mtbr member
    Dec 2006

Single Speed Update

So I have done several rides on my rigid Kona Unit. What an experience! I am learning that momentum is my friend.
    Yesterday did a trail that has a short but steep climb. On my geared bike I would downshift and slowly make it to the top, seated of course.

On the Kona I kept off the brakes coming to the hill and stood. Got to the top faster than I would have with the geared bike. I bet geared riders scratch their heads in amazement as single speeders pass them on a climb.

I am so sore from riding this thing but loving it.

I now see the need to be out of the saddle.

Question for you experienced single speeders:

Many times I am not standing up out of the seat but rather just hover above the saddle to clear roots and small stuff. Seems to work. Just wondering if it is preferable to stand more upright?

I am picturing BMX racers who are way off the saddle but as I mentioned I am pretty comfortable hovering unless i need to stand to get to the top of bigger hills.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Yep, I pop up enough to allow the bike to flow with the bumps without jarring me around if I was seated. It's not a full stand, but more of a hover as you described.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by drjay9051 View Post
    Yesterday did a trail that has a short but steep climb. On my geared bike I would downshift and slowly make it to the top, seated of course.

On the Kona I kept off the brakes coming to the hill and stood. Got to the top faster than I would have with the geared bike. I bet geared riders scratch their heads in amazement as single speeders pass them on a climb.
    I would like to point out that geared riders can and do stand up and mash short steep climbs as well. Just because they have granny gears doesn't mean they use them.

On the other hand, if i have an option to downshift, i will granny gear it up every incline i see. Thats why i ride SS. I suck on gears.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Sundragon View Post
    Yep, I pop up enough to allow the bike to flow with the bumps without jarring me around if I was seated. It's not a full stand, but more of a hover as you described.
    same here. i lift up off the seat a little for a short bit climbing to absorb a big bump/rut/rock/root/etc. downhill is sustained hover.

i also purchased a carbon seatpost that flexes. this really takes the sting out of those bumps you might miss. i have the syntace hiflex post and highly recommend it. it's the same as the niner RDO post, just rebranded. cannondale also makes a nice, flexy post.

Just Ride
    I prefer to stand and mash. Is one of the reasons I abandoned gears in the first place. Would be nice to have taller gears from time to time, but other than that, forget it! Now if I ever decide to race occasionally, I'll put my old geared bike back together and use that. Just for the top end speed!
    SS ==> Nut up or Shut up!