mtbr member

single roadie parts anyone? got a little situation here....

okay, so here it is. I picked up this old Colnago "super" model from a guy recently. obviously it is an italian threaded BB so i can't use an old ISIS i have. What I need is some longer cranks. hopefully splined. Does anyone have any 175mm cranks they want to part with? I am also open to gear ratios. good all around sort of gearing. I am in Colorado Springs so there will be some climbing involved but hey, it's on the road so no big deal right? I have an XT 44 tooth ring from my other SS cranks if somebody has some other 4arm mtb cranks. anyone got an italian ultegra octalink BB? with those cranks I think it would be a killer combo. wait, i don't think those splines are compatible. grrrr.....see what i mean? kind of a headache bike so far. help....! thanks all...I'll check back after work this evening.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Easy...

Hey Jalebert, (your reputation proceeds you) first get your hands on an 'Italian' 105 , Ultegra or D/A bottom bracket (V1), they will all work with the old grey (V1) XTR splined cranks (which come in 175 or 180 mm length, and use a 44 T big ring on the compact model), and have a nice spindle length for SS use (109.5 or 118.5 mm) . OR on the same b.b.'s you could get some 175 mm Shimano Road (also V1) (130mm BCD) cranks --Salsa makes a 45 T ring, Shimano makes both 44 and 45 T rings for DA Tri...Sugino has a 44 T raod ring and FSA has a cool black 44 T time trial ring availible. GR
    that rug really tied the room together.

all hail der Fuhrer Bush
    Mar 2004

shame on you...

...for even considering putting that f'ugly 4-arm spider Frankencrank crap on an Italian road bike. Get yourself an inexpensive 175mm road crank, an Italian threaded square taper spindle of suitable length, and run a 42/16 (71") or 42/17 (67") or 39/15 (70") or 39/16 (66").
    Actually, road singlespeeding is soooo boring and doesn't do much for your fitness. Make it a fixed gear and you will have way more fun, way more, in which case you'll want 170mm crank arms so you can wind 'em up. Somewhere in the above is the perfect fixed gear tooth count for you.

try driving your car less
    Quote Originally Posted by bulC
    ...for even considering putting that f'ugly 4-arm spider Frankencrank crap on an Italian road bike. Get yourself an inexpensive 175mm road crank, an Italian threaded square taper spindle of suitable length, and run a 42/16 (71") or 42/17 (67") or 39/15 (70") or 39/16 (66").
    Actually, road singlespeeding is soooo boring and doesn't do much for your fitness. Make it a fixed gear and you will have way more fun, way more, in which case you'll want 170mm crank arms so you can wind 'em up. Somewhere in the above is the perfect fixed gear tooth count for you.
    yes, campagnolo. and 170 mm cranks for fixed, so you dont hit the cranks on the road while leaning into turns.
    Only boring people get bored.

"Mr. Britannica"

sometimes it's better to back up

First, does shimano even make Ital threaded mtb BBs? An older road crank and BB can sometimes be cheaper than scrambling for odd parts (e.g., UN72/3 BB)... sure some purists (me included) will scoff (me not), but Mapei et al. won numerous races on Colnagos w/shimano bits. If you want to work on your spin, go a bit shorter... 175 is really long for road. The typical FG gearings have already been mentioned.

mtbr member

Italian BB

I've got an Italian threaded Ultegra BB. It's brand new (still has blue locktighte-like stuff on the threads from the factory). At least I think it's Italian. It's bigger than a normal BB and I don't know what else it would be. Let me know if you want it.

mtbr member

....but not fixey.

my plan was to do the Triple Bypass here in CO on a single. 120mi on a fixey coming DOWN those hills didn't really tickle me the right way ya dig? There is also another 100miler that some crew was going to do that sounds fun to. I wanted to do 175mm arms just to keep a similar feel from my mtb SS and such. i think i will hold off on the splines for now and do that down the road. i have some mustache bars and will just stick some square tapers on for now. But hey, what's your price for that ultegra italian? and how wide of bars do you use on the road SS?

and i can dig the decreased fun of SS'ing on the road but i was just looking for something to spice it up you know? plus, i figure it will be a hoot to do some crazy rides on the single. who knows! maybe we can get some press by riding the 3x bypass on single. Take notice Dirt Rag, Bicycling, Bike, etc...any wanna come out and help make a statement?!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fasterwheels
    But hey, what's your price for that ultegra italian?
    Say $20 shipped? That's ~ 1/2 price of Colorado Cyclist which consistently has the lowest Shimano prices (not always, but across the board), so I guess that's about fair.

As for bar width, I've got 42's on my geared bike and on my fixie (which has a freewheel on the flipped (or is it flopped?) side.

I've read of some people doing RAGBRAI on fixies, 'cause it's not so challenging a ride. Making the Triple harder seems a little silly , but I guess that's what makes the idea cool, too.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Fixie Fear

Get a flip flop and keep your options open:
    http://www.sheldonbrown.com/harris/fixed-hubs.html

I am telling you Fixed is the way to go especially because you are planning on using the bike mainly for commuting. If you go fixed you won't have to worry about the funky break pads anymore either. I don't think the 3x-pass would be so bad fixed. When the knees get tired on the downhills, just unclip and truct the bike. She'll always come through for you. The Bob jackson always came through for me, untill the curb hopping insident. Bob didn't like jumping curbs in the rain.... Ask Brain H. too I am sure his Cinelli probably has similar parts, doubt he would part with any, maybe you could trade.

~n

mtbr member

Good job! ok...ok...ok....

ok...i'll do a flip flop but only because around town will be cooler on a different ratio and fixed. besides, what i've been hearing is that the track hubs with no dish and giant sized flanges will build the best wheel anyway. Brian G. at Brian's Bicycle Repair (in CO Springs) has a set of older Nissen (?) track hubs with cartridge bearings that would be super sweet. As far as I can tell Brian knows everything about everything to. Definitely a shop worth visiting if you need anything worked on. ANYTHING! Also, if any of you are ever in Boulder CO check out a shop called Vecchios. The guy there is all about the single and fixey stuff and REALLY knows his stuff well. He suggested another flip flopper which the name eludes me right now but all i know is that it had flashy little multicolor flakes on the flange. very bling bling cool factor!

she isn't in a single config' yet because i don't have the wheel thing figured out but i'll post some pic's as soon as she is presentable. right now i still have the 1x6 going on with a campy friction shift on the down tube. anybody need any old campy shifters? old shimano 600 r. der.?

hmmm.....is it just me or is this nipp character a little closed minded about the the whole fixey thing? come out and ride the elephant rock or 3x with us single then eh? we'll see you there!.......

out.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    If you go fixed you can enjoy fun on the track too...

"Mr. Britannica"

Suzue Pro Max

or the new cat's ass CF model