mtbr member

Singleator, up or down?

Just put together my new SS (new frame), and notice I get a lot of frame slap from the Singelator (in addition to losing the chain bumpy stuff, but I think that is caused by a too lose chain). I have it set up so it pushes the chain downward? Should I change the setup so it pushes upward?

ST (a SS newbie)

semi-evolved simian
    Quote Originally Posted by skinny-tire
    Just put together my new SS (new frame), and notice I get a lot of frame slap from the Singelator (in addition to losing the chain bumpy stuff, but I think that is caused by a too lose chain). I have it set up so it pushes the chain downward? Should I change the setup so it pushes upward?

ST (a SS newbie)
    Up is preferable since you get more chain wrap on the rear cog, but...

You shouldn't be getting frame slap (you mean the chain slapping on the frame right ?) with the Singleator. Did you use a cone wrench to put loads of tension on the chain ? That thing should barely move.

mtbr member
    Actually, it's the singelator that is slapping the frame. I never had a problem on the old rig. However, I'm wondering if I tighten the chain some if it would fix the problem (I think it's a link too long). I may also change the set up so it's going up.

Ebo
    mtbr member
    Dec 2003

Up works better....

ST (a SS newbie)
    Grab a 18mm open end wrech and set the spring tension. Make sure you don't over tension it though, because that could cause the spring to pop out of the set hole and then you lose all tension. If this happens, just take it back apart and bend the spring back straight where it pokes into the set hole. As far as chain length goes, certainly make sure its as short as it can be. Otherwise the Singleator will be pushing the chain up too far. I used a Spicer half-link to solve this. Good luck.

semi-evolved simian
    Actually, it's the singelator that is slapping the frame. I never had a problem on the old rig. However, I'm wondering if I tighten the chain some if it would fix the problem (I think it's a link too long). I may also change the set up so it's going up.
    It shouldn't be loose enough to slap the frame. You gotta put a bunch of tension in the spring before you tighten the mounting bolt right down. Grab an 18mm cone wrench and use it on this part of the singleator:
    Attached Images Attached Images

KgB
    SNGLSPD

Push up with zip tie as back up

Is what I used to do.
    down should work if your chain is short enough.

mtbr member
    Ah, that did the trick. Thanks.

mtbr member

why not...

Quote Originally Posted by Mine'sAPint
    Up is preferable since you get more chain wrap on the rear cog, but...

You shouldn't be getting frame slap (you mean the chain slapping on the frame right ?) with the Singleator. Did you use a cone wrench to put loads of tension on the chain ? That thing should barely move.
    ...save some money and get ENO? It's more cost effective, it won't brake, and it's hassle free.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ernesto_from_Wisconsin
    ...save some money and get ENO? It's more cost effective, it won't brake, and it's hassle free.
    You mean you can't stop with it. I knew there was something wrong with the ENO hub. It was just to perfect. Damn.