Des(s)ert Rat

So I went on a ride yesterday... x-post

I only took two pictures and they aren't so great and I won't waste your time by posting them.

Anyway, Jordan is getting ready for Snowmass this weekend and so I bucked up and did the parental duties of taking him out riding. Sheesh, what a job, I have to go ride... earlier in the week we had ridden Mack Ridge and also a nice long road ride, last night was for singlespeeding. We headed out to Rustler's Loop intending to get in at least one lap. We were racing the sunlight; but I knew the moonlight would be adequate for a second lap if J was up to it. About a third of the way into the loop we saw that people had started an alternate line so we did a little trailwork to block the section that caused the confusion as to where the trail went. When we continued on I couldn't help but appreciate the reds and golds in the sky as the sun slipped below the horizon. The colors were duplicated in the mirror of the Colorado River below. The singletrack is fast and smooth so I could drink in the surroundings without the fear of crashing. I'm so fortunate.

We sped around on the undulating curves of the trail and for a brief time had neither the sun nor the moon in the sky. Then it happened, the moon rose blood red over the horizon. We both stopped without saying a word to watch it ascend into full view. The second lap on the trail was ridden by moonlight and my son enjoyed his first nightride. I think we definitely need to charge the lights for more!

mtbr member

Nice...

the moonrise was beautifull here (Wisco) last night too. Looking forward to tonight...the actual full moon.