mtbr member

Single Speed Shoes

For those mortals that have to hike-a-bike occasionally and use clipless pedals, what is your preferred shoe? Not just brand and model, but also type. High end shoes tend to have board stiff soles, great for pedaling efficiency but suck to walk in. The there are the more "touring" style shoes with greater flex in the soles but less efficiency on the pedals.

I think I have settled on using the more "touring" style shoe with crank bros Mallet or Acid (I own both) pedals for extra foot support and have picked up a pair of Pearl Izumi X-Road shoes as my Lake shoes are quite stiff.
    Former bicycle mechanic for 8 years, current soil scientist.

Blog

mtbr member
    I had a pair of pearl izumi x-alp shoes that was great, except they were lace-only. Originally got these for cyclocross racing but they were pretty good for mountain biking too. The only problem I had was that the more traditional soles would not grip my pedals (candys) very well when it got wet - the chunkier soles on my bontrager shoes definitely helps in the winter, but makes walking more awkard. Alas, the x-alps went down with a wrecked car a few months ago and now I have no choice.

I am saw the x-alp "enduro III" model and put it on my Christmas list - this has 3 straps (1 ratcheting) and looks pretty excellent. X-Alp Enduro III - Pearl Izumi

I read something from interbike about their new "x-project" shoes that are designed to have a more flexible sole for walking. These are the ones I really want, but they don't come out till next year. We'll have to see what santa claus brings. Pearl Izumi X Project Shoe Launch | Mountain Bike Review

I definitely prefer these types of shoes. They are great for commuting too, or any time that you don't want to be walking around awkardly in your bike shoes. I don't really notice the decreased stiffness all that much, possibly because I suck at pedaling.
    Yeah I only carry cans cause I'm a weight weenie.

mtbr member
    Currently enjoying my Pearl Izumi X-Alp Enduro. Easy HAB even on wet rocks and roots. After about 3-5 rides, hot spots from constant climbing (1hr of constant standing) seem to have disappeared. I've got about 1300mi on my pair and after a cleaning in the sink, they look nearly new. I keep thinking i need to buy a new pair now out of fear they may not make them when mine wear out. I like them that much.

I am also curious about the X-Project shoes they are working on. More grippy sole and a bit stiffer like a road shoe.

LOL. Someone types faster than i do. heh.

mtbr member
    when riding trails, how far do you have to walk before you wish you had a more walkable shoe? I have to walk a once in a while, but it would have to be quite a bit more walking before I wish I had some different shoes on.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mack_turtle View Post
    when riding trails, how far do you have to walk before you wish you had a more walkable shoe? I have to walk a once in a while, but it would have to be quite a bit more walking before I wish I had some different shoes on.
    Not far on uneven terrain with the narrow, hard compound tread and 2 x 4 stiff soles. Not very comfortable in these situations. The wider trail hiking type sole found on the X shoes looks to be much more comfortable.
    Former bicycle mechanic for 8 years, current soil scientist.

Blog

mtbr member
    SIDI Dom's.

SPP
    Rigid.

mtbr member
    I got a pair of Specialized Rimes this season and have been really happy with them.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Full support and a ratchet strap, you choose your favorite flavor that you like best. Only way to go for the POWAHHHHH!!!! Walking should be painful, to teach your prissy legs a lesson

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Good point, OP. Around here there are lots of trails with rock gardens, some are passable with skill and a good line, then there are the pedal smashing, rim twisting, endo-likely variety that definitely are not passable. Its these that I find difficult, as the tread slips pretty easily on the rocks. But I'd probably prefer what I have, Giro Privateer that has hard plastic cleats but great for pedaling. So, I'll just continue to make the best of it....

mtbr member
    Lovin my Mavic alpine-XL's, feel just like a pair of nice sneakers. Comfortable ALL day on and off the bike!

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Pearl Izumi X-Alp Elite's here. Like them a lot, but would like a little more support under pedals. Maybe new Project X shoes will Bethe best of both.

Poacher
    Sep 2010

Sette Enduro is really good for hiking! $49 Pricepoint

I have $180, carbon sole fancy schmansey Louis Garneau, and SIDI, both are great purpose shoes, but the SETTE Enduro for $50 has real rubber sole for rock climbing(not hard plastic). Also, they are wide at the base and very stable walkers. Really great shoe for s.s. fun rides.

mtbr member
    I have some Sidi "racing slippers" for, well, the odd race that I still can be bothered to do and for the equally rare dry, dusty days that we occasionally get.
    The rest of the time I use Shimano MT90 boots - you can walk well enough in these, although the most walking I ever do is when I stop en route to do some trail maintenance or clearing.
    It's wet most of the year here (or so it seems, anyway) so they suit me well enough.

When I'm riding in Greece (and think that I'll have to hike for a bit) I have a pair of Specialized "Buzzsaw" boots which grip well enough on wet limestone rocks.

mtbr member
    I have two pairs that I use regularly, coincidentally both Specialized

Comps: Nice and stiff, "racy", sucks to walk in off the bike. I use these for the occasional race, fast group rides where I'm more concerned about going fast, and any CX or "road" riding

Rimes: not as stiff, way better off the bike; I use these for any big mountain or super technical rides where there will be a lot of walking, or on a casual road or trail ride where there will be a lot of off the bike BSing, going in for a beer, or whatever.

I have the Northwave Striker SBS. I liked them enough that I felt compelled to review them. The lugs are awesome too. I think they use a softer durometer polyurethane for them. I haven't slipped in them yet the few times I get off the bike.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tone's View Post
    Id scrap the passion forum all together, its a breeding ground for unicorn milkers, rainbow chasers and candy cotton farters.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by rob1035 View Post
    I have two pairs that I use regularly, coincidentally both Specialized

Comps: Nice and stiff, "racy", sucks to walk in off the bike. I use these for the occasional race, fast group rides where I'm more concerned about going fast, and any CX or "road" riding

Rimes: not as stiff, way better off the bike; I use these for any big mountain or super technical rides where there will be a lot of walking, or on a casual road or trail ride where there will be a lot of off the bike BSing, going in for a beer, or whatever.
    Weird. The Comps are rated at 5.0 and the Rimes are rated at 7.0 on Specialized stiffness scale.

Do you think that it has to do with the sole having more grip that it feels better?

balance_fit
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Bike Whisperer View Post
    For those mortals that have to hike-a-bike occasionally and use clipless pedals, what is your preferred shoe?
    I have a nice pair of Lake carbon soled dedicated mtb shoes which i like for riding very much. Liked, that is.

On a recent long ride with several hike a bike sections, after a very hard and long hill, i had to go down again, walking, to help a sick rider by pushing the bike uphill while he walked up besides. Between this walk and the subsequent hike a bike sections, i peeled the skin off both my Achilles and was left with bloodied heels for the rest of a holiday riding weekend.

I went to the bike shop in search for something different, bypassed all of the dedicated mtb shoes, going right to the Pearl Izumi X-Alp models. The difference is evident just by demo'ing this shoes. They're made for hiking, got good traction and the lacing system is snug. The difference between the carbon Lakes and these in pushing the pedal is negligible (Candy pedals) but off the bike, the comfort for walking is superior.

I don't know if my case with the peeled heels is unique, but i feel that one should be ready for walking at any time on the trail. Maybe a mechanical, an injury or a peer in need of walking back home. No more dedicated mtb shoes for me.
    Simple, not easy.

Poacher
    Sep 2010
    I still think it is tough to beat Pricepoint Sette Enduro $49 shoe for hike a bike. Save the high dollar shoes for main rides.

mtbr member
    5-10 Impact 2 low nuff said

Poacher
    Sep 2010
    I forgot, some use flats, that would make for a good hike a bike shoe. I need to try some flats/shoes one of these days for singlspeeding.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rusheleven View Post
    Weird. The Comps are rated at 5.0 and the Rimes are rated at 7.0 on Specialized stiffness scale.

Do you think that it has to do with the sole having more grip that it feels better?
    That's really odd, since the Comps are noticably stiffer (to me...) in the hand, on the pedal, and on foot...its hard to believe that a slight difference in the rubber on the bottom makes that much of a difference. My comps are about 3 years old, maybe they softened them or something?

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    ^ I suppose that is possible. Though I can't imagine that specialized would take a shoe and make it worse on purpose. . .

I'm really surprised/impressed that they are holding their stiffness after three years of SS Riding. That is pretty cool in and of itself.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    i run flats and a merrell shoe for ride and hike...super comfortable both on and off the bike...