mtbr member
    Oct 2004

Single Speed offroad?

I have wanted for about 2 years to go fixed offroad. I plan on going this weekend and wonder if anyone has any pointers. I have been fixed on the road off and on for about 8 years. I have taken my fixedgear road bike with road slicks offroad on very mellow trails and have done some jumps and a drop offs. If someone has a fixedgear mountain bike in socal and wants to go riding let me know. I know my first time offroad is going to be an experience.

Ron

mtbr member

Ahhh!

Another fixie, Unfortunately I live in Northen Cal, I did Sea Otter on my fixie and what an experience that was, since you been on one longer than I have I don't think you'll have any problems with riding one on the dirt.
    It's just like riding on 1 hell of a bumpy road and having that death grip to hang on.
    If you ever come up this way pm me.

CrAzY AndY
    HaMaNa hAmAnA haMaNa

Needed Less ~ Did More
    Quote Originally Posted by fixedgearron
    I have wanted for about 2 years to go fixed offroad. I plan on going this weekend and wonder if anyone has any pointers. I have been fixed on the road off and on for about 8 years. I have taken my fixedgear road bike with road slicks offroad on very mellow trails and have done some jumps and a drop offs. If someone has a fixedgear mountain bike in socal and wants to go riding let me know. I know my first time offroad is going to be an experience.

Ron
    There is lots of good info on www.63xc.com which is a fixed-off-road dedicated site

Drops and logs are the tricky bits, if you can wheelie-drop / over them you have a good chance of clearing them!

My prefered technique is to follow other, non-fixie, riders very closely so I don't have a choice to bottle out of the tricky bits

Good luck,

SSP
    "Put any one on one of these singlespeed bikes and they could not help but have fun"
    -
    Otis Guy talking about klunkers c1976

mtbr member
    Fixie off-road is alot of fun. I found running a lower gear useful, I ended up with 38:18 being the best for me and my terrain. Use a good cog, it's alot easier to strip the hub threads with a lower ratio. Front brakes are useful. I didnot find front suspension to be much of an advantage. Logs, rocks and other obstacles require some timing, front wheelies or small hops to set the pedals.

Cheers,

Tom

hispanic mechanic

I ride fixed in Sandy Eggo...

Ron
    I agree with the recommendation for 63xc. It's a great site! Matt Chester is supposed to have an updated set-up page on there soon.
    Let me know if you want to get together some time and ride!

the los
    "Shut up body and do what I tell you."
    Jens Voight

http://teamjva.com/jens-voigt-soundboard/

mtbr member

Ron
    i started riding fixed off road at santiago oaks.a favorite fixed ride is old camp&the luge
    vision quest was fun.ive sicne moved to az.i found rear brakes annoying pedal timing is important,learn to slide the back end around on corners and when coming up to rocks &water bars slide the back wheel to position pedals.just have fun.
    Riding single speed is my Crossfit!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Its a blast!

But in technical trails it feels alot like work. When I ride fixed on the trails it is set up 32:16 with a preferable front disc brake.

got a video here that shows me riding fixed and urban:
    http://red-haze.com/vids/UrbanLegendsmtbr.wmv

haven't ridden the fixie for a few months, been spending some quality time on my Vulture SS. nice

bike ON

bob
    red-haze
    The more I know the more I know I don't know.
    Let the bike ride the trail, you ride the bike.
    Look where you want to go, not where you don't want to go.

Kill your... television

Sweet video

Quote Originally Posted by red-haze.com
    But in technical trails it feels alot like work. When I ride fixed on the trails it is set up 32:16 with a preferable front disc brake.

got a video here that shows me riding fixed and urban:
    http://red-haze.com/vids/UrbanLegendsmtbr.wmv

haven't ridden the fixie for a few months, been spending some quality time on my Vulture SS. nice

bike ON

bob
    I goota get back to work!

mtbr member

Are you serious?

Quote Originally Posted by fixgeardan
    i started riding fixed off road at santiago oaks.a favorite fixed ride is old camp&the luge
    vision quest was fun.ive sicne moved to az.i found rear brakes annoying pedal timing is important,learn to slide the back end around on corners and when coming up to rocks &water bars slide the back wheel to position pedals.just have fun.
    I've thought about trying fixed off-road, but seeing no other alternative to that kind of riding is what's stopped me (well, that and I'm too lazy/cheap to build another wheel.). Is this how all fixed-gear off-roaders ride?

