.
    my ex is pictured below - a Jekyll 1000. Bought it new and thought "Oh baby! Now this is how a bike should feel!". Then I noticed the horizontal drops on my old Klein hardtail. Nutshell: sell C'dale, convert Klein to SS, ride it for a year, buy a custom built SS. No regrets.

y'all are done.

HW

Medium?

I used to ride a Superlight

Now all that's left of it is a front triangle with a front derailler and a bottom bracket. The rest of the parts are on my SS, and a few on my hardtail.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Classic. I love it.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkwing Duck
    I used to go on long rides, get muddy, jump stuff, ride over gnarly rocky stuff.
    Now I just sit here in this lonely house while she - that *****, stays out til all hours, comes home muddy and wet. Home wrecker.
    Nothing to see here.

cut like the fog.

don't do anything yet....

I've been 100% ss for the last 4-5 years (ish). I've had a couple geared bikes in between while waiting for ss frames but really didn't ride them. This year I bought a Santa Cruz heckler and I absolutely love the thing. I find i'm splitting my time between the two bikes just about equally. A super long technical, horse chewed, bumpy ride is heaven on the heckler.

I definitely think it depends on your latitude and longitude. Every ride up here is punishing to say the least on an SS for most. It's nice to have the geared option some days. SS'ing every day in NorCal with the (in genereal) smoother trails was much easier on the bod.

my 0.02
    b.
    [SIZE=3][SIZE=2]
    [/SIZE]
    [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3][SIZE=2][/SIZE][/SIZE]

bike geek

Full circle

More or less the same progression here..but it's coming full circle.

Several years ago convert old Bonty to SS, liked it, but wanted a real SS, not a conversion. Bought a true SS on mtbr, rode it, it didn't fit, sold it, dumped the money into a fully tricked out custom Hunter SS and thought I had found heaven. Got tired of the same old trails around my house, had a baby, found less time to ride, the Hunter hung un-loved in the garage. Decide because I no longer have a decent geared MTB, commit to having a geared 29er built. Also decide I don't need two custom bikes, so start eyeing the old Bonty stuffed in the corner and decide to re-convert that back to SS. Buy ENO wheelset for fixed/free riding, and decide the Hunter needs to go so I can pay for the 29er. Hunter is not gone yet, but will be in Classifieds soon enough.

So in a couple months I'll have the bling bling geared 29er, and a budget SS conversion. Right back to where I started a few years ago.

Recovering couch patato
    My first SS was a Surly Karate Monkey, as soon as it hit the market. I got it as I then would have two very dissimilar 29" bikes, I already had the oh-so common Fisher hardtail, and loved it, and reading this forum got me intrigued.

So, I build the Monkey, and right away stopped riding everything but it (I've got like 10 theoretical bikes) , and the Fisher.
    I liked it so much I wanted more of that SS thing. I never really liked my flimsy Giant TCR roadie, threw it in a corner and used the wheels to help build up a Surly Pacer, which to date never saw gears. First I used it for commuting, then geared it up for crit races and pace training.

Then, my Sunn crosser/trainer was left catching dust and was plain undesirable to ride, and became the only frame I ever sold, some parts made it to my newly built Surly Cross-Check (I sense a pattern here), which to date never saw gears. Commuting/training summer, racing mud in winter. Did the CX Nationals on it, and did well considering my health, SS helped me.

One bike left with somewhat functioning gears (it doesn't really count): a 28 crosswheel/fork front, 26" rear Santos ugly bike project, I use for looong road rides wen they happen, weekly grocery shopping and for locking up at the train station (too ugly to steal). Only the Fisher still gets ridden with gears, for racing.
    Oh, and to spend the last jackpott money, I built a 4cross/jump bike this summer, a Banshee Morphine....singlespeed! 4th bike in a row, 4th singlespeed, and no regrets at all, though I'd like to gear it down for racing purposes.

So catching dust now : 3 VooDoo 26" (dream)bikes and a fancy Giant TCR roadie. I'm glad I didn't buy more expensive stuff before I went SS. Didn't even mention the custom weightweenie Duratec Zipp-wheeled crosser, which has been covered in mud for 2 years since I last rode it. Plan to race it somewday though.

