Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
    mtbr member
    I just bought a $1500 2012 TREK RIG for my Fiance (she doesn't get the "gears") i couldn't resist, so i put the seat up and took it for a blast, so much fun I am loving it. So quite no chain slapping and so on its been 3 days since my $6000 INTENSE tracer2 has been out on the trails

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Spot on!! I always thought single speeders were nuts!! As of two weeks ago I finally broke down and tried my buddy's out on the weekly ride, and developed an addiction! I got my first one last week and I'm stoked!! A 29er single speed is a hard thing to beat!
    Last edited by UpillDaemon; 08-22-2012 at 01:43 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by UpillDaemon View Post
    Spot on!! I always thought single speeders were nuts!! As of two weeks ago I finally broke down and tried my buddies out on the weekly ride, and developed an addiction! I got my first one last week and I'm stoked!! A 29er single speed is a hard thing to beat!
    a RIGID single speed 29er can My squishy bike has not left the basement since I picked up my Karate Monkey a week ago. I have found myself riding a ton more and much longer too!

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I agree. I picked up a rare specialized stump jumper convert. Its way fun, and so quiet!
    Mit einem Ziel vor Augen schaffst du ALLES!!! or in other words... Just do it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Ouch.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012

... and if we just ...

By accident.. Around 2004 I had an old DB Apex taking up space and needed a putt around town bike, so I singulated it. Hmm, this is not bad. Decided I wanted to try a 29er later that year and found a Surley KM here on MTBR for a good deal and went for it. I was in ID at the time and would trade off riding the KM and my baby Titus RX, enjoying the totally different ride I'd get from both. In 05 work took us from the vistas of ID to the flatlands of the FL panhandle. Still trails available that were fun in Pensacola and on Eglin AFB, but the RX and all it's g-whiz technology/shocks/gears was serious overkill. One day I had a spoke give up the ghost and unable to find a replacement (Mavic Xmax circa 99). So she got parked. And is still parked. The KM became my one and only by default and I love it more every time I get to go out. True, my wrists sometimes take a beating, but rarely do I have to get off on any hill climbs. Love the point/shoot, love the (lack of required) maintenance. We're now in coastal GA with next to no trails nearby, but the bi monthly trek to Augusta or once a year to Asheville NC keep me juiced. The KM is doing me right, havin too much fun every time we're out. I did spy a Niner Air 9 carbon ss recently tho, and serious bike lust has set in. Could be trouble. Luckily I can't justify it for as little as we ride... for now. Life is awesome.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Got into singlespeeding on a whim 5 years ago this month and it was/is a buzz. First time I cleared my regular training trail (Old Chevy in the Whakarewarewa Trail network, Rotorua NZ) including a few nasty pinches, I was ecstatic!

mtbr member

First SS 29er

My first SS 29er,

Didn't believe the hype till I rode it!

It's a blast! Will fit my stable nicely
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails A singlespeeder's story (Why not Singlespeed?)-2012-09-21_21-15-37_214.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Has a ride with my fried yesterday. He has a newly build 96er On One 456 rigid SS with a NINER carbon fork.

So much fun!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails A singlespeeder's story (Why not Singlespeed?)-img_1426.jpg  

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Opting out of the rat race. Singlespeed, I always come back to ya

mtbr member
    I've been wanting to try singlespeed for a while, finally pick up a SS bike. The first ride, and i knew it was my cup of tea. I was loving it, i wanted to just keep riding, eventually the legs gave out and i headed for home. Sore the next day but can't wait to take it back out on the trails.
    "Events in the past may be roughly divided into those which probably never happened and those which do not matter."

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    There was an Ibis demo close to my house, it was packed, the only thing left on my size was a Tranny SS.
    I was with a group, we knew the trails, I took the lead and never looked back.

Sorry guys

Cormac
    People tell me I am the epitome of an xc racer dork. If any of you ever see me in my full race kit you might just think i should be in the peloton of the tour. I shave my legs and ride a 29er hard tail 2x10. Just the other weekend me and some buddies headed down to frUiTa for some sweet riding at 18 rd. I brought my rigid 29er ss that hadnt been getting alot of use (except for pickin up serious babes with its radical orange paint job!1). riding rigid and single speed just gives me less to think about. I might not have been able to shred PbR as fast s on a dirt jumper, or my hard tail, but I worked with it. my favorite part about riding SS is just not having to think about shifting, especially at trails like 18 rd. average 5% grade maybe, fast ascents, fast smooth descents, and lots and lots of super short and steep 15%-20% grade hills. The feeling of powering up those hills 32-20 is just awesome. I might be the best darn shifter in town, never in the wrong gear, but the feeling of not shifting for a whole day of riding is awesome. I might not be as fast, or maybe ill go a little faster, but in the end I dont care that I am wearing carhartt shorts, a carbondale beer works t shirt, and a tie, its all about having fun and getting away with it all because you are on a single speed. Being a racer dork I sort of get stirred up in what other people think of me, because I can get very competitive. But when i am not riding in the "peloton" i can "relax" mentally and just have a good rime riding with friends. who cares if we stop at the top of every trail to wait for those who might be a bit slower, or who cares if my training schedule is messed up. Maybe i can put off interval workouts, spandex, certain foods, and GEARS for a day to enjoy myself with the buddies. Finish it all off with a giant unhealthy hamburger at suds in downtown fruita and call it a day

