mtbr member

Single Speed Conversion - Freehub binding, need advice

I have a set of wheels I am converting to SS. The rear wheel has a Shimano-type freehub that I am using a single BMX-type cog with a spacer kit.

The problem is this: when I tighten down the cassette lockring, the freehub no longer turns freely. If you spin the wheel it only turns maybe 3/4 of a turn before stopping. This does not occur without the lockring installed.

I also removed the spacer & cog stack, and installed the lockring on the freehub by itself. Same effect. It seems like the threaded portion of the lockring is bottoming out on the dust cover inside the freehub, binding it up.

Any ideas on the best way to fix? I am thinking a 1-2MM spacer to make the lockring engage the spacer stack before it hits the internals of the freehub. Is this a valid approach?

mtbr member
    How clean is it inside? When I converted my freehub there was so much crap in there that it looked like it was a grummy spacer, but in reality there was about 5mm of crap just built up in there.

I would argue your spacer theory is a sound one too.

bryan d
    Just keep pedaling, don't stop pedaling.

mtbr member
    Found a quick cheap fix. Root cause was exactly what I described above. Added a 1mm shim, fixed.