conjoinicorned

singular peregrine new build

so i'm half drunk, and finished one of the worst builds of my life (just one of those times when everything goes wrong LOL)

only have a ride around the block, it's midnight so piss off eh....and ignore the seat height that was to get it into the bike stand and ignore the garage door pic i'm just excited so whatever.

currently wearing 2.1 nanoraptors, the toe overlap is pretty bad (clearance is great, could probably go with crossmark 2.1) but the cranks are 175 and she's at the front of the EBB so there is some room to play, although it looks like i may have to go with some 38c or something God gave me hobbit feet oh well.

even on a short ride, the geometry ROCKS although i'll have to do some work with stems and such obviously. currently a 44x20 since my 48t won't fit, as my only spare wheelset is a damned freewheel setup. geeeez i'll probably gain some more haters but at least cassette style gives you some adjustment on the chainline.

the only negative so far: the paint falls off when you sneeze. otherwise high quality stuff from singular and i can't wait for the first proper ride!

Last edited by ferday; 10-28-2010 at 11:05 PM.
    what would rainbow unicorn do?

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    You must be a weird shaped person. It almost looks goofy. You seem short torso and long legged. I'm opposite. My Peregrine is a bit more stretched out. Some toe overlap on my large frame. I have small feet. Front of the EBB too because my 105 compacts won't clear. I set mine up as a 1x9 now. It's fun. Great mess around go fast do some stuff bike. Not a race bike. I tried. I threw my back out trying to heft it over the barriers.

P.S. I'm also half drunk.

Ovaries on the Outside
    I'm getting drunk as we speak, so I think I'm qualified for comment.

I hate toe overlap. I'm a little disappointed to hear it, but not surprised. Getting huge tires in a frame with something close to road geometry almost makes it a given. I'm about to slap some Smart Sams onto my cross bike. They are supposed to do well offroad and roll fast off. We'll see. If you end up downsizing a tire, let know and I'll give you a completely biased review.

CB2
    Jam Econo
    I'm very surprised to hear about the paint. My Swift has been through a season of racing and the only signs of wear are from where I've contacted rocks.
    I'm racing a Kite now that was previously raced by Grant, and the drive-side chain-stay has some chain slap chips ( I guess Grant rode it geared) that are what I'd call typical of an unprotected chain stay (on a geared bike).

Witty McWitterson
    Other than the obnoxiously high seat, looks awesome!

For trail riding, the overlap thing is indeed not comfortable. For road/gravel/fireroad, it doesn't really matter to me. Pretty rare that I'd turn that sharp in those conditions. YMMV though. Personal preferance and all. Mine is set up with Nano's and an Alfine. Ain't no way I'll be racing mine. Makes for a swift[ha! getit?] gravel macheen though.

The paint on the Peregrine is a bit fragile, true. Each of the other bikes is nice and durable though.
    Just a regular guy.

conjoinicorned
    seat height and ridiculous stem fixed! bike is pure awesome with a side of radical.

i've now gotten a couple good 40km+ mixed terrain rides, which is why i built the bike....and she rocks! so far the toe overlap has been a non-issue, some buzzing on the singletrack sections but i have 5 mountain bikes if i really want to go there. the nanoraptors truly are the best mixed surface tires ever made (IMO, LOL) and really, i'm 5'6" with 46 (US11) feet so toe overlap is something i deal with on a lot of bikes.

and hey Umarth, please give me a mini review of those tires (smart sams) in particular what size are they? i suspect some 40-42c with not terribly aggressive tread would be overlap free...
    Last edited by ferday; 10-28-2010 at 11:05 PM.
    what would rainbow unicorn do?