Skidding everywhere is horribly bad for trails, and riding like that just gives ammunition to other trail user groups who already want us off the trails.

I'm all for fixed-gear riding (I ride fixed on the road daily.), and I'm sure there are plenty of talented fixed-gear riders that can ride without tearing up the trails, but if you can't control your speed without skidding everywhere maybe you should put a freewheel back on, or suffer a bit with shorter cranks so you can clear tight corners and rocky sections without skidding through them.

At the very least please don't advise other riders to go out and skid through all the corners on their favorite trail.

-Trevor

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TrevorInSoCal
    I've thought about trying fixed off-road, but seeing no other alternative to that kind of riding is what's stopped me (well, that and I'm too lazy/cheap to build another wheel.). Is this how all fixed-gear off-roaders ride?

Skidding everywhere is horribly bad for trails, and riding like that just gives ammunition to other trail user groups who already want us off the trails.

I'm all for fixed-gear riding (I ride fixed on the road daily.), and I'm sure there are plenty of talented fixed-gear riders that can ride without tearing up the trails, but if you can't control your speed without skidding everywhere maybe you should put a freewheel back on, or suffer a bit with shorter cranks so you can clear tight corners and rocky sections without skidding through them.

At the very least please don't advise other riders to go out and skid through all the corners on their favorite trail.

-Trevor
    i think i need to correct what i had previously written.i read what i had written and can see how i gave the wrong impression about fixed riding.i am not an out of control trail destroyer if you ever get a chance to ride with a fixed gear rider youll see fixie riders are much smoother and less destructive to trails than most riders out there.ive been involved with warriors society some of my closest friends are very active in trail maint in you area ,so im very aware of trail problems damage and with other trail groups.os again i apologize for any wrong impresions that i gave for fixed riding.i strongly recomend that you try fixed on the dirt i think youll have a better understanding of what i couldnt describe in words.heres a couple ideas for cheap fixed wheels weld up a shimano free hub it works great.or if youve got a thread on free wheel use a track cog and old bottom bracket lockring it works great also.if your ever in the prescott az area contact me ill show you around.

'r you some kinda ssissy?
    another scorcher, muy bien. my pointers, whatch your pedal timing, you dont want to break a toe, make sure you have a good front break, your first tecnical downhill will be an eye opener. and lastly, save the skid marks for your underware.

'r you some kinda ssissy?
    anouther scorcher, muy bien. my tips? make sure you have a good front break, maybe even a rear break too, watch your pedal timing, you don't want to break a toe. lastly, save the skid marks for your underware.

Recovering Weight Weenie
    Quote Originally Posted by cRasHmAstER
    Another fixie, Unfortunately I live in Northen Cal, I did Sea Otter on my fixie and what an experience that was...
    He....I remember that! Here you are..in all your fixed-cyclocross-sandal-wearing-off-road glory.. you were 1st for a whilel! I was riding rigid and suffering along.. I remember riding up on you watching you bounce around way worse than I was and eventually you almost bounced right off the side of the s-track.. and if I remember correctly..you were pretty banged up... way to go and finish that thing!

[thanks to Aosty for the great picture]
    Attached Images Attached Images

USB Rep'n

axe murdered alert!

Quote Originally Posted by sslos
    I agree with the recommendation for 63xc. It's a great site! Matt Chester is supposed to have an updated set-up page on there soon.
    Let me know if you want to get together some time and ride!

the los
    this guy sounds like he's just luring you in for the kill. proceed with caution!
    though hope is frail, it must prevail - Taj Weekes

betam eh-wud-eh-HA-lehu y
    eh-nay Ityopia!

Don't be a sheep
    Sep 2004

Wow, fixed geared riders are THAT good?

if you ever get a chance to ride with a fixed gear rider youll see fixie riders are much smoother and less destructive to trails than most riders out there.
    Have you ever done the Vision Quest on a geared bike, How did you do? With those skills you probably won huh?

mtbr member

... and if we just ...

