mtbr member

Which size for the new SS?

My new SS is just about in, but I'm wondering about fork length?
    I would like a Fox Float, but they only make a 130mm this year. I know that you can squish it down to 100, but am not certain if there is any performance issues with that.
    I have a Vanilla that I run at 100 and like it better than 125 - less squishy during the 1st inch.

This is my 1st SS, I weigh about 200 and ride aggressive XC, but no real jumps. I'm not really worried about weight - what do folks think - 4" or 5"? Is 5" too much on an SS?

Steamroller

shorter is good for climbing

Quote Originally Posted by Jesterrider
    My new SS is just about in, but I'm wondering about fork length?
    I would like a Fox Float, but they only make a 130mm this year. I know that you can squish it down to 100, but am not certain if there is any performance issues with that.
    I have a Vanilla that I run at 100 and like it better than 125 - less squishy during the 1st inch.

This is my 1st SS, I weigh about 200 and ride aggressive XC, but no real jumps. I'm not really worried about weight - what do folks think - 4" or 5"? Is 5" too much on an SS?
    My current bike has a Marzocchi MX pro with the ETA 105 mm, but when locked out it reduces the travel and lowers the front of the bike a lot. It makes a big difference when climbing. If I forget to lock it out I have a harder time keeping the front on line on steep hills. Also I still have an inch or so of travel left when locked so if I forget to release it for the downhills, I'm not fully rigid.

On the new SS 29r I will run a White Bros Air fork and I'm pretty sure it will be the 80mm version instead of the 100mm. I am about 255# and also ride XC, but do lauch off small jumps on a regular basis 1'-2' max. 80mm should be fine for you, anything over 100 is probably too much and may screw up your bikes handling if it is not designed for it. Some others here will likely tell you to save some money and go rigid
    [SIZE=2]Two Wheeled and Too Big[/SIZE]