mtbr member

Singulator: Godspeed or Pyramid

Anyone have any feedback on either or these tensioners? Had an older model Surly tensioner, but kept losing tension, then kept breaking the spring. Thanks.

Cold. Blue. Steel.

Soulcraft Convert

i say go with the Soulcraft and try to set it up in the "pushing" up mode. gives more chainwrap around the rear cog. i have been using mine all year with great results. i don't even know it is there, and that is a complement. really cool company, to boot.
    Spinning and Grinning...

mtbr member

Pyrmid sucks

you will hate this cheep tenitioner, you think surly spring brake easy, these are pretty bad. but what can u expect its a cheepo
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott O
    Anyone have any feedback on either or these tensioners? Had an older model Surly tensioner, but kept losing tension, then kept breaking the spring. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Singulator

We've got 2 Singulators. One on my son's bike, one on my spare. I followed Surly's instructions, and there has been no trouble with the springs. Both are set to push up.

They do their job, but the big disadvantage with these sort of tensioners is that you get all the attendant noise and clinking of a derailleur on rough stuff, plus the drag of an extra pulley.

I like the look of the Ronnen tensioner with no spring, and would go for this the next time I was deblinging a blinglespeed.

However, nothing beats a tensionerless setup. My 1x1 is much quieter, and provides better feedback than either of the Singulator equipped bikes.

mudnthebloodnthebeer
    Quote Originally Posted by OneGearGuy
    i say go with the Soulcraft and try to set it up in the "pushing" up mode. gives more chainwrap around the rear cog. i have been using mine all year with great results. i don't even know it is there, and that is a complement. really cool company, to boot.
    Ditto. Set and forget...........

mtbr member

CHeep and Noisy

I am using a Godspeed on my Redline SS (converted)....I have it set to push up and it works fine. It does click and clack but does the trick... I have seen a couple pix of these units with wire or zip ties to keep them tight. Maybe they are junk, my SS is looks like junk, i am junk. I say for a cheep conversion whaddaphuk? Run what ya brung...
    "Sometimes it's fun to make a bad decision."
    -Jerzy (my son, at 6 years old)

mtbr member
    Nov 2004

I'm a convert...

I'll voice my support for the Soulcraft Convert. It’s unbelievably easy to setup and to adjust. Swings nicely out of the way for wheel removal (in the “push up” mode). The guys at Soulcraft are prompt and professional too. Nice product, nice guys.

Are your pants fresh?

Surly Consingleatorvert

I used to use a Singleator until I bought dedicated frame with horizontal track ends . I used one of those orange MRP rollers to replace the puley (as found somewhere here on MTBR) and had the Singleator in the "push-up" position. Worked great, quiet and smooth. All I had to do was drill out the center to make it fit the existing bolt/arm thing. Somewhere there's a picture of it around here, I'm away from home right now otherwise I'd take a picture. Doesn't really alleviate the possibility of breaking the tension spring, but I think it comes out a little cheaper than a SoulCraft convert.

Good luck,

Cheers.

FP

Retro Grouch

Tensioners suck!!

Quote Originally Posted by Scott O
    Again just my $ .02. Use a derialleur ala Keith Bontrager (see FAQ). The are designed to hold the chain over the cog (something tensioners don't do) and they don't break unless you bang them.

1G1G, Brad
    Attached Images Attached Images

Penis Goat!
    Quote Originally Posted by Freshpants
    I used to use a Singleator until I bought dedicated frame with horizontal track ends . I used one of those orange MRP rollers to replace the puley (as found somewhere here on MTBR) and had the Singleator in the "push-up" position. Worked great, quiet and smooth. All I had to do was drill out the center to make it fit the existing bolt/arm thing. Somewhere there's a picture of it around here, I'm away from home right now otherwise I'd take a picture. Doesn't really alleviate the possibility of breaking the tension spring, but I think it comes out a little cheaper than a SoulCraft convert.

Good luck,

Cheers.

FP
    Would you mind posting a picture, if you find the time? Also, where'd you find the roller?

Thanks,
    Brian

Are your pants fresh?
    I'll be back in Denver on Wednesday, I'll post a pic then. I'm pretty sure all I had to do was drill something out of the center and add a few washers here and there.
    I can't remember exactly where I got it, but it's an MRP replacement roller w/bearings etc... and this is a link to bikeman. They've got one. You could also try your LBS.

rolly roller

The name's Norm...
    I'm going with the Rollenlager. I've talked to a couple of riders w/them and they are really happy with them. I also like the springless design. Here's a link.
    http://www.rennendesigngroup.com/rollen_info.html