Tigers love pepper...

New question here. So it begins......

First shake down rides are in the book. First ride was horrible, had issues getting my tires to seal tubeless so I figured I'll just run tubes for a few rides. Didn't even make it 4 miles before I pinch flatted. Hated the feeling of tubes again anyway. Cranks loosened up a bit as I wasn't sure if I should use lock tight on the bolt, apparently i should have. Then I decided to run platforms since I'd only been riding around the neighborhood with my daughter so far. Hated the platforms, felt like I struck every rock out there. All this on top of not riding a rigid for over a year, not to mention running really narrow tires (couldn't pass up $20 on Craigslist for a set of practically new tubeless tires, even if they were 1.9's!). Blah, blah, not a great ride.

Fast forward to tonight, crank issue resolved, rims newly taped and back to tubeless, platforms swapped out for my old SPD's. Hit up a really short easy ride (except a few steep short climbs). Had to walk some of the hills, bummer but I usually struggle up them in granny, so not surprising. A couple of them I can probably make if I carry more momentum down the hills into them, I was just taking it a bit easy getting use to the rigid feel again.

All in all, I'm intrigued! Definately kind of fun, yet miserable at times.

Dropped my Spearfish in the shop today and they are backed up so I might not get it back for a week. So I guess I'll have a week to ride this or my 37lb AM bike.

Here it is. Too black?

2008 On One Scandal

Name:  8943724016_b1e461b066.jpg
Views: 310
Size:  126.6 KB

Name:  8860952168_506a674a24.jpg
Views: 300
Size:  107.1 KB

Phobia of petting zoos.
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by cobi View Post
    Here it is. Too black?
    Eugh. Needs more black.

Grumps

Phobia of petting zoos.
    Oct 2005
    Just kidding, I think it looks great, stealthy without being monochromatic.

If you're still on 1.9s, plan to get something wider, especially on the front to help soak up the rigidity a little.

Bigger rubber can forgive a lot of errors.

Grumps

Tigers love pepper...
    Yeah, plan to wear out those 1.9's and then go to 2.2 in the rear and maybe 2.35 in front? Didn't really plan the stealth look, just kinda came out that way with what I had laying around or what was cheapest!

Heading to work out of town Wednesday in Vernal, UT. Already contemplating taking the SS as some of their trails would probably be fun on it. Don't remember much climbing there.

I must say the ride is definitely different. I just kinda zoned out and felt like I turned off my brain. No thinking about when to shift, etc. Just pedal. Kinda strange.

mtbr member
    Real, real nice!

Never enough black!!

Definitely take the bike to Vernal! We have family out there and they report some great riding!!
    www.getbusylivin.org
    http://www.prairiefireapparel.com

Guardian 2.0
    Redline Monocog Flight 29er SS (for now)

Tigers love pepper...
    It's getting a lot better even just 4 or 5 rides in. Despite my plan of riding it in secret for a while, I even did two rides with riding buddies and didn't have any issue keeping up with them (although one was a very short ride).

Did 15 miles this AM in Fruita and could have done plenty more if it wasn't already getting HOT. Not bad for a fat guy. Set a few personal records on Strava on the climbing trails. Go figure, haha.

Rigid single speed, what a perfect bike for 18rd in Fruita!