mtbr member
    Jul 2006

Singlespeed with vertical dropouts......

I am getting my tensioner and my hub coversion kit today from UPS. Tomorrow my 32 tooth singlespeed sprocket and single chainring bolts are coming. I may or may not be off work tomorrow, and I want to have the bike ready to roll the trails if I have off for sure My question is this. 32 tooth sprockets are 32 tooth sprockets right? They will be almost the exact same size right? I want to go get my chain fitted today with my current 32 tooth sprocket and then easily be able to pull the crank and fit the new one on tomorrow without having to go to the shop and hoping they can squeeze me in before riding. Will this work?
    8 is great

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Not really, kinda. It should be okay since you're using a tensioner. Why'd you buy the parts online only to have the bike shop do the service?

mtbr member
    yep, close but not exact. Good enough to size a chain, not necessarily good enough to set exact tension but a tensioner is easy to adjust. When you are sizing the chain, if you do end up with a situation where it almost an exact fit with the first chainring (magic gear style) I would not trust it to necessarily work with the other chainring though

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Schmucker
    Not really, kinda. It should be okay since you're using a tensioner. Why'd you buy the parts online only to have the bike shop do the service?
    Lol....Simply because I don't have a cassette tightener, and I dont have a link removal tool or a chain tool. Whats the best way to make sure the chainline is perfect? Iv'e heard the yardstick method but for some reason it doesn't make sense to me. My kit comes with the two spacers..pre set for middle chainrings I guess...hopefully I wont have to shave anything down etc
    8 is great