Singlespeed by necessity

Just found these pics and thought I would post them up. This past summer I was riding a short steep uphill trail and lost traction going over a tree root. Lost my balance, laid the bike down to the right and...snap. Hmmm, what was that??? Since this is the SS forum I wont show any pictures of the carnage, just the resulting fix.

In any case it got me home and also made it through some easy riding over the next several weeks. To be honest it was kinda fun. I had been thinking about putting an SS together and after this experience I most definitely will.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    How'd that go with the rear suspension moving around? Were you able to lock it out or just ride it like it was?

7Days, as you can see there is a fair bit of slack in the chain. I did up the pro-pedal but still let the rear end active. It got me back out (about 5 miles or so) and also got in another 15-20 miles on real easy trails.

Sorry for the fr derailleur but it was just there to keep the chain on...

Single and loving it
    All may be lost now.....
    The least of things with a meaning is worth more in life than the greatest of things without it.

mtbr member
    Swat I am talkin about!

mtbr member
    Same thing happened a couple of years back on my old Epic:

This was my fault: I was using a 9 speed chain on an 8 speed cassette or something like that, and the system bound up and sheared the derailer. Even though it happened only a few yards into the trail, I finished my lap anyway
    WTB: Specialized AWOL frameset, XL

I reckon y'all fixin to..
    I've had nonstop problems with my bike being geared right now. Ultimately I think there is an issue with the rear derailleur as it non-systematically gets really loose and if I'm not paying attention the slack will almost toss me off when I try to pedal. It was really bad this morning as I start my commute to work in the ice and snow and almost tumbled crossing traffic.

What I'd really like to do is get a conversion and just make it a real SS, but fundage going into Christmas isn't gonna make it. As for what you guys have done here, I can remove the rear derailleur and just set the chain where it should be, but obviously I have a chain made to be geared, how do I get rid of the slack? And/or, do I just buy a new chain (which is obviously cheaper than buying the whole SS setup)?
    "Good health is the slowest possible way one can die."