mtbr member
    Feb 2010

Small ss freewheel - english threads?

has anybody here seen any single-speed freewheels that are less than 16t with english threading?

i busted myself up pretty good recently & the doc ordered me to stay off the trails for quite awhile. this time i am going to listen to him. i plan to ride this bike on the pavement for the time being but it is sooo flat here that it is too spinny. have been looking for a smaller freewheel to give it better road manners but everything i find under 16t is metric. i want to change as little as possible & thought this would be easier than swapping to a bigger chainring. can anyone point me to any smaller freewheels that i can just screw onto my english threaded hub?

thanx for any suggestions...

Dive Bomber
    What is english threaded hub? Is that different with other threaded hub?

I've seen somewhere on this forum 14T freewheel I believe it's shimano.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    http://www.sheldonbrown.com/freewheels.html

Type Inch Metric
    Italian 1.378" x 24 tpi 35 x 1.058 mm
    U.S.A. 1.375" x 24 tpi 34.92 x 1.058 mm
    British 1.370" x 24 tpi 34.80 x 1.058 mm
    French 1.366" x 25.4 tpi 34.7 x 1 mm
    Metric BMX 1.181" x 25.4 tpi 30 x 1 mm

mtbr member
    you need a BMX flipflop hub for smaller freewheels. there is no way to get the bearings and pawls inside a freewheel smaller than 16t, so the threaded part of the hub needs to be smaller.

this hub has standard threads for 16t+ freewheels on one side and smaller threaded area for 13-15t freewheels. Odyssey, ACS, Dicta, KHE, and a few other companies make I small freewheels, but don't know if anyone makes a hub that accepts 13t freewheels with 135mm spacing. they are mostly 110mm spacing for BMX bikes. a 110mm spaced bmx hub will not work on your mountain bike if it's a standard mountain bike.

DK made a limited run of 12t freewheels, but they were notorious for shattering. avoid.

the easiest, cheapest thing to do would be to get a larger chainring and a longer chain.
    Last edited by mack_turtle; 11-03-2010 at 06:48 PM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    thanx for the info mack_turtle!
    was hoping against hope but kinda figured that was the case.
    can i get that hub?
    since i'm hoping this is a temporary situation & i really like my ring & chain...
    after doing some checking, it looks like if i can learn myself to ride fixie, there are smaller fixed cogs that will fit onto my hub.
    i have always been a big advocate of expanding one's horizons, so maybe i should give it a try, hmmm?
    unless there are any other suggestions?
    ok...wish me luck...

mtbr member
    the hub i posted is a BMX hub, it will not work on a mountain bike. most of the hubs that will accept smaller freewheels are also bmx, so i doubt you will find one that will fit on a mountain bike. you need something with 135mm spacing, but bmx hubs are 110mm.

you could also try a regular mountain bike hub that has a freehub instead of a SS freewheel. get a small ss cog and some spacers for it. the question is: do you love your chainring enough that you would rather buy a whole new wheel instead of a chainring? replacing the chainring (temporarily, until you can ride trails again) would be a lot cheaper than a whole new wheel.

also, if you want to go fixed, you can put a track cog and a bottom bracket lock ring on it, but this is what is known as a "suicide hub." try riding one in traffic without brakes for a little while you'll find out why! a proper fixed/track hub has a reverse-threaded lockring.

if you have a disc brake, you can bolt a Tomicog onto your hub and make it fixed that way too.
    Last edited by mack_turtle; 11-03-2010 at 07:14 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by mack_turtle
    if you have a disc brake, you can bolt a Tomicog onto your hub and make it fixed that way too.
    But it'll still be limited to 16t.

Just get a new chainring.

Mtbr Forum Sponsor - Homebrewed Components
    Jul 2006
    i had a 14t for english threads back in the mid 90's. It was an ACS, and it was even rare back then.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    just found this:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...3#ht_500wt_922
    looks like 15t freewheel is as small as anything comes for english threads & i am sick of searching.
    i wonder, is a 1 tooth difference worth it?
    guess i'm going chainring shopping this afternoon...
    Last edited by markaitch; 11-04-2010 at 12:13 PM.