Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Single Speeds with long travel forks - non urban bikes

Are any of you guys and gals running your Single speed hardtails as SS trail bikes (not talking urban/FR or skatepark type mtbs here) with long travel (125-130mm) forks and if so, what frames do you have em paired up with?

Any information on your rigs and photos are welcome and appreciated.

Thanks!

Mark

mtbr member
    This is the newest pic I have. I posted it here a while ago. It is honestly kind of overkill for me since I'm a fairly conservative rider but its been fun to play with. As you can see from the picture it still has wimpy rims and no front brake. It now has a 185mm avid mechanical on the front.

Pinball Wizard
    Jan 2004
    Mark,

Heh, looks like we seem to be running around in the same circles when it comes to frames. None of the typical stock frames -- to my knowledge -- were meant for longer-travel forks. The new Unit will have a headtube somewhere around 68* with a 5"-travel fork, since they slacken their geometry for '04. Honestly, I'm anxiously awaiting the release of the Evil Sovereign.

Cheers,

Colin
    death is a star.

mtbr member
    Although designed for DJ, I rode my Kona Cowan for both slalom and XC and liked it. I ran a Psylo at 125mm up front and liked it on the trails as a XC rig.

It has the sliding vertical dropouts like their SS XC hardtail frame.

JAK
    mtbr member

yep!

FOX 5"-->NorthernRockieTrailBikeDeluxe.

I also swap to a KarateMonkey for winter funness and a more trialsy feel. The frame is Custom Ramblumtick built in Montana with the local terrain in mind. I love it. Sam, the builder, did an awesome job! We have similar endeavors/preferences when it comes to riding so he knew exactly what I wanted...Short in the back and a little taller in the front. It still fire/log roads fine, but I prefer a bike that is more trail worthy.
    Night has fallen.
    And there's nothin' we can do about it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by futonrvltnst
    Mark,

Heh, looks like we seem to be running around in the same circles when it comes to frames. None of the typical stock frames -- to my knowledge -- were meant for longer-travel forks. The new Unit will have a headtube somewhere around 68* with a 5"-travel fork, since they slacken their geometry for '04. Honestly, I'm anxiously awaiting the release of the Evil Sovereign.

Cheers,

Colin
    Hey Colin!

I was thinking about the new Unit/Explosif but they did indeed slacken things for 2005 and I don't think there are any 2004s lying around anywhere.

A 2004 Explosif with a Talas would rock in my opinion.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JAK

I also swap to a KarateMonkey for winter funness and a more trialsy feel. The frame is Custom Ramblumtick built in Montana with the local terrain in mind. I love it. Sam, the builder, did an awesome job! We have similar endeavors/preferences when it comes to riding so he knew exactly what I wanted...Short in the back and a little taller in the front. It still fire/log roads fine, but I prefer a bike that is more trail worthy.
    Any photos of this custom bike?

And does this Sam, build frames for a living or just part time?

price? steel I take it?

Geometry specs that you used etc?

thanks!

ali'i hua

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead!

sorta long travel..

had a psylo on my on-one with the adjustable travel, and it was great being able to send the travel all the way out to 125mm for the occasional longer DH run. im running 100's now on both SS's with much satisfaction.

meatier showers

I'm with JAK!

My Vulture has a ~70 degree head angle with my Fox Vanilla 125RL mounted. I'm glad I have a lockout on a fork that offers this much travel. I favor epic XC riding -- have done one over-100 mile day and many over 60 mile days on it. The lockout rocks for those long logging road climbs. Like JAK, I also switch to a Karate Monkey rigid fork in the off-season. Geometry stays close enough between these two forks.

My frame is custom, steel, EBB, short stays, long front center, steeply sloped TT, built around 195mm cranks.

I'm at work, don't have a photo of my bike here. Can post when I get home if you request. Vulture's website is not hard to locate.

--Sparty

Quote Originally Posted by JAK

disciplesofdirt.org
    Remember who
    you wanted to be.

