greedy

Singlespeed Drivetrain Wear ???

I've got some questions about Chainring, Chain, and Sprocket wear. I haven't had a SS in about 10 years and I built a 29er up at the end of the summer. I've been running a 32t Salsa SS ring with a Chris King Steel 20t cog and sram pc-1. They have about 250 miles or so on them. It has been wet here, but I've been keeping the chain as clean as possible and lubing with White Lightning. I really didn't think the chain was worn badly, but just as a part of my regular maintenance I checked it last week. It showed to be around 1/16" stretched on a 12" length. I had another chain, so I just went ahead and changed it. I did one ride with bad chain noise. I took the chain back off and closely examined the chainring and cog. The teeth on neither seem to be "ramped" like a typical worn tooth. But, the chainring especially seems to have divots on the back of some teeth where the chain rollers have been loaded against them. So, I guess these divots are catching the new chain as it comes around.

My question is, did I let the chain go too long? Should I just keep the old chain, cog, chainring combo on there and run all three in the ground and replace them together?
    Addicted to the Classifieds

Monkey Junkie
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by have2ride2day View Post
    I've got some questions about Chainring, Chain, and Sprocket wear. I haven't had a SS in about 10 years and I built a 29er up at the end of the summer. I've been running a 32t Salsa SS ring with a Chris King Steel 20t cog and sram pc-1. They have about 250 miles or so on them. It has been wet here, but I've been keeping the chain as clean as possible and lubing with White Lightning. I really didn't think the chain was worn badly, but just as a part of my regular maintenance I checked it last week. It showed to be around 1/16" stretched on a 12" length. I had another chain, so I just went ahead and changed it. I did one ride with bad chain noise. I took the chain back off and closely examined the chainring and cog. The teeth on neither seem to be "ramped" like a typical worn tooth. But, the chainring especially seems to have divots on the back of some teeth where the chain rollers have been loaded against them. So, I guess these divots are catching the new chain as it comes around.

My question is, did I let the chain go too long? Should I just keep the old chain, cog, chainring combo on there and run all three in the ground and replace them together?
    What chain did you replace the original pc-1 with? SS drive trains are generally pretty trouble free for more than 250 miles in my experience. Cog and chainring shouldn't need to be replaced for a while, and chain life varies a bit but isn't as important to replace as it is on a geared bike. I never measure my chain wear on my SS bike. Just ride it to the ground and eventually replace it when it starts riding like crap. Not scientific but it hasn't given me any issues.

My only thoughts are that you're possibly running your chain too tight, your chain line is off, or the new chain is too narrow for the ring/cog. I'd probably throw the old one back on, clean/lube it, make sure the tension is right, and leave it. SS is suppose to be worry free.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    i bet the noises will go away after another couple rides. but yes if you get the noises you probably let it go a little too long.

my culprit (other than the stuff cycle addict mentioned) would be the chain. in my experience pc-1's are garbage. go with a 3/32' chain for better results next time. 250 miles should put barely any wear into a decent SS drivetrain unless your riding in total crap the whole time.

greedy
    Quote Originally Posted by CycleAddict View Post
    What chain did you replace the original pc-1 with? SS drive trains are generally pretty trouble free for more than 250 miles in my experience. Cog and chainring shouldn't need to be replaced for a while, and chain life varies a bit but isn't as important to replace as it is on a geared bike. I never measure my chain wear on my SS bike. Just ride it to the ground and eventually replace it when it starts riding like crap. Not scientific but it hasn't given me any issues.

My only thoughts are that you're possibly running your chain too tight, your chain line is off, or the new chain is too narrow for the ring/cog. I'd probably throw the old one back on, clean/lube it, make sure the tension is right, and leave it. SS is suppose to be worry free.
    I had another PC-1, but the more I read on here, the more I am leaning toward an 8 speed chain next. I do have fears that I have been running my chain too tight. I've been finding the "tight spot" in the pedal stroke and leaving it just loose enough to feel movement. I checked the chainline according to the skewer method on here.

I guess I'll put the old chain, cog, chainring back on and assuming it is still quite, I'll run it until worn out. Then I'll start fresh with an 8 speed chain, new cog and chainring and keep a closer eye on chain tension.

Thanks for the help.

psycho cyclo addict
    +1 on using 8-speed chains.

I buy $15 Nashbar ones Nashbar 7/8-speed Chain - Mountain Bike Chains and they last ~1 year / 1,000+ miles for me.

Schipperkes are cool.
    Quote Originally Posted by have2ride2day View Post
    It has been wet here, but I've been keeping the chain as clean as possible and lubing with White Lightning. I

There is the problem. Wet riding, use a wet lube like Pedros Syn Lube or Triflow.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee
    Better suited to non-aggressive 125# gals named Russell.

greedy
    Quote Originally Posted by banks View Post
    There is the problem. Wet riding, use a wet lube like Pedros Syn Lube or Triflow.
    I've been a little worried about that, That's why I mentioned it.

I checked my chain tension tonight and have to say that I don't think it has been all that tight. I've been reading, a half inch of slack in the chain, which does not seem like much at all to me.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I have found that I shark tooth the surly chain rings pretty quickly. I run bling rings or race face chain rings.
    Chris King Cielo
    Vassago Optimus Ti (2013)
    Vassago VerHauen 2nd Gen
    Ragley TD:1

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    I wouldn't recommend white lightning as a chain lube at all. Especially in wet conditions. Try Pedros Syn Lube or Finish Line Wet. Sram PC-870 are a pretty solid chain choice and reasonably priced $20 on Jenson right now.