Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Singlespeed Conversion Kit

29K views 35 replies 18 participants last post by  Sparticus 
#1 ·
I am looking to convert to single speed. I am considering either the Surly conversion kit or the Wheels Manufacturing conversion kit. The Surly kit is approx. $15 - $20 more. Does anyone have any experience these or any other kit? Also, what some good chain tensioners out there for vertical dropouts.

#28 ·
wookieone said:
Just curious why a spring tensioner is so bad? I hate having a thing there at all, but it is a soft tail that was never intended to be a single. Thanks Jefe
spring tensioners have weaknesses.
personally, i think they are a fine compromise (for the $).

now in your specific case (soft tail)...it is a better than fine solution.

#29 ·
tmas said:
I don't think you "left it," when you shortened his post to quote "stuff" and then asked what improvements the Boner offers, despite his raising good points.
Don't think this is personal, because it's not. I shortened his post to "stuff" because it's annoying when someone quotes a long post, but wanted it known I was replying to him.

tmas said:
I clearly recall riding the old things I listed, and I remember them working...the newer alternatives are a little lighter, a little smoother, and a little more stylish.
This gets into the evolutionary life of products, which is a fun topic on it own, but not really related to this. All the products you listed still had revolutionary leaps to go, before settling down to relative stability.

#31 ·
ISuckAtRiding said:
that thing looks similar in principle to my tensioner i made a while back, except i had a titanium flex plate instead of plastic. What exactly are the details of your patent? Hopefully there's no infringement :D
You got a boner!

("That's what she said...")

--sParty

#32 ·
Boner, interesting product. Questions for you:
1) How do you prevent QR, deraillure bolt, spacer, pinch bolt or whatever it comes with from gauging/stripping the plastic interface?

2) If the plastic is that hard, wouldn't it be brittle? Have you tested in a season of winter riding that involves -20F temps with constant banging? I've gone through like 5 Cat Eye brackets in winter where trying to detach the unit snapped plastics. Plastics in cold temp don't behave nicely.

3) Can't you make it with golden color for blingers (not me), or black for stealth? I get the boner part but white is, well, not my color. Don't tell me to paint it:)

#33 ·
hatake said:
Boner, interesting product. Questions for you:
1) How do you prevent QR, deraillure bolt, spacer, pinch bolt or whatever it comes with from gauging/stripping the plastic interface?

2) If the plastic is that hard, wouldn't it be brittle? Have you tested in a season of winter riding that involves -20F temps with constant banging? I've gone through like 5 Cat Eye brackets in winter where trying to detach the unit snapped plastics. Plastics in cold temp don't behave nicely.

3) Can't you make it with golden color for blingers (not me), or black for stealth? I get the boner part but white is, well, not my color. Don't tell me to paint it:)
3) it is (technically) available in colours. the specific grade we specified (to answer your first two questions without actually being specific) was white*. in the event that we go with mold based production colour batches could/may be made available.

*the natural colour of the material is white - so for prototype and initial production needs we did not want any additional factors (such as colour) influencing results.

#36 ·
ISuckAtRiding said:
Hey! mine came out first, so if anything, they have an Erection (that's what i call mine... sounds a bit classier. I mean, come on..... we're all adults here.) :D
LOL! Erection is a great name for a tensioner! Should prove popular with the wimmins.

--sParty

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.