Quote Originally Posted by Rivet
    Have you ever done the Vision Quest on a geared bike, How did you do? With those skills you probably won huh?
    i did VQ twice on a freewheeled single speed the year before last did it in 6:03 second single speed seventh over all.that was a good day but i think i might have slid the tire on motorway.

mtbr member

Ok...

i think i need to correct what i had previously written.i read what i had written and can see how i gave the wrong impression about fixed riding.i am not an out of control trail destroyer if you ever get a chance to ride with a fixed gear rider youll see fixie riders are much smoother and less destructive to trails than most riders out there.ive been involved with warriors society some of my closest friends are very active in trail maint in you area ,so im very aware of trail problems damage and with other trail groups.os again i apologize for any wrong impresions that i gave for fixed riding.i strongly recomend that you try fixed on the dirt i think youll have a better understanding of what i couldnt describe in words.heres a couple ideas for cheap fixed wheels weld up a shimano free hub it works great.or if youve got a thread on free wheel use a track cog and old bottom bracket lockring it works great also.if your ever in the prescott az area contact me ill show you around.

I'll give ya the benefit of the doubt on this one. I've met a few of the Warriors Society riders and they seem like pretty cool bunch, who probably wouldn't put up with such hooliganism on their trails.

Having ridden fixed on the road for a little while now (just over a year.) and knowing what it's like to lay down a nice, long skid on a fixie your post brought visions to mind of a mountain biker barrelling into switchbacks, locking it up and throwing a big power-slide through the corner before rolling on...

While on the road that can be kind of fun, if a little hard on tires (and knees?), you can imagine my horror when I thought this was the riding technique you were advocating.

-Trevor

passenger/engine

Yes, rear brake, good

and do watch your toes. I tried fixie this Summer here in MD with my rigid 'cross bike, where there are lots of roots an rocks and big logs to hop, and I did my best when I could time my pedal stroke to peak over whatever obstacle I was on. Sometimes I needed to get up out of the saddle and unweight the rear wheel and lock-legs to make sure the stroke would peak as I went over the log, but this didn't necessarliy mean I did any nasty skidding.

It seems to me that if one rides fixie, there is so much more potential for feeling the ground under the tire, either losing the contact patch to the point of crashing or avoiding a crash to set the cranks in line to clean an obstacle; so, a fixie rider would do less damage in making the moves necessary to avoid toe-breaking strokes, than one might do at speed with a free-wheeling rig, just to make it around a corner faster. I guess that means that fixie riding won't take you through it faster, but it might take you through it cleaner?

Try it, you'ill like it. It sounds like you have a lot of experience that will transfer.

Michael
    "Look for your breath; it's always there... Make friends with your breath." Thannisaro Bhikku

mtbr member
    well put thats what i was thinking but it sure didnt come out in words that way .

-arschloch-
    Apr 2004
    sheesh, listening to you guys talk about fixies makes it sound like a blast. i may have to give it a shot this winter on my SS cross bike.
    To air is human, to dig is divine.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    I pretty much ride fixed all the time, go with a bigger gear than your freewheel. As far as skidding goes you don`t have any reason to (i use both brakes), you can control your speed easier with a fixed set up than on that coasts. The best trick out there is before a log or rock that you would normally bunny hop, lift your back wheel off the ground level out your cranks in the air and as soon as the wheel hits the ground bunny hop as normal. Sounds complicated but the less you think about it the better. To me it is much smother and amazingly quiet in the woods. good luck

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by STEELJOCKEY
    I pretty much ride fixed all the time, go with a bigger gear than your freewheel. As far as skidding goes you don`t have any reason to (i use both brakes), you can control your speed easier with a fixed set up than on that coasts. The best trick out there is before a log or rock that you would normally bunny hop, lift your back wheel off the ground level out your cranks in the air and as soon as the wheel hits the ground bunny hop as normal. Sounds complicated but the less you think about it the better. To me it is much smother and amazingly quiet in the woods. good luck

Last Sunday I rode fix for my first time, what a blast. It was easier than I thought and it did seem like it was much easier to slow down having my legs as extra breaks. If you familiar with Aliso woods I just did the easier trails like coyote both ways and up and down chole. I didn't want to push my luck on Rock-it or Lynx. I rode for about an hour and after 2 days of rest it still hurts trying to go up or down stairs.

Ron