mtbr member
    Jan 2004

... and if we just ... Slushing good time...(56K modem no, no)

On a crisp, idyllic Saturday, the single speed outlaw put on the second annual SS Punk Bike Enduro race at the snow-covered grounds of an unnamed (to protect the innocent) reservoir located just a stone throw away from the city of Baltimore. The premise was simple enough; bring a one-gear bike and an empty water bottle. And plan to ride twelve miles of up and down terrain along the frozen reservoir. The miles of smiles were broken down to 5 or 6 stages. Whoever collects the most points or punks (laminated doodads) that were hidden along the trails will win the coveted Sid and Nancy trophy. From the lemans style start, to the leg-burning climbs, to the no dub-rocky stage, the Enduro was well organized and attended. Bring your appetite for good times, good beer and good camaraderie as well for they will come in handy as you trudge shoulders to shoulders up the slippery, slushy slopes.

There were close to forty riders who participated. Many were on Surleys, On-Ones, converted hardtails, and fine steel frames like Kelly and Vicious. Several riders, including the outlaw, rode a fixed-gear. Hats off to them for making us look bad. One lone female rider, Becky schooled half us in the group and is one heck of a rider.

It was cold out and the trails were covered with snow, slick roots and logs. But my grumble gave way to delight and excitement, as I turned the cranks for the first time in several months. Some of my best memories were spent on the saddle riding with the likes of Drevil, SSO, Allroy, iconoclast and others. Good times, I tell you. For roughly twelve miles we rallied around the frozen reservoir. The stages lasted no more two miles. Long enough to warm my soul and put a grin on my face, which will tide me over until my next ride.

Thanks for the good times and a warm shout to the single speed outlaw and others for putting on a great show.

Thanks for reading and hope all is well in your corner of the world.

Drevil sporting his orange ruffles dashes to his bike.

Shiva Steve kicked up some snow as he pedaled his fixed Chester forward.

Rider in black breaking trail.

Slogging up a slippery slope.

Allroy was stoked to find a punk.

A very cold baptism. PS. Thanks for being a great sport.

Pedaling up a fireroad, as the master Enduro captures the moment.

Iconoclasst was having a smashing good time.

Jaybone's parachute about to deploy as he bombs downhill.

Hjalti give me the evil eye. Good riding, brah!

There is always a long line for tasty nectar.

Long live good ride and good scenery.

K9 leads the pack.

A bike jam up a power line.

Derbying for points.

Mandatory group shot.

A fixie rider getting it done.

Becky clearing the no-dub section with style. On borrowed bike, no less.

Drevil rode like a scalded monkey the entire time, must be the puffy shirt.

"There are big ships and small ships. But the best ship of all is friendship."~Author Unknown

mtbr member
    Man! Great shots!

Thanks for sharing! Wanna post more pics?

b1umb0y

I am the owl
    Great to ride with you again Mugg and great to see you posting your fine photos and words to go with them!
    SingleSpeedOutlaw .com
    Riding Bikes and Drinking Beer.

Fueled by Wahoo's
    Quote Originally Posted by mugg
    The premise was simple enough; bring a one-gear bike and an empty water bottle.
    Great write up and awesome photos!

What do you fill the empty water bottles with? What is your definition of Nectar?

Edit: Aha! Just saw the other post from IconoclaSSt: "Somewhere midpoint in the ride, near the bottom of a sketchy and epinephrine-inducing downhill, we were treated to a mini keg of DeGroen's Marzen that the minions of Dionysus saw fit to deposit in the woods." Yummy!
    Last edited by DirkSSter; 02-28-2005 at 06:33 PM.

mtbr member

Wow Mugg!

Thanks for the Passion hit! Great shots, and it was great to see you out on the trails again.

Faster Than Your TV!

Good job! Once again...

...you've managed to outdo yourself with the pix and write up! Man, I don't think we all realize just how fortunate we really are to have a fotog freek of your caliber who is willing to pack the heavy, expen$ive picture box and sacrifice pieces of his ride to chronicle the fun. Much appreciated, as always, and great to see you riding again! Here's to many more to come...

Couple more pix:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by iconoclaSSt; 03-01-2005 at 07:02 AM.
    "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailleur? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!'' -- Henri Desgrange, from an article in L'Equipe

Wrench In the Gears

Fahrrad fahren

Mugg's secret

Thanks for the great work Al. We know your secret.

Your camera is heavier than your Moots.

Here is the link to my report:

DFL Again. SSPBE 2005.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Awesome sprint finish shot between Drevil and me....

Des(s)ert Rat
    Wonderful, as always.

Your little one must be one, or very nearly. Walking yet? Talking? Wrenching?