Yall should read this article in the local paper about my good friend darin, who races his single speed in lots of ultra endurance events. He puts it very nicely. http://www.postindependent.com/artic...profile=search
    '11 Dawes Deadeye
    '12 Niner E.M.D. 9
    '09 Giant ocr c1
    Xtracycle

meow, meow.
    Quote Originally Posted by cormy View Post
    Yall should read this article in the local paper about my good friend darin, who races his single speed in lots of ultra endurance events. He puts it very nicely. Geared for a three-peat | PostIndependent.com
    Hey, 2 sustained tailwinds a day is serious!
    26" faithful.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009

Ditto everything you posted!

Quote Originally Posted by richwolf View Post
    I am now on my second go around on a single speed. The first time I tried it was several years ago and I did it pretty steady for about a year. I then wandered away, smitten by full suspension, 29er wheels and a boatload of gears.
    I then started getting bored with biking. The new ride made it all seem too easy, and most rides became rather forgettable.
    I bought a 29er ti hardtail with a full set of gears. I liked it but it paled in comparison to my full suspension ride. I played with it but it just did not compare and it started to gather dust.
    Then one day I got the bug to try single speeding again, and stripped off the gears, the derailleurs, the cables, the housings and the shifters. I had a chain tensioner that a buddy had given me and I put that on since my steed didnít have an EBB or sliders.
    On my maiden voyage the first thing I noticed was that I kept reaching for my shifter. Well this really stinks I thought to myself. Of course the first outing was on pavement into town to show off my new ride to my friends at our afternoon hangout. I presented it to them and they just rolled their eyes, but they all had to pick it up just to see how light it was!
    The true test was on my first mountain bike ride. Spinning out doesnít happen like it does on the road and the hills were a joy to tackle. I had no trouble keeping up with the group and my trail cred went up greatly!
    I kept with it and started to learn how to ride single speed again. The legs become your gear box and the whole range of leg RPMís comes into play. Flats and downhills demand a spin and coast approach and it is surprising how little you really give up here, unless it is a real long pedal to the metal type of downhill.
    The uphills are the place where a single speed shines and in fact I feel like it is cheating in a way. While my geared buddies are planted firmly on their butts spinning up a hill, I just use my leg gear box to go up. I alternate between sitting and rocking my body back and forth and when the pitch gets beyond a certain point, I stand to keep my momentum going. I picked my gearing to allow me to ride just about all of our local trails without having to hoof it. As time goes by the climbs become easier and easier once I learned how to measure my efforts. It is amazing how long you can stay in the saddle without any huge strain on your legs or knees and once I stand I have learned to measure my efforts even more. Climbing out of the saddle reminds me of a stairmaster or hiking up a steep hill. With the proper gearing you rarely have to put out that gut wrenching effort to make a climb.
    A few weeks ago I climbed back on my dually and boy did it feel plush and comfortable. I thought to myself, next time I go out, I am taking the geared bike, but it has yet to happen. The only thing I can figure out is that my trail cred will go down and I will not get the exhilarating workout I get with the single speed. Often times I just stare at my single speed for no reason at all.
    I have noticed that it is now easier to put on a pair of pants! My leg muscles are more toned and I have much better balance. I can stand on one leg with a steadiness I havenít had for a long time and no longer have to hop around getting one leg on and then the other.
    I have come to the conclusion that single speeding is a lifestyle that only those who do it can truly understand.
    I have been pro FS for years....went 29er FS, got a Gary fisher RIG frame just for fun, built for my son and he loved it....thought he was crazy....this fall, took it out for a training ride and been hooked ever since....actually it took a couple of rides.

It's a 32X18 setup, and I have since learned that maybe a 19' or 20 is the way to go....anyway, I am really taken with SS, may even race with it in 2013 :-)

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Hey guys
    Just bought my new SS today after having a cannondale badboy ultra 09' it's hard at the moment but I'm sure I will get use to it, and I sure can feel those quads! Hahah

mtbr member
    I am about to be in the same boat Khoder...starting riding 1.5 years ago and just got my SS (SIR 9 fully rigid). Can't wait to get out get on the trails...looking forward to the experience.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I started out with a 2010(i think) Specialized Hardrock 26", i really hated the cheap drivetrain that was on it and i couldn't afford to get something better so I bought a cheap SS kit and loved it. In November 2012 I bought a Surly Pugsley and again hated the drivetrain so I converted that too. Just last week I got myself a Specialized Carve SL, I figured I would just skip the gears completely this time.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesM11 View Post
    I am about to be in the same boat Khoder...starting riding 1.5 years ago and just got my SS (SIR 9 fully rigid). Can't wait to get out get on the trails...looking forward to the experience.
    Oh dude it sure is hard to just start SS'ing! But leg muscle growth is always good

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Surely I can't add much to what has been said....but there is just nothing like feeling strong on a single speed climbing. (granted this is a combo of fitness, gearing, and grade, but when all three align on a stretch of trail its sweet)

meow, meow.
    Quote Originally Posted by ride_bikes View Post
    a combo of fitness, gearing, and grade
    and traction, and skill... it is said that fun happens when challenge meets skill.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    i love the simplicity of the ss. always had the gears on past road bikes and when i bought a mountain bike. i switched the mountain bike over to a single speed and it's the only bike i own right now. if i can't make it up a hill, because i have asthma and sometimes run out of gas, i have no problem walking my bike up and than getting back on.

mtbr member
    its hard to explain the feeling, maybe the ah-ha moment/seeing the light, whatever you want to call it. but its amazing. heres my version of how it all happened

just started riding mountain bikes 1.5 years ago, went out and bought a $2500 fsr stumpy. ive raced mx bikes/quads/street bikes/bmx etc since i was a little kid, any kind of "wheeled adrenaline rush" and im all in! but this heavily worn and abused body, that has more surgeries/pins/ti screws/broken bones etc for about 6 peoples lives didnt want to cooperate

it had been probably 15+ years since my legs had to be my motor, and it was difficult at first to say the least. much different than what i had been doing with a real motor. i could, not-practice for 2 months and hit up a local xc quad race in the vet class [over 30] and podium easily, vet class is just older fast guys like me. but i wouldnt be beaten down by this mtb thing, i pushed as hard as i could every other day riding. every pedal revolution was making me stronger.... thats what i was telling myself anyways so i hooked up with some friends and we were riding 3-4 days per week consistently for about 6 months. i was becoming pretty darn fast and strong, enough so that my riding buddies started saying i needed to find some faster people to ride with. only way to get faster, is ride with someone faster, period.

on one of our group ride days while at my local trail, i got introduced to this guy riding a bamboo bike that he had made. he was about my age and a smaller guy, i was thinking in my head [im gonna hammer this guy] after all, im getting stronger/faster and not many of the riders can keep up with me. i still have my ego from my racing days, up for any challenge and wont back down. so we took off as a group and hit the trails. this guy was amazing, just dropped the hammer on everyone, without even breaking a sweat....without any friggin gears! i was like....WTF! that dude is a freak. at the end of the ride, i remember thinking that...i want to be as strong a rider as that bamboo dude.

turns out bamboo is a converted roadie, a very very strong rider, and became a great friend. so after getting my ass handed to me, i decided if you cant beat them join them haha. so i started to build a ss, carbon hardtail. it took a few weeks to horde up some parts without scavenging anything from my beloved stumpy. but it was built in no time, and we had a local 6hr race coming up in 2 weeks. this race will be my 1st mtb race and were going to race as a 3man team [another friend was building a ss at the same time as me]...all 3 of us on single speeds.
    i was riding as hard and often as i could leading up to the race, it paid off... because we ended up pulling 3rd place in the 3man team out of 20 teams. what a great day we had. i absolutely fell in love with the whole ss deal. so much that what had started out as i would probably ride it 1 time a week while on the bike patrol, to.... i wouldnt even consider riding the stumpy! it just sat in the garage and collected dust. emotionally i just couldnt get rid of the stumpy, she is a beautiful bike, easy on the eyes and could just flat out haul ass on downhills.

the ss was just so... i dont know man, natural, it just felt right. steathly quiet, smooth, and was for sure making me a stronger
    rider! now a year later, im like a ss drug pusher, i try to convince anyone who joins our riding group to atleast give it a shot, we have a solid group of 6 guys that all but 1 guy has made the switch to ss! its great flow when were all riding together...like a freight train

as we hammer up the climbs, and pass other riders with gears, i can hear "their" words in my head....WTF are you kidding me!!!
    those guys dont have any friggin gears!!!

Clyde on a mission!
    Dec 2011
    Awesome story!

The funny thing is, you start out on a geared bike, get better and start pushing to go further and faster and think that you're exploring the limits of what you can do. Then you switch to ss and find out you can do a helluva lot more.

When waiting for my ss to arrive I was dead certain that some climbs would be completely impossible on a ss. I had it all figured out, which climbs I thought would be no problem, which would be hard and which would be downright impossible, but when I actually got to ride my ss I discovered that I had been wrong and most of the impossible stuff was quite possible.

Riding ss took me by complete surprise and amazed me, that's pretty rare to blow your own expectations and limitations out of the water that way - looking back on a climb you just made and thinking "how the *pleep* did I manage to clear that?!?"

Riding geared takes you as far as you think you can go. Riding ss takes you beyond that and shows you what you really can do.

mtbr member
    your last sentence says it well!!!

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast