Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004

Sizing question before I buy.

Hey, there! I am ready to pull the trigger and order a singlespeed frame, but I've got a sizing question. I am looking at the Zion EBB frame, and as always I am between the med and large. I am going mostly by the top tube length. My Heckler fits me like a glove with a 23.3" Top tube and 105mm stem. With the Zion I am looking at either a tad longer (23.74" for a large) or a tad shorter (23" for a med).

I imaging my riding style will be very different on the SS compared to a 5-1/2" burly trail bike, particularly spending more time out of the saddle. Should I be looking for a longer or shorter top tube? The large is starting to push the limits in terms of standover hieght, but I could get by if need be. I am 5'10" with short legs (31" inseam) so I am used to feeling a top tube against my balls when I straddle a bike. It has never affected my riding.

Thanks
    Kapusta

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Doesn't sound like there is a big difference between the two sizes. With the proper stem and bar selection you can make either fit OK. It has been my experience that a smaller fram is "faster" or "twitchier" handling than a larger frame. My first SS was on the small side and it was a lot of fun because it was like a big boy's BMX bike. While it was fun the smaller geometry started to get uncomfortable after 10-12 miles. Now, I have a larger frame. The bigger bike handles slower but it is more comfy for longer rides. Also think about your riding style. Do you like a stretched out position or more upright?
    Last edited by porkchop; 06-30-2005 at 01:00 PM.
    "I've never been better .... nor cared less!"

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I went through the exact same thing happen as PorkChop. Started with a 22.75 TT went to a 23.5 and am way more comfortable over the long haul. Also, I think being stretched out a little more allows you to sit a little more which can make a beg difference especially late in a ride.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005

How is it measured

Quote Originally Posted by kapusta
    Hey, there! I am ready to pull the trigger and order a singlespeed frame, but I've got a sizing question. I am looking at the Zion EBB frame, and as always I am between the med and large. I am going mostly by the top tube length. My Heckler fits me like a glove with a 23.3" Top tube and 105mm stem. With the Zion I am looking at either a tad longer (23.74" for a large) or a tad shorter (23" for a med).

I imaging my riding style will be very different on the SS compared to a 5-1/2" burly trail bike, particularly spending more time out of the saddle. Should I be looking for a longer or shorter top tube? The large is starting to push the limits in terms of standover hieght, but I could get by if need be. I am 5'10" with short legs (31" inseam) so I am used to feeling a top tube against my balls when I straddle a bike. It has never affected my riding.

Thanks
    Kapusta
    Make sure you know how jenson is measuring the TT length, also how the lengh was measured on your heckler. Lots of companies use the virtual TT measurement, which means that the actual top tube would be 1/2 to 1 inch shorter. I think of virtual TT measurements as fake TT measurements. Just my .02c

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by single1x1
    Make sure you know how jenson is measuring the TT length, also how the lengh was measured on your heckler. Lots of companies use the virtual TT measurement, which means that the actual top tube would be 1/2 to 1 inch shorter. I think of virtual TT measurements as fake TT measurements. Just my .02c
    They both use effective (is that what you mean by virtual?) I would think that is the more relavent measurement.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005

Yep

Quote Originally Posted by kapusta
    They both use effective (is that what you mean by virtual?) I would think that is the more relavent measurement.
    Yep just making sure your comparing the same type of measurement, I just happen to prefer to use the actual TT measurement, I put my seats up and down a bit, It's also easer to measure on your own with a dulie tape measure.