mtbr member
    Dec 2008

Single speed convert...

Winter is coming and I wanted to build a bike for the snow. I needed something that can fit fat tires in the rear so I scored a Surly 1x1 frame off of craigslist!

Build as follows:

-18" punkin orange 1x1 frame
    -gold king headset
    -tora 302 solo air fork at 85mm
    -raceface evolved DH 175mm cranks, 36t FSA steel chainring w/ FSA bash
    -gusset single speed conversion kit, 18T rear
    -xt 6 bolt hubs w/ mavic 719 disc rims
    -160mm juicy 3's front and rear
    -60mm raceface stem w/ EA30 handlebars and Funn clamp on grips
    -wtb pure V saddle w/ no name seatpost
    -Fire FR 2.4 tires front/rear

I did my first ride today on some local single track. I am coming off of an Iron Horse 7 point 7 that I built up, so this is a HUGE change for me. The SS is interesting, took a lap to get comfortable with how the rear end bounces off of things. It stayed planted better than I thought it would, I guess these massive tires at 25 psi R and 20 psi F really helps absorb the impact. It seems resonable for climbing, but found myself out of saddle standing on the pedals more so than a geared bike. Decending was fun w/ the low BB and rear end. Cornering was fast and solid, probably due to the massive tires at low pressure. I only had the front wash on one off camber corner due to leaves falling onto the trail, at least I didn't loose it like someone else did!

Gearing needs to be thought out for the snow, I am thinking what I have now will be too tall for being under constant resistance w/ snow. I was thinking 36/20 would be a decent combo. If not I might have to go to a 32/18 or 32/20 for the snow. What is everyones experiance with this? The trail is fairly flat and extremly twisty through the woods of Minneapolis.

On a side note, lap two I went ahead and started to push the bike. Wow you can get moving on these things! I found it harder to maintain momentum over the rougher stuff and had to pedal in places my FS bike would just coast right through. I really like the smoothness of the drivetrain. That chain runs really smooth with larger sprockets and less bending of the links.

Ovaries on the Outside
    I hope you continue to enjoy that bike. Rigid SS is like finding 20 year old Shannon Tweed fluffing your pillows in a wonderbra.

Mtbr Forum Sponsor - Homebrewed Components
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by umarth
    I hope you continue to enjoy that bike. Rigid SS is like finding 20 year old Shannon Tweed fluffing your pillows in a wonderbra.
    the fact that Shannon Tweed is older than my mom makes me slightly disturbed that she is the first woman to come to your mind when fluffing is involved.