Obviously I have plenty bikes, and more ride-ready than ever before, all getting action, but I hardly ever wrench on them anymore. Almost cured of upgraditus, it only comes back to me when I'm really bored. My hunger is over, have a SS bike almost for everything.
    Klok - XC - Skate - Ski

banned
    Apr 2004

It also sounds like a hardtail thing

Joel
    I was going to go squishy and convert my chameleon to SS, instead I got a Litespeed Pisgah for my geared ride and converted the trusty old SC to SS. Counting my road bike that makes 3 HT'S.
    As good as the new fangled dual suspension bikes are, I'm convinced the mountain bike peaked at a Hardtail, Front suspension with V-brakes, anything more is just more.

SSped
    Jan 2004

86 the gearie

I started riding on a full squishy. After outgrowing the bike I went to a beautiful geared TI Merlin. what a beatiful ride she was. She was fast and liked to get dirty. Very fast. One day durring my second 24hr race I was voted to do the extra lap( I always get voted to do the dirty work) so I borrowed a friends SS to do it on. What a blast. I was having such a great time. So much so that two months later there she was. My 1st SS. My Bianchi Diss. The merlin got retired and only was brought out for races occasionally. I only rode her 5 times after getting my 1st SS and then I sold her. It wasnt that hard and I never really looked back.

Here we are 3 years later. I was given a "team" issue Schwinn homegrown with all Xtr. a really nice bike. I have ridden it a couple of times but I always find myself in the wrong gear. It is just not the same. Now I have just purchased my 4th SS to add to the stable. The Gunnar. SS, disk brake, cross bike, just for me. My new Child was born last week. Now she is a real climbing Machine.

Every once in a while I will cheat on my girls and ride a Gearie (after dusting it off) but I could never make a habbit out of it. I just dont like gears. When you have the right gear it is easy to be Monogomous. There is only one girl for me out there.

SSped

Ride 'Til Your Knees Hurt

Oh No!!!!

This is my first "official" SS. I've converted a few hard tails in the past with chain tensioners but they never really worked enough to keep me interested. I love my new SS . I can't belive I even enjoy riding rocky trails with a Ti rigid fork!?!? Problem is I just built up a Turner 5 Spot loaded with goodies (about $4k worth ). I still love riding the Spot but I fear the worst is just around the corner. I just feel so "at one" on my SS. Dare I say it but I too have had thoughts of parting with my high end dualie. I've sold too many really nice bikes in the past though so I'm working really hard at living two lives and riding two bikes... Well, 3 really cuz I also have a road bike (but that's another story)...
    Last edited by cycljunkie; 09-23-2004 at 11:12 PM. Reason: upload pics

formerly Giantxc
    Quote Originally Posted by Bike Nazi
    I was going to go squishy and convert my chameleon to SS, instead I got a Litespeed Pisgah for my geared ride and converted the trusty old SC to SS. Counting my road bike that makes 3 HT'S.
    As good as the new fangled dual suspension bikes are, I'm convinced the mountain bike peaked at a Hardtail, Front suspension with V-brakes, anything more is just more.
    I was thinking the same thing, it seems like all the purist converts came from FS. I love my rigid SS, but also love riding my geared hardtail and seriously doubt I'd give it up. I'm starting to think FS may improve the performance of the sport but seriously detract from the fun factor.

try driving your car less
    Quote Originally Posted by Hollywood
    my ex is pictured below - a Jekyll 1000. Bought it new and thought "Oh baby! Now this is how a bike should feel!". Then I noticed the horizontal drops on my old Klein hardtail. Nutshell: sell C'dale, convert Klein to SS, ride it for a year, buy a custom built SS. No regrets.

y'all are done.

HW
    nice reflectors!
    Only boring people get bored.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    How's that ti fork working out on the Unit? I have a pretty light parts setup including a spicer ti fork but I just need a frame now. Right now it is between a Unit frame and a Gunnar Ruffian. I think its just a matter of which one I can find used in my size first. Its killing me just sitting here waiting though. Anyway, sounds like it feels pretty good? And that's a spicer ti fork, right? I just want to hear what I"m waiting for

Ride 'Til Your Knees Hurt

I vote for the UNIT...

I'm pretty happy with the UNIT... I like the adjustable drop-outs (easy for trail side maint.). I love the Ti fork! At first I tried to ride the bike like my Turner (ouch!). Got beat up pretty bad... Once I figured out the bike's sweet spot things smoothed out. Left me with a big ole sh*t eaten grin! IMHO Go with the UNIT. Use the $250 (or so) you save on parts...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast