Results 1 to 18 of 18
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    16

    Single Speed Mountain Bike Help

    Hello all,

    I am searching very hard for a single speed mountain bike with disc brakes and around a 17.5 inch frame for under 500. I'm looking for something with a rigid fork that feels at home in the city, but can take up on some single track once in a while. Any suggestions??

    I saw a Bianchi MUSS that looked cool - anything else competitive?

    Thanks in advance

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    16
    I'd be willing to build something up if I could still be around $500.

  3. #3
    lone rider
    Reputation: amillion3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    215
    http://www.redlinebicycles.com/adultbikes/monocog.html

    It only has v-brakes, but they should perform well enough for you. Higher end models (for more $$) come with disc brakes.
    It's only funny until someone gets hurt, and then it's hilarious.
    --Bill Hicks

  4. #4
    808+909 = Party Good Time
    Reputation: chumbox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    2,039
    Can sometimes find older GT Peace 9r's for that price.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    102
    I really like my Nashbar 9er. It comes with v-brakes, but it's only $349.99 right now. You could definately afford to buy a good front disc. (you won't need front and rear discs on a SS bike)

    http://www.nashbar.com/bikes/Product..._200274_200516



    I added a Magura Marta SL and it will stop the bike on a dime. I really don't even need a rear brake.
    Last edited by ctaggart; 08-15-2009 at 03:08 PM.

  6. #6
    More Bacon
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    49
    I just got a 2009 GT Peace 26r for $499 (I believe it's the Australian version) at Performance Bike. It's a US Exclusive only offer. Here's the link.

  7. #7
    Drinking the Slick_Juice
    Reputation: nuck_chorris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    1,812
    "If women don't find handsome , they should at least find you handy."-Red Green

  8. #8
    organically fed
    Reputation: w00t!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    1,173
    One of the funniest things about this site is that the best reviews always come from the guys who just bought their stuff yesterday.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    102
    Quote Originally Posted by w00t!
    One of the funniest things about this site is that the best reviews always come from the guys who just bought their stuff yesterday.

    Clarify please.

  10. #10
    Drinking the Slick_Juice
    Reputation: nuck_chorris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    1,812
    Quote Originally Posted by ctaggart
    Clarify please.
    he means that people that buy the Motobeacane buy the bike and when it arrives they review it, they dont review it after a long term test. then there reviews inspire others to buy into there poor reviews and find out the faults with it once they have already bought it
    "If women don't find handsome , they should at least find you handy."-Red Green

  11. #11
    Mtbr Forum Sponsor
    Reputation: bikesdirect's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    931
    Quote Originally Posted by w00t!
    One of the funniest things about this site is that the best reviews always come from the guys who just bought their stuff yesterday.

    Not Really

    See Dirt Rag Below

    http://www.dirtragmag.com/print/arti...=stuff_reviews

    But it is true that lots of people get excited when they receive their new bike and find it is more than they expected

    But there are those like three 3 buyers that road over 4000 miles cross country and posted everyday to with pictures - really interesting

    http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/p..._id=61511&v=Hu

    However, since we sell the same stuff as you can buy in LBS; just for less money, there are lots of cyclists who get great long-term use out of our stuff and bike shop stuff alike.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    102
    So, have you made a decision?

  13. #13
    Drinking the Slick_Juice
    Reputation: nuck_chorris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    1,812
    Quote Originally Posted by bikesdirect
    Not Really

    See Dirt Rag Below

    http://www.dirtragmag.com/print/arti...=stuff_reviews

    But it is true that lots of people get excited when they receive their new bike and find it is more than they expected

    But there are those like three 3 buyers that road over 4000 miles cross country and posted everyday to with pictures - really interesting

    http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/p..._id=61511&v=Hu

    However, since we sell the same stuff as you can buy in LBS; just for less money, there are lots of cyclists who get great long-term use out of our stuff and bike shop stuff alike.
    but it says on the top tube (of the outcast 29) that the bike is not intended for offroad use,
    also ive seen a lot of reviews complaining about the hubs , weak aluminum, and the china made components
    "If women don't find handsome , they should at least find you handy."-Red Green

  14. #14
    Drinking the Slick_Juice
    Reputation: nuck_chorris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    1,812
    the nashbar frame is probably the cheapest and best deal out there.
    "If women don't find handsome , they should at least find you handy."-Red Green

  15. #15
    xls
    xls is offline
    Eduardo Naranja
    Reputation: xls's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    477
    Used bikes? I bought a basically new Jamis Exile last year for way under your budget. Came with disc brakes and a crummy front suspension fork. The frame is the best part of the bike, but I've actually done a 24h race (not solo) on it with all the stock parts.

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Broccoli's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    5,769
    Quote Originally Posted by nuck_chorris
    but it says on the top tube (of the outcast 29) that the bike is not intended for offroad use,
    Huh?


    Quote Originally Posted by nuck_chorris
    also ive seen a lot of reviews complaining about the hubs , weak aluminum, and the china made components
    Where? On their better bikes components are about the same that most big brands use.

  17. #17
    Drinking the Slick_Juice
    Reputation: nuck_chorris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    1,812
    Quote Originally Posted by Curmy
    Huh?




    Where? On their better bikes components are about the same that most big brands use.
    http://www.mtbr.com/cat/bikes/29er/m...7_1548crx.aspx

    read some of these
    "If women don't find handsome , they should at least find you handy."-Red Green

  18. #18
    Ovaries on the Outside
    Reputation: umarth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    4,361
    Quote Originally Posted by nuck_chorris
    he means that people that buy the Motobeacane buy the bike and when it arrives they review it, they dont review it after a long term test. then there reviews inspire others to buy into there poor reviews and find out the faults with it once they have already bought it
    Vendetta against motobecane?

    OP- I'll be interested to see if you manage to enjoy riding a SS around town and still be able to get it around the trails. Fairly large gap in the gear ratios. Spinning on pavement and pounding on the dirt.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •