Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    "Its All Good"

Single Speed 29 incher

Hi All

At present I have Santa Cruz VP Free & an Ellsworth ID. Am keen to have a single speed in the stable. Reading your posts it sounds a blast, along with being good training.

What would be a good SS 29inch bike to get, say 2 - 2.5K USD

Would really appreciate your input

Cheers
    F
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    the surly karate monkey

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Whafe
    Hi All

At present I have Santa Cruz VP Free & an Ellsworth ID. Am keen to have a single speed in the stable. Reading your posts it sounds a blast, along with being good training.

What would be a good SS 29inch bike to get, say 2 - 2.5K USD

Would really appreciate your input

Cheers
    F
    The Gary Fisher Rig has been really popular. For that kind of dough, you could pick one up and upgrade to a substantial degree.

"Its All Good"
    Thank you for the suggestions.

Cannot find many reviews etc on the Surly.

Read some good things on the GF Rig. It is really well priced, could upgrade it well, am not a fan of Avid Disk brakes at all, would change them over to Magura Marta SL's. I guess better cranks.............

Will look further into the Rig

Cheers
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

mtbr member
    Hold your horses until mid September where Kona will be offering a steel 29er SS with sliding rear dropouts. Steel = Dedaccai. I think this will be introduced as a frame only which will be about $450. Esitimate from my LBS to build up with good wheels, crank (e.g. King, Phil and ENO) about $1500.

"Its All Good"
    Very good point J Tallia....

Will be back in the States then anywayz.

Cheers
    Fenton

brother on a mission
    For that kind of money why not go custom? That way I can live vicariously through your My new waltworks posts, or my new curtlo post, or my new vulture, etc. etc. Check the frame builders section of the FAQ for even more options. I think I would have a good time with that budget. Of course, I am having a good time with a considerably smaller budget.

Be sure to post what you end up going with.

GF

mtbr member

Niner "One 9"

There's always the Niner "One 9".

http://www.blockergroup.com/niner/

It seems like these guys have got the right idea - not positive though having never seen one in person.

Greg

mtbr member

On-One 29er

On-One's 29er should be available soon. Should be about the same price as an Inbred. Steel with sliding dropouts, like the Kona.
    -Sean

Lowdown on the hoedown
    May 2005

Sneak peek

Unit 2-9
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Base Camp Communications
    Brand communications for the adventure sports industries
    What we do.
    How we do it.

Where's Toto?
    Here's a link to the Twentyniner.net list of 29er builders. Provides contact/website info for many. Alot of these guys offer a SS version.

http://twentyniner.net/bikes/

Airborne
    Ohio, USA
    1-888-6-LAUNCH
    www.airborne.net
    sales@airborne.net
    Airborne makes the B-29, an aerospace grade, cold-worked 3Al / 2.5V seamless titanium tubing frame.

Asylum aka Speedgoat
    Pennsylvania, USA
    (888) 545-GOAT
    www.asylumcycles.com
    info@asylumcycles.com
    A fly by night Speedgoat.com production, the Asylum OCD FS29 Frame is a Titus Racer-X Replica developed jointly by Chris and Chris of Speedgoat and Titus respectively. Lots of good specs at www.speedgoat.com.

Black Sheep Bikes
    Colorado, USA
    (970) 218-5952
    www.blacksheepbikes.com
    ryan@blacksheepbikes.com
    Black Sheep makes custom titanium 29ers with big tire clearance and at a great price.

DEAN
    Colorado, USA
    (800) 545-2535
    www.deanusa.com
    info@deanbikes.com
    DEAN hand builds the Colonel 29r using extra stout straight gauge seamless 3/2.5 aero space grade titanium.

Gary Fisher
    www.fisherbikes.com
    Gary Fisher offers around seven complete 29er bikes from mid to high price range including 5 hardtails and 2 full suspension models.

Gunnar
    Wisconsin, USA
    (262) 534.4190
    www.gunnarbikes.com
    gunnar@waterfordbikes.com
    Gunnar offers up the Ruffian singlespeed and the Rockround geared 29er frames.

Independent Fabrication
    Massachusetts
    (617) 666-3609
    www.ifbikes.com
    sales@ifbikes.com
    IF makes custom steel and titanium 29er frames. Quality handmade frames and lots of paint options are available.

IONIC Cycles
    Idaho, USA
    (800) 545-2535
    www.ionicbikes.com
    info@ionicbikes.com
    IONIC uses DEAN to make their Steelhead 29er. Its hand built with U.S. made True Temper OX Platinum Air Hardened steel tubing.

Jeff Jones
    Oregon, USA
    (541) 535-2034
    www.jonesbikes.com
    jeff@jonesbikes.com
    Jeff makes some of the nicest titanium frames around. Every bike is custom built to each riders needs. The H-Bar is another Jones creation that is popular with 29er riders.

Kelly
    California, USA
    (530) 470-8500
    www.kellybike.com
    chris@kellybike.com
    Chris over at Kelly Bikes offers up the Ro Sham Bo, made from True Temper OX Platinum steel tubing in a frame kit or complete bike.

Lenz Sport
    Colorado, USA
    (303) 857-9151
    www.lenzsport.com
    dsl@lenzsport.com
    Lenz Sport offers the 3" travel XC Leviathan 29er frame. Custom color options are available for this handmade, lightweight aluminum frame.

Moots
    Colorado, USA
    (970) 879-1676
    www.moots.com
    info@moots.com
    Moots makes the titanium Mooto-X and Mooto-X YBB 29ers in Steamboat, Colorado.

Niner Bikes
    California
    (818) 888-1507
    www.ninerbikes.com
    info@ninerbikes.com
    Niner's first bike is the One 9, a 3.3 lb. (medium frame with EBB) singlespeed specific, disc only frame with custom drawn and butted Easton Scandium GX2 tubing.

Salsa Cycles
    Minnesota, USA
    877-MOTO-ACE
    www.salsacycles.com
    pman@salsacycles.com
    Salsa makes the DOS Niner, a scandium, custom-drawn tubeset with a Salsa Relish Air rear shock.

Slingshot
    Michigan, USA
    (888) 530-5556
    www.slingshotbikes.com
    info@slingshotbikes.com
    Slingshot offers up the BigShot 29", a bike made from steel custom tubing. Also comes in a folding version.

Solitude Cycles
    07766 173189
    www.solitudecycles.com
    alex@solitudecycles.com
    Solitude Cycles makes custom steel 29er frames.

Soma
    California, USA
    www.somafab.com
    somafab@aol.com
    Soma has a new 29er coming out later this year called the Juice. Its a Reynolds 631 air-hardened steel frame at a great price.

Soulcraft
    California, USA
    (707) 775-2453
    www.soulcraftbikes.com
    info@soulcraftbikes.com
    Behold the Holy Roller, Soulcrafts 29 inches of custom steel goodness. Geared or Singlespeed available.

Surly
    Minnesota, USA
    (877) 743-3191
    www.surlybikes.com
    derby@surlybikes.com
    Surly makes the reliable Karate Monkey. A 4130 cro-moly steel frame. Main triangle is double-butted. Frame is TIG welded.

Titus
    Arizona, USA
    1-800-85-TITUS
    www.titusti.com
    tituscycles@titusti.com
    Titus offers the Racer-X full suspension frame in a 29er version as well as their standard hardtail frame.

Van Dessel
    New Jersey, USA
    (866) 835-5454
    www.vandesselsports.com
    info@vandesselsports.com
    Van Dessel offers the Buzz Bomb HT and Buzz Bomb FS. Both are reinforced Competition 7005 triple butted aluminum. The hardtail has and eccentric BB and they are available as complete bikes or frame kits.

Ventana
    California, USA
    (916) 631-0544
    www.ventanausa.com
    info@ventanausa.com
    Ventana makes the El Capitᮬ a 4" travel 29er frame in a selection of colors.

