mtbr member
    Jan 2016

Singlespeed Tire Combination

What tire combination do you recommend for a 26er Single Speed? Our trails are usually dry and loose due to the lack of rain. On my geared bike, I usually use a 2.3 for the Front and a 2.1 for the rear. Would you run those sizes on a SS as well or keep them smaller both front and rear? Also, what is a good brand? I don't want to spend too much since money plays a factory. Any recommendations would be great. I know, it is probably a personal preference, but some suggestions might help.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    For those conditions, I ride the Continental X-King w/ Protection and Chili compound (tubeless). I run the 2.4 in front and 2.2 in the rear. I converted mine to a 96er.

Cannondale CAADX 105
    Cannondale CAD3 SS 96er build (circa 1997)

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    I'm an ignorant fool, but I can tell you what I do. I had been running matching 2.35 SB8s until the 69er conversion.

mtbr member
    Ignitor 2.35 front and Crossmark 2.25 rear are working for me. I would ride Ikons but they were a bit pricier.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I'm sure everyone has their own favorite combo. I like Spesh ground controls for most conditions. They seem to work well in most places. I run 2.1 rear, 2.3 front.

mtbr member
    There are a lot of good deals out there right now on Geax tires (since they're all being rebranded as Vittoria). I took advantage earlier this year and for the dry, slightly sandy trails here in and around Albany, NY, I've been running a 2.2 Geax AKA front and a 2.1 Geax Mezcal rear. That combo has given me good traction/grip in sandy/dry conditions. They do well up through damp conditions in the woods.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    This thread has me wondering if there's anything unique to tire choice for a ss.

Out back, I notice I tend to run less aggressive tread on my ss, maybe because you can't put down as much torque, can't spin out as easy. Grip = drag, no point in having more than you need I guess.

Up front you need every bit of it.

Armature speller
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by TampaDave View Post
    This thread has me wondering if there's anything unique to tire choice for a ss.

Out back, I notice I tend to run less aggressive tread on my ss, maybe because you can't put down as much torque, can't spin out as easy. Grip = drag, no point in having more than you need I guess.

Up front you need every bit of it.
    Sit and spin doesn't need as much knob as standing.

On my geared hard tail, I'd be running Renegade's front and rear for racing and Ikon's normally.
    On the single speed I've gone through Ikon's, Ardent's and now Ground Control's to find climbing traction.
    Do have a Minion'SS on the way to try though.