Quote Originally Posted by riverrat
    Jaybo... quit *****ing and move to Texas

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SlowSSer
    sorta long travel..

had a psylo on my on-one with the adjustable travel, and it was great being able to send the travel all the way out to 125mm for the occasional longer DH run. im running 100's now on both SS's with much satisfaction.
    Hmmm.....why didn't I think of that idea - i have a 2002 Psylo that is actually working surprisingly well right now.

Another idea here would be a new Reba - or a Talas.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparticus
    My Vulture has a ~70 degree head angle with my Fox Vanilla 125RL mounted. I'm glad I have a lockout on a fork that offers this much travel. I favor epic XC riding -- have done one over-100 mile day and many over 60 mile days on it. The lockout rocks for those long logging road climbs. Like JAK, I also switch to a Karate Monkey rigid fork in the off-season. Geometry stays close enough between these two forks.

My frame is custom, steel, EBB, short stays, long front center, steeply sloped TT, built around 195mm cranks.

I'm at work, don't have a photo of my bike here. Can post when I get home if you request. Vulture's website is not hard to locate.

--Sparty
    Sparty - I'd love to see photos of your bike.

Thanks!

195mm Cranks!! Holy Moly!!

What bb height did you have to use to accomplish that without bashing your cranks an all sorts of rocks?

mtbr member
    Sort of long travel. It's a 4 - 5 " adjustable Manitou Black Elite. I usually ride up in the 4" position, then switch to 5" going down. I've also got a few stems I switch between...in the photo is the longer of the two I use...I also have an Azonic shorty at 50mm.

Oh, the frame is a custom steel Spicer w/ EBB.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by MMcG
    Sparty - I'd love to see photos of your bike.

Thanks!

195mm Cranks!! Holy Moly!!

What bb height did you have to use to accomplish that without bashing your cranks an all sorts of rocks?
    Sparty's bike [o]:

He is also about 6'3". BB is around 13.5" if I remember correctly.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

JAK
    mtbr member

Some pix of another...

longer travel rig.

Well I have another LongTravel Rig that is back with Rick the builder getting some crimping done to the tubes for for clearance issues...it is a Hunter built like a tank and again rides like a Champ with a 5"er on her. ~16.5" bomber chainstays, 23.5 ETT, steep seat and laid back head angles. Here is what it looks like...I do not have a pic of the Ramblumtick, maybe soon! The Ramblumtick is very similar with the chainstays being a half inch shorter. I had all other suspension lengths before and feel that 5 is optimal for me. I guess I shoulda included this info in my original...it is just that it ain't here right now...Gotta say, Sparty and the General gave me the idea for mine...These fellas have a good handle on geo concerns.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Night has fallen.
    And there's nothin' we can do about it.

banned
    Any photos of this custom bike?

And does this Sam, build frames for a living or just part time?

price? steel I take it?

Geometry specs that you used etc?

thanks!
    Mark, Sam is someone I've mentioned to you before. JAK and Sam and I ride together fairly often. Sam's doing fine work, I was at his shop about 6 weeks ago and saw one of his recent frames, very nice welds.

as to geometry, JAK knows what he got, I'm not clear on it other than the chainstays are short, I think 16", with 26" wheel in the rear.

Recovering Weight Weenie
    Big forks on singlespeeds are awesome.
    The handling is amazing, just like on this one....
    you gotta figure, the bigger the fork, the better, right?

IMO, there isn't much difference between 3" and 5", so just keep the 3" to keep everything in order. The HA variance is amazing when the travel is compressed on a 5" fork. (or bigger)

banned
    Dec 2003

My Fetish SS

With a Vanilla 125 RLC...and I like the extra travel, both up and down. I do use the lockout on big climbs for sure.

Have since switched to XMax XL wheels & Avid Mech discs...looks much meaner now.

meatier showers

Better photo of my sled

15.75" chainstays
    25.5" TT
    195mm cranks
    12.5" BB (with eccentric rotated low)
    17.5" seat tube (c to t)
    ~70 degree head angle
    ~74 degree seat angle
    ~25 lbs

She flies.