Vicious Cycles
    New York, USA
    (845) 883-4303
    www.viciouscycles.com
    info@viciouscycles.com
    Vicious offers up the Motivator, a hand-selected premium steel tube set 29er frame.

Voodoo Cycles
    www.voodoocycles.net
    info@voodoocycles.net
    Voodoo makes the Dambala, a Reynolds 631 steel frame with adjustable dropouts for singlespeed or gears with disc tabs. Brake posts are completely removable. Also from Voodoo is the Aizan, a race ready, lightweight hardtail.

Walt Works
    Colorado, USA
    (303) 359-9392
    www.waltworks.com
    walt@waltworks.com
    Walt makes custom steel 29er's and has a nice website with plenty of photos etc.

Wily Cycles
    Colorado, USA
    (303) 550-1306
    www.wilycycles.com
    brad@wilycycles.com
    Wily Cycles builds custom frames from True Temper's OX Platinum steel tubing.

Also...

Kona, Sycip, and Matt Chester

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    that kona looks sick

mtbr member
    The rig is the easy choice. Sweet frame, good enough parts, great price. Buy one for $1k, sell all the parts you don't like off of it, and upgrade bars,post,brakes for $500-$600. The cranks are pretty decent compared to what is out there.

mtbr member

Rig

Quote Originally Posted by bigdrunk
    The rig is the easy choice. Sweet frame, good enough parts, great price. Buy one for $1k, sell all the parts you don't like off of it, and upgrade bars,post,brakes for $500-$600. The cranks are pretty decent compared to what is out there.
    Hard to beat. Reba fork ect for $1K

However the feel of steel is real and the new Kona 29'er will be flying off the shelves

Steamroller

Lots of good options here.....

......but, if you have that kind of budget why not get something real nice. Based on your other bikes, you like nice bikes. The Karate Monkey and Rig and many of the others here are nice enough if your budget is $1000-1500 but if you have more to play with and want something real nice why not go full custom. Or at least buy a high quality production frame and spec out every part just the way you like. With a production bike you can get a great deal but, you get a bike somebody else designed to fit a lot of people and a lot of people will have a bike just like yours.

If you have not ridden enough SS to know you like it, than you may want to consider an entry level SS or an SS conversion to get your feet wet and see what you may want in the big $$ bike that would come later. If you just enjoy spending big $$ on bikes and don't care if in a few months the bike is just a real cool garage decoration, that's cool too Not everyone who trys SS sticks with it.
    Last edited by Mattman; 07-19-2005 at 10:55 PM.
    [SIZE=2]Two Wheeled and Too Big[/SIZE]

I like endos

get the Kona

Reasons:
    1. I'm getting one, so obviously I like it.
    2. If you've never SS'd its sweet because the dropouts are replaceable with a der. hanger dropout, so if you don't SS you've got a cool geared hardtail instead.
    3. It's a 29er. Had my first ride on my mechanic's custom kelly 29er yesterday. Holy crap. That's all there is to say. Holy Crap. They are badass.
    4. It's steel. No comparing the ride quality of steel vs. aluminum. It's better, trust me. Not to mention the longevity.
    5. It looks way cooler than a KM. Sorry Surly owners, but I think they're ugly.
    6. It's cheap. I just put one on unofficial preorder. $420 for the frame makes it a killer deal. Plus as of early next year the Project 2 29er fork will be available with it at a $50 upcharge! $470 frame/fork steel 29er!
    7. It's lighter than the KM. A lot. Talked with the local Kona rep. TRIPLE BUTTED chromoly. It's gonna be really light.
    8. Did I mention 29er rules?

Only bad news is my dealer said he just talked with Kona and it will not actually hit most shops until mid-Oct. not mid-Sept., so you'll have to wait a bit. For me, it's worth it, I just spec'd mine out and it's gonna cost about $1200. That's an amazing deal considering the parts I'm planning on. Way better deal than the GF, especially if you're going to go rigid anyway. Or you could wait for the '06 rig, which I have been told on good authority will be black and rigid. Have fun, I've been working through this decision for several months, but the Kona made the decision easy for me.
    As for the Pyramids, there is nothing to wonder at in them so much as the fact that so many men could be found degraded enough to spend their lives constructing a tomb for some ambitious booby, whom it would have been wiser and manlier to have drowned in the Nile, and then given his body to the dogs. - Henry David Thoreau

College
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ParkerFly
    Reasons:
    2. If you've never SS'd its sweet because the dropouts are replaceable with a der. hanger dropout, so if you don't SS you've got a cool geared hardtail instead.
    I agree with clox [edit CLoxxki : you mean ParkerFly, right?] that he should go for something nicer because his budget is pretty high, but those sliding drops are really attractive too........so why not get both: custom geo, and those cool drops.

I emailed mark at paragon machine works and this is what he said.

Quote Originally Posted by mark
    This is why you should by them if you are doing a one speed with a disc
    brake:
    17-4 SS or 6/4 Ti.
    You NEVER have to adjust the caliper in relation to the rotor.
    Lighter than an Eccentric BB.
    Cheaper than an Eccentric BB.
    No change in BB height when you adjust chain tension.
    5 mm adjusting screws are less likely to bend than 3 or 4 mm.
    8 mm clamp screws pinch way tighter than 6mm.
    Since the stainless ones don't need paint, they'll always look good.
    No paint to gunk up the adjusting slot or screw hole.
    They look cool.

$85.00/pair. Titanium bolts $20.00 extra.

Now available for Rohloff hubs.

Thanks,
    Mark.
    he also added that you can get the other plate with the hanger for another 10$ so you can run it with a clean looking ss specific drop or the one with a hanger. Just thought i'd shair so you can flex your options i guess.

"Its All Good"
    Thank you all for the information. Was in the States yesterday, looked at a nice Bianchi PUSS pink 26 inch SS, was very cool, sligjtly too small for me. Will keep doing the research, I know now I want a steel frame, then spec one out with happies and bits & pieces that I want.

Thanks again

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Hey ParkerFly

Will there be a geared version available, too? Like the Unit/Explosif relationship? I already have a custom Wily 29er SS and I love it. I think my 94 Kona Hot gearie would not mind being retired if it was with another Kona geared bike.

I like endos

from what I understand

the dropout is interchangable with a geared dropout and the bike WILL ship with full cable stops. So it is like the Dambala in that it is a gear ready singlespeed frame. It will be disc only though.
    As for the Pyramids, there is nothing to wonder at in them so much as the fact that so many men could be found degraded enough to spend their lives constructing a tomb for some ambitious booby, whom it would have been wiser and manlier to have drowned in the Nile, and then given his body to the dogs. - Henry David Thoreau

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Hey ParkerFly,

Any info on sizing?

Neg reppers r my biatches
    Quote Originally Posted by Whafe
    Thank you all for the information. Was in the States yesterday, looked at a nice Bianchi PUSS pink 26 inch SS, was very cool, sligjtly too small for me. Will keep doing the research, I know now I want a steel frame, then spec one out with happies and bits & pieces that I want.

Thanks again
    Didn't I just see that you bought an UZZI VPX?

what a joke
    Quote Originally Posted by ParkerFly

5. It looks way cooler than a KM. Sorry Surly owners, but I think they're ugly.
    I love my ugly monkey!!!! But that Kona does look cool!
    blah blah blah

mtbr member
    $2500? Don't even have to think about it, a sweet custom for sure...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Just another nighthawk at the diner

Rock -n-roll means well but it can't help tellin' young boys lies...

I like endos

we'll know sizing and geo

Quote Originally Posted by Wish I Were Riding
    Hey ParkerFly,

Any info on sizing?
    In 2-3 weeks, as far as my mechanic tells me. He did say it will have longer top tubes than the too-short dambala. This is just a guess but I'd guess large top tube length somewhere in the 24in.(give or take 1/2) range, with about a nineteen inch seat tube (that's just my guess from the pics I've seen) If you want to see pics of one built up go over and look at the Konaaaa thread on the 29er board. It's gonna be cool.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast