mtbr member
    Mar 2009

singlespeed wheel

im going to have CRC build me a singlespeed rear wheel.

recommend a hub.....im going to use a mavic 819 rim.

local trails rider
    My Hope SS/Trials hubs have been doing well: narrow freehub with a plenty of space for adjusting chainline.

- it is loud
    - the freehub is easy to take apart (to clean, grease, etc)
    - some have broken pawls or springs on them, so I got a spare set. Haven't needed it, yet anyway
    - the bolts are not the greatest: feels like my 6mm hex keys are a bit loose in them.
    - I thought it would come with a lock ring. It doesn't: you need a Shimano-compatible lock ring

"it IS possible that you are faster or slower than anybody else who is having at least as much if not more or less fun"

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    i was looking at the hope hubs.......this will be for my girlfriend so i dont think she will break anything......and i like the sound of them.

mtbr member
    I've been looking at CRC for a custom build with the Hope Pro 2 SS rear hub myself. Problem is, I don't see any builds using any 29er wheels with that hub anywhere on the CRC site. Am I missing something, a link or separate dept. or something? I'd like take advantage of their low prices on the hubs and build a 32h Stan's Flows rear SS wheel in the 29er variety.

Not to do any hijacking here but the Hub/ wheel combo you picked sounds good, just wished I could get them to consider my choice too. If not, I'll spend the extra shekels and have Mean Todd cobble me a nice set.

JJ

local trails rider
    Quote Originally Posted by jj1075
    I don't see any builds using any 29er wheels with that hub anywhere on the CRC site.
    Some time ago, they just weren't building 29er wheels. That could still be the case.

"it IS possible that you are faster or slower than anybody else who is having at least as much if not more or less fun"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by perttime
    Some time ago, they just weren't building 29er wheels. That could still be the case.
    You are correct, no 29er wheels. I'm gonna give building up a rear with a Stan's flow and the Hope Pro II SS hub myself a whirl.

JJ

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    How about a Paul Word hub with a White freewheel? Light, strong, reliable, not too expensive.