mtbr member
    Jun 2008

singlespeed.. in the sand?

how do you guys handle sand.. i havent tried singlespeed yet (am in the process of getting a new wheelset and converting) but i am worried about sand because i have had to downshift extremely in order to get through it in the past.. do you guys just walk sand traps? or is it possible to muscle through with some finesse ?

Hoosier
    I usually just build up speed before the trap and try to keep up the pace through. This probably wouldn't work for longer sand traps though and you'll just have to muscle through or walk.
    SS is like beer...its an acquired taste.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Use your momentum to carry you as far as you can peddle. If it becomes too difficult, whether it is a sand trap, a climb, or a technical region, you'll have to walk. Now you just have to pick a gear ratio that works most of the time.

Alles komt goed!
    I also build up some speed before the trap and try to keep up the pace. In a longer section I usually try to move my weight to the rear wheel where the traction is needed to move forward, and keep the bike vertical to the ground (less pulling at the bar). thats hard during the first attempts because on a singlespeed, when i need more momentum I use my handlebar and pull. It is important not to move wild on your bike and let the front wheel flow over the sand. Otherwise:
    ---------------------------
    Gijs, from the mountain

organically fed
    This is basic bicycling. Did some of you grow up as such spoiled little brats that you didn't have to ride a "singlespeed" fake-BMX everywhere you went and learn how to ride in stuff like this?

Curmudgeon
    Quote Originally Posted by w00t!
    This is basic bicycling. Did some of you grow up as such spoiled little brats that you didn't have to ride a "singlespeed" fake-BMX everywhere you went and learn how to ride in stuff like this?
    Woot da man ! Can someone bring me more hendrick's please? F* sand ! Wha da ya wan ride dar for?
    ...got chuck to join my Rock Racing SS team....

Alles komt goed!
    Quote Originally Posted by w00t!
    Ore spoiled with a multispeed suspended etc mtb after that.... At technical sections, or uphill, I hate multispeeds in front of me when they are downshift extremely and nearly stall. Use your momentum in those sections. Use the handlebars where they are made for when needed, there not there only to put your shifters on. Put your weight on the right place on your bike, where the momentum is needed, like in this situation:
    ---------------------------
    Gijs, from the mountain

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Trekkertrek: Dutch dragracing..

V-Shaped Rut
    There are lots of sandy spots here in vegas, duh, its the desert. I get through the same way as on the geared bike. Haul ass, get my weight back and surf through it. If its a long/deep section I don't see how a granny gear will help.

Birthday Collector
    MOMENTUM!!! Speed is your friend in sand. Also try not to turn your front wheel much if at all - steer with your shoulders and leaning. Weight back, power on and follow a groove if you can. If not, stay in the smoothest part of the sand you can see. Any place it gets firm and you can increase speed, do it. 29'ers work a bit better in sand as the larger diameter puts more tire above the sand. Go out and practice - great workout and it can be fun to ride sand. We used to do long stretches in the Anza Borrego desert - you eventually learned, or you walked. (Sometimes you still walk if it is soft enough for long enough..)
    R.I.P. Corky 10/97-4/09
    Disclaimer: I sell and repair bikes for a living
    http://www.endlesscyclesonline.com

ridin' Mary
    1) Big wheels. A 29er handles sand (and snow!) much better than smaller wheels
    2) Momentum. You need some speed before you enter the sand
    3) Balance. I learned a trick in of all places a dance class (OK laugh away). Imagine there is a screw-eye bolt that has been mounted into your vertebrae right between your shoulders, and that a cable is suspended from above pulling you skyward. WIth this mental imagery of God tugging up on your spine, your balance will be perfect and you will not oversteer nearly as much. Try it - it works!
    4) No death-grip on the bars. Light touch on the bars is all that's needed if you are properly balanced from #3. Small corrections are your friend.

awesome
    Build and keep a lot of momentum, then try and stay seated and keep your weight as much as you can on the rear wheel and off the front, when things get desperate use the "lunge" just like when climbing, if all else fails walk

Members who have read this thread: 0