--Sparty
    disciplesofdirt.org
    Remember who
    you wanted to be.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Padre
    Big forks on singlespeeds are awesome.
    The handling is amazing, just like on this one....
    you gotta figure, the bigger the fork, the better, right?

IMO, there isn't much difference between 3" and 5", so just keep the 3" to keep everything in order. The HA variance is amazing when the travel is compressed on a 5" fork. (or bigger)
    hahaha that's pretty funny!

That's taking it to the extreme that's for sure.

Explain what you mean about the Head tube angle variance? Do you mean things would get really steep on a HT with a 5" travel fork when it's compressed??

The bikes I see posted here with 5" forks look to be designed well and that they'd handle just fine going up and down.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Mark

Whats up? Evel Monkey here from RM.

This is turning out to be my favorite kind of bike. SS-Aggro-Trail... or whatever.

I have had a P1 (I like the aggresive #s of it) w/ a sherman. I just picked up an 04 P1 frame for cheap, so the new project begins.

Heres the deal:

04 P1 long
    Saint bb/cranks/ring/bash 175mm
    Avid brakes 7 in f - 6 in r (considering Hopes?)
    KMC chain
    RS Pike (considering selling the Talas I got from you before I buy)
    Odi Ruffians
    Holz 1" riser
    King hs
    Holz pedals
    WTB saddle
    Thomson Elite post
    Thomson X4 70x0
    Kenda kenetics 2.35
    SingleTracks w/ a nashbar hub on rear and a 20mm f (need to buy the nashbar)
    waiting for Surly cog

Yeah.

Why do I like this kind of bike. To me this is everything: Light enough for long rides/strong enough for anything/SS because it's just fun!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparticus

15.75" chainstays
    25.5" TT
    195mm cranks
    12.5" BB (with eccentric rotated low)
    17.5" seat tube (c to t)
    ~70 degree head angle
    ~74 degree seat angle
    ~25 lbs

She flies.

--Sparty
    Holy crap dude. I love your cranks. I have always wanted a set of double barrels. To top it off you got some that are extra long. I would trade my mother for those cranks. You are my new hero.

Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
    wow; it's like they were separated at birth.......well, not quite, but.....

ehm, mine's only a measly 100mm fork though.

yeah, i know; different frames, fork, and whatnot.

ramblerambleramble.
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by EvelMtber
    Mark

Whats up? Evel Monkey here from RM.

This is turning out to be my favorite kind of bike. SS-Aggro-Trail... or whatever.

I have had a P1 (I like the aggresive #s of it) w/ a sherman. I just picked up an 04 P1 frame for cheap, so the new project begins.

Heres the deal:

04 P1 long
    Saint bb/cranks/ring/bash 175mm
    Avid brakes 7 in f - 6 in r (considering Hopes?)
    KMC chain
    RS Pike (considering selling the Talas I got from you before I buy)
    Odi Ruffians
    Holz 1" riser
    King hs
    Holz pedals
    WTB saddle
    Thomson Elite post
    Thomson X4 70x0
    Kenda kenetics 2.35
    SingleTracks w/ a nashbar hub on rear and a 20mm f (need to buy the nashbar)
    waiting for Surly cog

Yeah.

Why do I like this kind of bike. To me this is everything: Light enough for long rides/strong enough for anything/SS because it's just fun!
    If you consider selling the Talas - contact me first - I might buy it back from you!

meatier showers

I'll take your sister, too

I have two sets of 195mm Double Barrels.

--Sparty

Quote Originally Posted by williamf777
    Holy crap dude. I love your cranks. I have always wanted a set of double barrels. To top it off you got some that are extra long. I would trade my mother for those cranks. You are my new hero.
    disciplesofdirt.org
    Remember who
    you wanted to be.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    If you consider selling the Talas - contact me first - I might buy it back from you!
    I'll do that. I have only put about 5-10 miles on it, so it's still the same.

Is this a new project you are considering?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast