Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Will Ride For Beer!

Single Speed rear tire. What do you run, and why?

I have converted my Kona King Kahuna to a single speed. Right now I have a Maxxis Ignitor on the rear. It works but loses traction in the steep loose stuff. I also tried an old Botrager 29-2 with even worse results. What do you use< and why?

Basura Blanca
    Jan 2004
    I'm running a Maxxis Ikon, after slicing the sidewall on my (non-EXO) Ignitor during a ride down in Tucson. I'd read that the Ikon, offered in the EXO sidewall like the Ignitor, was essentially a lighter, faster-rolling replacement for the Ignitor. I've been pleased w/ how well the sidewalls have held up to the rocks, and it's got decent volume and rolling resistance for a rear tire. Hooks up well, although the short chainstays on my bike help with that. My only gripe is that it's wearing faster than I expected. I may look at a Geax offering next time.
    - Joe
    We rejoice in our suffering, knowing that suffering produces endurance, and endurance produces character.

Warrior's Society
    Too many to list.

Really like the Ikon Exo.

Am also a huge fan of the Nano.

Geax AKA was pretty good, but wore out waaaayyy too fast.

I prefer low profile knobbies for here in So. Cal.
    I crashed hard enough on my Tallboy to break my leg,
    The carbon is way more durable than most people.

mtbr member
    I just installed an Ikon on the rear of mine, Nevegal on the front. Haven't tried the combo yet but should work well for my area.

Dive Bomber
    I use ardent, better traction much much faster and lighter than nevegal.
    Good grip for steep climb, so far so good never slip even on wet rocks or concrete.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jackspade View Post
    I use ardent, better traction much much faster and lighter than nevegal.
    Good grip for steep climb, so far so good never slip even on wet rocks or concrete.
    On the front or rear? Main reason I went with the Nevegal up front on my bike is that I have two new ones just hanging in the shed. I hate to see them go to waste. That, and even though they are slow, they sure do hook up like nobody's business and here with loads of mud, rocks, and roots, they are proven performers. Once I need to buy new fronts, I'll probably go with something that is a faster tire though.

Damn Fool
    Jul 2010
    Depends.... In the summer, I like either a rocket Ron or a Conti race king. Once the weather turns wet ill turn to something a bit more beefy. I've got a WTB prowler waiting on the wall for fall time. Previously I had a WTB moto captor on the back end for when things got nasty
    It's not about being better than others, it's about getting the best out of myself.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Kenda Slant6 currently. Rolls much better than the Ignitor I had on there, a bit more volume too.

Dive Bomber
    Quote Originally Posted by Nubster View Post
    On the front or rear? Main reason I went with the Nevegal up front on my bike is that I have two new ones just hanging in the shed. I hate to see them go to waste. That, and even though they are slow, they sure do hook up like nobody's business and here with loads of mud, rocks, and roots, they are proven performers. Once I need to buy new fronts, I'll probably go with something that is a faster tire though.
    Nevegal on rear is what I don't like but for front works fine and doesn't even feel slowing me down, It's still a great tire for my uphill training - I use ardent for race and it's a blast the difference is very noticeable.

I am not doing good on any off-road even with the best off-road tire out there, it's just I don't have skills for it.

Trail Prospector
    Prefer big volume tires, and for durability the Ardent 2.4 EXO have been the best. Heavy, yes, but fast and durable. Been tearing up sidewalls of the lighter tires, Saguaro, Ra-Ra, Race King, and am now curious to try the Ikon EXO.

Wondering if the Ikon is a high volume 2.2 like the Saguaro & Race King. Any thoughts here?
    The best is the one you want to ride most often..

mtbr member
    Anyone tried a 29er Racing Ralph 2.25 on the rear set up tubeless?

I'm running Specy Fast Track TL Ready. They're good for geared bikes but when I stand up and mash, it looses grip quickly.

rebmem rbtm
    Heavy WTB Weirwolf UST that I got off chainlove for <20 bucks. Traction is good and it is doing tubeless with negligble air loss on a Stans rim with two scoops of sealant.

I prefer big volume tires too but this 2.1 has done better than expected and has been reliable.

Warrior's Society
    Quote Originally Posted by Flyin_W View Post
    Prefer big volume tires, and for durability the Ardent 2.4 EXO have been the best. Heavy, yes, but fast and durable. Been tearing up sidewalls of the lighter tires, Saguaro, Ra-Ra, Race King, and am now curious to try the Ikon EXO.

Wondering if the Ikon is a high volume 2.2 like the Saguaro & Race King. Any thoughts here?

Find the Ikon to run a little on te small side.

Mounted to a Creat and an Arch....they seem a bit narrow.
    I crashed hard enough on my Tallboy to break my leg,
    The carbon is way more durable than most people.

Desert RAT
    I try and use whatever I can find on sale. Our local trails destroy tires!

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    conti x-king protect 2.2 front (670gr) & maxxis crossmark ust 2.1 rear (850gr) - both tubeless.
    Will be trying a x-king protect on the rear soon.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I run the Ignitor front and rear - tubeless - best traction I have found on our dry, loose trails in the Canadian Rockies. Hubby runs the Ikon but they are not as aggressive so I would suspect you will not get better traction with them. I have run the Racing Ralphs tubeless as well and like them - faster than the Ignitor, but not as much traction.

Trail Prospector
    Quote Originally Posted by 2times View Post
    Yes, mounted on a Flow. It's not very big volume so I ran it @ 32 psi, on trails has good grip, and is r-e-a-l-l-y fast. Notice that as a rear, the Ra-Ra's wear out quickly.

Thanks, mtbikej for the answer re: Ikon volume/size.
    The best is the one you want to ride most often..

Bad cat!
    Hans Dampf 2.35 is a biggun, calipers say it's more like 2.4 run tubeless on a Stan's Crest. Heavy at 920 g (my scale), he likes his strudel, but no complaints on climbing traction here. My Unit came stock with ignitors, they were OK I thought, but not so much now that things are super loose and dusty...

Riding and lovin it.
    For the Chicago area ( clay, rocks, slick soft mud) I've been running tubeless Captain Controls 2.2f 2.0r for the last year with great results.

Conti Race King 2.2 F/R. They came on my bike when I bought it. They work so I haven't bothered to change them.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbikej View Post
    Find the Ikon to run a little on te small side.

Mounted to a Creat and an Arch....they seem a bit narrow.
    This. On my WTB Dual Duty they seem taller than they are wide. Ok for volume, but, nowhere near my 2.4 Ardent. I think i measured the tread around 54mm. I do like the weight, grip, and roll the Ikon delivers. Just not as much as the Ardent's roll, grip, and volume. My Ardent tread width is 60mm. I run them in the front and just bought a carbon fork to offset the tire weight because i like the Ardent that much for SoCal.

OPer, if you're not hooking up with your Ignitor in the back, you will need to look into big knobs or your technique. I like faster rolling in the back and will accept a loss of grip for it. Although, i spin out less due to the bigger gear i climb on the SS compared to my gearie. I also power my rear wheel into the earth more on the SS while climbing and mashing to get more grip. Currently got a Racing Ralph in the rear.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 2times View Post
    I am running RaRa's on my rigid ss.

Fast rolling and light.

Front 2.4, rear 2.25. Tubeless, of course.

They work well for me here in Westchester County, NY...

SPP
    Rigid.

Attack Position
    2.3 WTB ExiWolf Race, Gorilla tubeless at 28PSI. It's what I have available...

Fairly fast rolling and good traction.

mtbr member
    I like the crossmark 2.1 as a rear tire except for its sidewall tearing tendencies. Three people, including myself, have gashed crossmarks, non-ust.

Right now on my light wheelset I am experimenting with a conti speed king 2.3 as a rear tire and so far so good.

On my heavy wheels I have been running CST PRO caballero 2.4's for years. At least 5-6 years and I am stocked up to keep running them. I don't know why I enjoy that tire so much.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by boostin View Post
    I like the crossmark 2.1 as a rear tire
    I have run the Crossmark as well and liked it ... definitely gotta run it tubeless with the right pressure and not so good if it's muddy.

SPP
    Rigid.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast