mtbr member
    Apr 2013

Single Speed Frames

Hey,

Decided when I got a single speed I would just build it up from a frame since getting a bike repair stand for fathers day. Anyway, I was looking at on-ones selection in frames and the pricing and options seemed solid, just the shipping cost seemed a little steep since I'm in Texas. Is there anything comparable to these frames? What's a good frame to start with in your guys opinion? PS I checked ebay and there were no frames in my size. I'm looking for some 20" and up. 29er wheels preferably.

mtbr member
    Do a search for threads about the Inbred. People seem to love it and it's cheap. The Surly Karate Monkey is also a surefire winner.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    If you do the On-One frame get it from the UK. No shipping cost or tax. I love my Inbred 29 SS. For under $200 right now how could you go wrong.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Thanks for the advice. I actually found the On One American store (Planet X?) and the frames were around $230. How did you figure no shipping though from the British site? I looked at their shipping sheet and it said for frames to the US it costs $30?

Shipping Prices | Delivery Information | Help - As Seen On TV

Gimme free stuff
    isn't $250 including shipping for a brand new frame to your door still wicked cheap?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparticus
    P.S. The true SSer's motto: "Do it anyway."
    Misfit DiSSent 29er
    Dawes Deadeye [FOR SALE]

mtbr member
    it is super wicked cheap. the only reason i would pay extra for a Karate Monkey is that the KM has super-short chainstays. they are shorter than the Inbred by enough margin that it handles differently.

Hardcore Bike-Path Rider
    I have a KM, and had the opportunity to ride an Inbred the other day. I felt like I sat "inside" my KM more, if that makes sense. I had the distinct feeling of being on top of the Inbred, and not as connected with the bike. Just my two-cents, if it's worth anything. Great idea to try to hook up with someone that has one, so you can see what you like. But it's also pretty hard to go wrong with such an inexpensive frame. My friend is completely in love with his Inbred.
    Bring it.

mtbr member
    what size Inbred were you riding, and what size is your KM? I started a long, ridiculously nerdy thread a while ago comparing the KM, the Inbred, and the Jabberwocky. might be worth a read.

Hardcore Bike-Path Rider
    ^ was that directed at me?

My KM is a small (16"); I was told the Inbred was also a 16". Would be interesting to read that thread if I can find it.
    Bring it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Yeah more than likely inbred it is. I'm excited.

mtbr member
    Been very happy with my Highball Alum.

SPP
    Rigid.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    The KM can handle wider tires than the others, right?

mtbr member

Inbred

Two friends are running RR 2.35 in their Inbred SS only frames and they seem to fit fine. I love my Inbred but I got the "swap out" version.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Single Speed Frames-0828121853.jpg  

Single Speed Frames-0826121359.jpg  

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Awshucks View Post
    Thanks for the advice. I actually found the On One American store (Planet X?) and the frames were around $230. How did you figure no shipping though from the British site? I looked at their shipping sheet and it said for frames to the US it costs $30?

Shipping Prices | Delivery Information | Help - As Seen On TV
    When I bought mine from the UK dealer earlier this year it was actual price, no shipping no tax. Just speaking from first hand knowledge. Maybe just being from California I get that deal. Frame is awesome, does everything well and was cheap just a bit heavy.

Winning
    Jul 2013
    Single Speed Frames-image.jpgI ride an On-One SS Lurcher 29er. It's set up fully rigid with the On-One Carbon Monocoque fork. Weighs about 18 pounds with a stock On-One Trail 29er wheelset and WTB Vulpine tires with tubes.
    It handles well, descends very predictably, climbs phenomenally, and loves speed.
    I built an Inbred not long ago, it was really nice. The rear brake was tricky to set up, but once finished it was sweet. Installed an MRP BB mounted chain guide, which worked really well.
    The Lurcher has no chain guide, just horizontal swap outs and a bolt-on axle.
    Here's a photo from the top of Lawler during MBO, before the bolt-on axle was added.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I only live down the road from On-one and have owned a fair few of their frames over teh years, They are a really good ride and it compares with frames twice the price.

The only downside i'd say is the paint, its a bit thin and chips easy. I usually got mine powder coated after a years use.

The Inbred is a smoother ride than the scandal but the scandal is seriously light and worth a look if you want a light build.

I rode the 21" and i'm 6'2" with a 33" inside leg. plenty of seatpost out and a 110mm stem (I prefere a long stem)

The biggest tyres I got in an Inbred was a 2.35 Panaracer Rampage.

I now ride a 21" salsa el mar.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Thanks for all the info guys. What are the benefits to a chain guide?

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    The swapout frame can go either way, Vertical (chain tensioner/guide/device for SS) or horizontal.

Its lighter and simpler without a chainguide/device, Also you loose power when the chain is not direct from c-ring to cog, (Very Little)

If you go for with horizontal dropouts make sure you get a chaintug it stops the wheel sliding about. It also helps if you have a bolt-on hub rather than quick release but they aren't necessary.

But if your removing wheels etc often, then a chain device on vertical dropouts can make life easier. Just drop the wheels out and stick it in the back of your car.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by isis07734 View Post
    The KM can handle wider tires than the others, right?
    The KM should be able to fit bigger tires and has a slighter shorter back end. I like this, which is why I bought one. I don't plan to run monster truck tires in it, but some pretty fat 2.2's with the tire slammed at 17" would be nice.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Soul Cycles..chem em out.
    "If 650b is the future and 26"ers are the past then sitting on my B6'er I am in the middle of the here and now"

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I have an On One Lurcher built up single speed with a fox fork at 100mm only 20.5 lbs. I also recently built up a Scandal set up 2x10 and both are great riding bikes. Hard to beat the price for what you get.