mtbr member
    Nov 2005

SKF bottom Bracket

Does anyone no how good the SKF bottom brackets are. I’d like to put one on my single speed Bontrager crank are they worth the $? Then add a Boone chainring. I assume the spider is the truv. and will accept the rings.

Retro Grouch

I've heard nothing but goods things about SKF..

Quote Originally Posted by rinkle
    Does anyone no how good the SKF bottom brackets are. I’d like to put one on my single speed Bontrager crank are they worth the $? Then add a Boone chainring. I assume the spider is the truv. and will accept the rings.
    No first hand knowledge, but bad news travels fast..

Brad
    Just one more rep and I get the toaster!

WAWE
    Jan 2004
    I have the SKF BRI 600... it's not cheap or light but it's the first ISIS bottom bracket I've owned that has lasted longer than 3-4 months before heading to crunchville.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    SKF is the largest bearing manufacturer in the world, I believe, and the product carries a multi-year warranty. Since its a German company, the folks in Europe have been salivating since they announced they would be making these...as soon as my current RF one goes away its between an skf and the new crank brothers one- both have real live warranties on them, so even if they die every 6 months, after warranty replacement for a few years I would think you would get your investment back plus some

*Hotter than Hell*
    Aug 2005

New question here. skf vs. cobalt

Quote Originally Posted by dankilling
    I believe, and the product carries a multi-year warranty.
    Q. What is the warranty on the new SKF range of bottom Brackets?

A. The new 2006 range of SKF bottom brackets, including the BFR freeride/downhill units carry a 2 year manurfacturers warranty. Due to the completely sealed one peice design of the bottom bracket shell and special axial system seals, you should expect a 10 year life under normal use.

Crank Brothers Cobalt has a 5 year warranty.
    PROFESSIONAL THREAD KILLER!

Quote Originally Posted by FoShizzle
    Maybe I will just start hanging out in the "Recycle Bin" forum.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by dankilling
    Since its a German company,
    'tis Swedish actually. Svenska Kullagerfabriken = "Swedish bearing maker" in English

my next bb will be a SKuF'r. Eventually the three bikes in this house, which all have ISIS BBs will have SKF units in them.

But I work for SKF, so I get a bit of a discount.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by mcfly
    'tis Swedish actually. Svenska Kullagerfabriken = "Swedish bearing maker" in English

my next bb will be a SKuF'r. Eventually the three bikes in this house, which all have ISIS BBs will have SKF units in them.

But I work for SKF, so I get a bit of a discount.
    Cool! Didnt realise it was Svenska...I used to work for Svenska Cellulosa (SCA) so my counterparts in Gothenburg were the ones who clued me into SKF BB's...I guess my memory is just fading with age

Got Mojo?

SKF or INA

When the Enduro bearings in my RF Taperloc crapped out after 2 hard years, I replaced them with SKF...

4 years later they still roll smooth.

If I were in the market for a new BB I'd give them a good look. Unfortunately (or fortunately) I don't think I'll be needing a new BB for some time.
    aLaN AT BikeMojo DOT com

Jackbooted Elitist Hipstr

Who has square tapers?

I can't seem to find anyone in the US with a stock of SKF square taper BBs. Anyone come across one?
    Dirtbag since '89

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Thanks for the help. I'll be getting one

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Singletrack Pig
    I can't seem to find anyone in the US with a stock of SKF square taper BBs. Anyone come across one?
    Didn't I hear SKF made UN-71 /UN-72 for Shimano? I know they aren't made anymore but I've stocked up on them from ebay. At 140 lb. they last me many years. I too would like to know if SKF still make spuare tapers.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    square taper is in the catalog.

***cut and pasted from skf.com***

ISIS-Drive

The ISIS-Drive interface between spindle and crank arm offers perfect power transmission and an absolutely secure fit. At the same time, it allows for great freedom in designing both optimized cranks and bottom bracket units. It is also possible to combine the cranks and bottom bracket units of different manufacturers for new bikes as well as for repair, change or upgrade.

ISO Square

Especially in road bikes many bikers rely on Campagnolo® components. We offer a complete range of BBs, which fit perfectly to all available Campagnolo ISO crank sets.

JIS Square

A lot of bikes are equipped with the JIS square interface. To offer an ideal replacement part and an upgrade in quality we have designed the BAS series.

BAS: MTB, Trekking Bike, Road Bike
    (JIS square)

Many bikers have to use inadequate or old-fashioned JIS squared bottom brackets in their bikes. To enable them to upgrade their bikes we have introduced also this M8x1 JIS interface with our new SKF-Technoloy.

Interface

Shell size

mm

Spindle length

mm

BAS-600
    JIS

68/73 BSA

70 ITA

107 / 110 / 113 / 116

121 / 126

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by mcfly
    actually it would translate "svenka bearing factories".... but then, that is in german? is it the same in swedish? i am confused.

Keep on Rockin...

Been thrashing mine all last season,

and all through the winter and now into Spring. Still going strong.