mtbr member
    May 2006

Singlespeed Cross Recommendations

I wasn't sure whether to post this to cyclocross or singlespeed, but here it goes. I currently ride a Motobecane singlespeed cross bike. I really enjoy mixing it up on the local trails and commuting on it. I run it with a flip-flop hub and commute fixed, then, flip it and ride freewheel off-road. Ultimately, I would like to run a single disc in the front and as wide a set of tires as possible (45cm?). However, running 45's on the frame is probably going to be problematic, maybe 40's. I was thinking of a Vassago Fisticuffs or possible something custom built: Waltworks or Curtlo. I love steel and want to stick with that. Basically, I was hoping for some suggestions of what else might work. Thanks.

BTW, I ordered a Winwood Muddy Cross fork and Avid road disc for the current setup and was thinking of transferring all of that over to the new frame whenever I can decide on that. However, I'm not opposed to simply purchasing the Fisticuffs and using the stock fork on that.

mtbr member
    Surly Crosscheck comes to mind for the tire clearance.

Voodoo and OnOne make steel SS CX frames, but I don't know about the tire clearance on those.

SSlow rider
    I currently ride an Iro Rob Roy on pavement and off-road too. It's a lot of fun to ride this cross bike on trails.

If I was to build a new bike I'd look at the forthcoming Voodoo Nakisi. It's got room for 29x2.1s, runs disc brakes, and has a hanger with cable stops brazed on to run it geared if you ever wanted to switch things up. It's more of a monstercross frame, but it looks so sweet.

mtbr member
    I'd pass on the fisticuff. The super short head tube makes it awkward to setup for monster cross. I have a Cross Check, and heartily recommend it. The Voodoo is probably another good option.

I'd also recommend the Steelwool Tweed. It's got an eccentric bottom bracket for dead easy disc brake use, lugged construction, full braze-ons for touring and geared setups, if you want. It's made of Tange Prestige steel, and has a pretty sweet paintjob to boot.

http://steelwoolbicycles.ca/bikes/tweed.html

Oh yeah, it's got room for up to 45s.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I like the look of the Voodoo. Weird sizing though. It looks like I would have to ride the small, and I'm 5'10"! Cool looking bike though, and it does everything I want it to. Thanks.

mtbr member
    I think Curtlo and Waltworks are awesome choices and also check out theCo-Motion Demon, my personal ride. They've got stock sizes and also do custom.
    I only ride bikes to fill the time when I'm not skiing.

mtbr member
    I love the pompino but rear allows up to 35 only.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

It may take custom to fit that tire.

Custom to get 45's in, some older Crosschecks may fit it though. The only 45 is the Fire Cross but any of these frames including yours might fit the Bontrager 1.75 or 1.8 tires. The 1.75 XXX is good for dry conditions and will barely fit a production cross frame. Its 42/44 and with horizontal dropouts it should fit. The Jones 29 x 1.8 is a beefy ( for a 1.8) tractor style tread and good in the back with a Firecross up front. If those tires won't do it you should probably be on a mtn bike. If I go custom I'll get clearance for a 650B 2.0, same outside diameter as a cross tire with more tire/less rim looking side by side. There is a La Cruz in the bikeman blog built that way.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Search for Monstercross.

My recommendation: Singular Peregine. Get it from The Prairie Peddler. ~martini~ is the dealer.

mtbr member
    Here's another beaut but damned if they fit me.

Rawland Cycles

meh... whatever
    steel frame. great for commuting. handles well off road. takes up to a 29x2.4 tyre without fenders and a 2.3 with. geometry designed for drop bars. not designed as a singlespeed, but its nothing a yess etb wouldn't cure.

linky

"The meaning of life is to find your gift. The purpose of life is to give it away."

mtbr member
    Jun 2008

29er

you could always get a 29er and do something like this

My raleigh xxix

Jack