Just Ride!

Singleator thoughts

Am I correct in assuming that the spring loaded feature of a Singleator is for ease of wheel removal? When pedaling on rough ground, the unit is not really effective unless the spring is given full ratchet tension, which no longer allows easy wheel removal. Note, this is with a King cog, new PC58 chain, and a perfect chain line. It just seems like it would perform better if it were one piece and you used a wrench to loosen the pivot bolt each time on wheel removal. I have considered machining an inner sleeve that would eliminate the spring and lock the two halves together. Any thoughts?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kustomz
    ....Any thoughts?
    ditch the tensioner, get ENO.

mtbr member

Noticed the same thing

Am I correct in assuming that the spring loaded feature of a Singleator is for ease of wheel removal? When pedaling on rough ground, the unit is not really effective unless the spring is given full ratchet tension, which no longer allows easy wheel removal. Note, this is with a King cog, new PC58 chain, and a perfect chain line. It just seems like it would perform better if it were one piece and you used a wrench to loosen the pivot bolt each time on wheel removal. I have considered machining an inner sleeve that would eliminate the spring and lock the two halves together. Any thoughts?
    Since the Singlerator was installed removing tires is a hassle. I have to remove the tension from the tensioner in order to remove the wheel and I just had it with it. I recently ordered a Half-Link from Spicer Cycles, this hopefully will solve the chain tension problem and I'll be able to get rid of the Singlerator.

If you still want to use a tensioner the Soulcraft is the best bet, it doesn't rely on springs but on tension. This way if you get a flat all you need to do is release the tension by unscrewing the bolt and that's it, no cone wrenches or special tools needed.

mtbr member

Ernesto, please explain how ENO works

Quote Originally Posted by ernesto_from_Wisconsin
    ditch the tensioner, get ENO.
    I've seen so many posts recomending the ENO hub that made me curios.

Please explain to us what it does and needs to be done to install it.

SS Chimp
    Soulcraft Convert Works great as long as you rough up the derailleur hanger so the convert can get a good bite when tightened down

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DiRt DeViL
    ...Please explain to us what it does and needs to be done to install it.
    What it does: it turns any frame with vertical dropouts into a true single speed. Why? because the eccentric hub makes the tension. It's like having an EBB, but from the other side of the frame. You can use any frame practically and make it SS: http://www.whiteind.com/eno.htm

EBB are a hassle to adjust. ENO isn't. And it's friendly in the wallet and the peace of mind. You do have to get the hub built to a rum with spokes and nipples, and spoke prep, because it is after all, a hub.

If you like your frame, and don't want to spend $$$ on another SS specific frame, then get ENO.

Here's some of my projects: http://www.adventurefind.com/bikes.html

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Disc ready?

Can you run disc brakes with the ENO hub? I've heard you could not but it appears from the White Industries website that you can.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CrashCanipe
    Can you run disc brakes with the ENO hub? I've heard you could not but it appears from the White Industries website that you can.
    You can on the non eccentric version. Since the eccentric hub is a flip/flop hub, why make it disc? Keep that in mind.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Same problem as you......

I have had the same problems as you with the singulator. I then realized that you have to tighten the spring till there is very little play. Just enough to get the chain off in the event of a flat. It also gets in the way during wheel removal in the push up position. I went to the soulcraft version but that one slips during very rocky decents. A previous poster has a great suggestion with roughing up the derailler hanger b/f installing the Convert. I like the convert better than the singulator b/c it is easier to repair a flat. You can play with your chainring sizes to get a good fit without using a tensioner.

My post is that way --->
    Jan 2004

I'm a little confused as to what the problem is. Are you saying that you are unable to achieve both chain tension and ease of wheel removal?

I don't have that problem. But if it was necessary to compromise wheel removal in order to ensure correct chain tension, then that's fine - it is certainly no harder using a Singleator than it is using regular horizontal drop-outs. If anything it is easier with the SIngleator, though there are other disadvantages.
    Wibble

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ernesto_from_Wisconsin
    You can on the non eccentric version. Since the eccentric hub is a flip/flop hub, why make it disc? Keep that in mind.
    Is it really $150? It's more than my entire frame.

Professional lurker
    I don't have a problem with it at all. I just completely remove the track nut and the wheel just slips out...no hassle.

It's a bigger hassle carrying the wrench.

Ebo
    mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    You could have a nice ENO eccentric wheel built by Webcyclery for about two bills.