mtbr member
    May 2010

Single Speed Wins Whiskey 50 Amateur Race??

WTF?

I was there and got my a$$ handed to me or any number of reasons. However, I still can't get over how fast this Nate Miller guy went on a 34x20. I used to be a pretty damn fast cyclist, but even if I had time to train, a lighter bike, blah, blah, blah, I don't think I could come within 20 minutes of that time.

Is anyone else that was there as surprised as me? He was within 25 minutes of Geoff Kabush's winning pro time. Makes me want to give up! Sheez.

mtbr member
    It's impressive for sure, but far from unbelievable. It was great gear selection for the course especially out of Skull Valley where most people just aimed to spin and survive. I would think he put together a decent lead there because he was really at a disadvantage coming back in on the road, the only option being tucking in for the majority of the last 5 miles.

ask
    user
    Way to go Nate! That is impressive. However, I think I am actually as fast or faster on my SS 29r vs my lighter geared bike. Not sure why... just stand up and hammer the climbs instead of gearing down and sitting/spinning through them.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    I totally buy being faster on the climbs (assuming you have the fitness to push the gear), but overall on that course, with all of the pedaling sections, that time is insane.

Basically, I'm saying that he was probably going uphill at least as fast as the fastest pros, and not so much slower on the flats/downhills. Pretty rad, and pretty depressing for me.

He even beat Mata Pua's time on a single speed. He was 35th overall against an international field. Pretty unreal.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    BoonesDaddy - Was he on a 34x20? Are you sure about that? It makes more sense. But this article says 34x10!!! which I really find it hard to believe.

"Nate Miller, who also won at the Sea Otter Classic last week, chose a 34-10 gear ratio for the race today. Surprisingly, he moved into the lead by passing Wehn on the descent after the climb out of Skull Valley."

Whiskey Off Road 2012: Amateur 50 And 25 Proof Results | Cyclingnews.com

Also, 4 out of the top 6 were singlespeeders.

By the way, what did you ride? Also, any idea what Nate Miller was riding? Can't tell from the pics. Looks like some steel 26" frame.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    I rode a fully rigid steel 29er and a 32x19 gear ratio. I imploded on the Skull Valley climb. I could make a tone of excuses, but it's just lack of fitness plain and simple.

34x20 and 32x19 are essentially the same ratio on a 29er, so assuming he was on a 29er, he was WAY on top of that gear, and I was WAY not on top of the gear . Just hard to believe believe for me. I think he lowered the previous single speed time by nearly 20 minutes.

That guy is a beast. I suck.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    So you are sure that he was on a 34x20? (not doubting you, just wondering). Another racer posted that he was on 26" wheels.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Yeah, he said as much (34x20) in a video on some MTB website (maybe cycledirt or something). If he was on 26" wheels on that gear, then that is actually an easier gear than what I ran on my 29er, as there is less distance traveled per revolution or whatever. If that's the case, perhaps "spin to win" is the name of the game on that course...as well as tucking like a mo' fo' on the Skull Valley downhill.

I'd still be amazed if he was on a 26er, but what do I know.

34x10 is stupid. Where do you get a 10 tooth single speed cog?

mtbr member
    Apr 2011

Dead Legs
    Looks like a 26" spot to me... Nice.
    Something Has to be rigid between my legs... so it's my bike.

Got a suspension fork
    Absolutely impressive finish by this guy Nate. the climb out of Skull Valley killed me on my SS. Just not enough endurance training.

Here's my recap of the race.

My Whiskey Off Road 50 recap for 2012
    ONE SHOX, ONE GEAR, LOTS of FUN! www.TrailFu.com My Rides

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    There is a name for people that win big events on a single speed against geared riders. Badass!
    Thanks to www.weavercycleworks.com for my awesome bike frames!

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Sure looks like a 29er Nate Miller was on, in that Singletrack video.

more skier than biker
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalom View Post

Thanks for the video link. I like how that one guy they interview half way through says something like, "oh I dunno, I wish I had about 9 more gears on my bike"....when the winner was on a SS.

gran jefe
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by ask View Post
    I think I am actually as fast or faster on my SS 29r vs my lighter geared bike. Not sure why... just stand up and hammer the climbs instead of gearing down and sitting/spinning through them.
    Pro tip: ride the lighter bike and leave the shifters alone.

mtbr member
    it's worth noting that (to my knowledge) the ONLY pros that were racing on saturday were on SSs, so i'm not too surprised that they took the top spots...don't everyone lose your derailleurs now, you might regret it...

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    What blows my mind is that he was averaging about 15 miles an hour for the entire race!!!

I run 32x20 (most of the time) on my 29er and it feels like the bike spins out way before 15 mph. Even with 32x19 on a fast and smooth course I don't average over 12 and I still feel like I'm spinning like a mad man.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    That's what I'm saying!!! 15 mph on a real mountain bike course (Skull Valley dirt road not withstanding), on a single speed, is hauling ass.

Still blown away. A lot of really fast single speed guys that focus on marathon-distance races and beyond got schooled. I bet Michael Melley was pretty surprised he got beat by so much. That dude usually crushes it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Nate is local here in Park City and making me proud.

This year are:

- First place, singlespeed - Sea Otter
    - First place, record breaking win for all categories - Whiskey 50

- Just won Breckenridge 100 in 3 man team format...

Hell of a year for Nate..

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Nate's list also includes 5th overall in the Galena Grinder (45 mi) and 3rd in Nats singlespeed. Most of that racing in a two-week span.

He was on the spot with a 34-20 at Galena.

Fastest SS time at Nats was the fastest time on the course of anyone, any category, any age.

SS...maybe the wrong gear most of the time...but the fastest times. Nothing wrong about that.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    That was what I thought but I guess some pros came in a little faster. I guess I had that wrong?

I posted on my facebook but I saw that Ken Weins from No Tubes (serious pro) came in a little faster?

This said when I run this app Nate beats him..
    2012 Whiskey Off Road

mtbr member

World championships are coming

You became weak loafing around in that big girly gear! -Soares

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by dieselcruiserhead View Post
    That was what I thought but I guess some pros came in a little faster. I guess I had that wrong?
    2012 Whiskey Off Road
    If you're talking about nationals, Amateur and Pros rode different courses. If you're referring to the Whiskey......I have no idea.