Sofa King We Todd Did

Singlespeed chain slap

Anyone here have any thoughts on quieting or eliminating chain slap on my tensioner chain? I run a 32/15 gearing on a bike with vertical dropouts, with the chain tensioned with an older Singleator in the push-up position. Everytime I go over some reasonably harsh terrain, I hear the 'clang-clang-clang' of the chain hitting the chainstay. I don't think it's the Singleator hitting the chainstay 'cause the there's no enough chain to make it reach.

Yesterday, I rocked the thing so much that I not only got tons of chainslap over this one trail section, the chain practically slapped itself off the chainring as a result.

As a makeshift solution in the interim, I've merely ziptied the Singleator to the chainstay so that it cannot extend downwards to loosen the chain. Is what people complain about when they say that their Singleators lose tension? Thing is, the Singleator is still pushing up with plenty of tension - it's just that it swings out too easily over bumps.

I know there are springless tensioners out there, but was wondering if there was some fix for this without having to go out and buy a new tensioner.

Thanks a million, folks.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Can you shorten the chain?
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Sofa King We Todd Did
    Cheers, Shiggy - I didn't think of that. Or maybe I did and blocked it out 'cause I was keen to keep the chain at its current length so that I can swap the cog out for a bigger one if/when necessary. As it is now, I can't even fit an 18T cog in there without needing to add links. And the chain sports two Powerlinks right now.

One gear to rule them all
    Maybe a half link would get the slack out for you?

Quote Originally Posted by SpinWheelz
    Cheers, Shiggy - I didn't think of that. Or maybe I did and blocked it out 'cause I was keen to keep the chain at its current length so that I can swap the cog out for a bigger one if/when necessary. As it is now, I can't even fit an 18T cog in there without needing to add links. And the chain sports two Powerlinks right now.
    Todd............. If you can't be kind, at least have the decency to be vague

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Old grips will protect the chain stay and stop the noise.

I have 2 old grips split and zip tied to the chain stay. Not pretty, but cheap and sturdy.