mtbr member
    May 2008

Silicone Vs. Ergon

Pimpin' my SS up with a Carbon Niner Fork and Carbon Niner Bar, but haven't installed them yet. Curious to know what the consensus is on the silicone grips. I have been running the Ergons without the barends, and I like how they spread out the impact across the heel of the hand while taking rough and rocky descents. Don't like the ergons on the fast flats and climbing though. Anyone tried both and have a comparison?

mtbr member
    I tried the biocork Ergons and liked them, but only in one position. When I ride SS, I'm constantly changing hand positions (might be a bad thing but its what I do), so the ergons weren't ideal. Been on ESI Chunkies and Super Chunkies ever since, and love them

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I think the SS rigid demands more hand positions, as you are much more dynamic to deal with trail obstacles--part of the fun and fitness! That's exactly what I think of my ergons. I like them on the rough descents, but that is about it. I haven't read where they might cause a reaction with the carbon since you apply them with some ammonia product?

mtbr member
    For the chunkies, I never had an issue with windex, but now I use a compressor and air nozzle to put the grips on dry, works like a charm, and no wait for whatever to dry, no rotating. Just have to make sure the nozzle doesn't scratch the carbon. Works equally well for removal.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    That's pretty slick! Can't imagine them adhering without any adhesive, but that's what everyone says. Then again, silicone is weird that way.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I went from Ergon GX1's to ESI chunky and have been happy with the change. Price is right, they remain grippy in wet conditions and the weight savings is pretty good.

My technique for install is a spritz of hairspray in the grip..Slide it on and in a few minutes it's not going anywhere. When it's time to swap in a new pair, I use a plastic trim tool to lift the end and spray a little bit of water..work the trim tool around and it'll slide ride off, no damage to my carbon bars.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Everytime i crashed or hit something the esi grips got torn up and were ruined. I did like them but they got way to expensive after replacing them a few times a year. I am all about oury grips now

mtbr member
    I have also used GX1's and ESI grips. The GX1's were more comfortable on low sweep bars (9-12 degree) than the ESI grips. But once I went to Alt Bars (25-45 degree sweep) the GX1's were no longer needed and I prefer the feel, light weight, and colors of the ESI grips.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by rob1035 View Post
    I tried the biocork Ergons and liked them, but only in one position. When I ride SS, I'm constantly changing hand positions (might be a bad thing but its what I do), so the ergons weren't ideal. Been on ESI Chunkies and Super Chunkies ever since, and love them
    I've used the Chunkies and they're great. Where do you get Super Chunkies? I didn't see them in ESIs website.

mtbr member
    They've been selling them as "custom" for a while, but they just released them officially....MTB Grips

metrotuned WoS
    I've used all the lock-on grips out there because lock-ons are the best. No hairspray or alcohol needed. Just an allen key. They might be a touch heavier than ESI silicone but saving those precious grams at the grips - is it worth it? The Oury's, probably the thickest and best looking of the bunch, wear out just like the rest, they peel, too. I liked the Rogue lock ons more than the Oury's because I felt the pattern had more grip in the wet - both are the max chunky diameter. But the rubber compound is slippery when wet!!! The lock on kit is expensive, I think $30 retail for Lock Ons. There are knock offs out there that pretty much do the same thing.

The revelation to me are the foam SRAM lock on grips. Have four sets on almost all the bikes (just waiting for the Rogues to wear out). The SRAM lock on foam grips are light, inexpensive and wear decently. They don't get slippery when wet. They have the right length (only one lock on clamp inside, so outer is soft) and density, and thickness for glove free riding too. $18 retail, boom.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by illnacord View Post
    I've used all the lock-on grips out there because lock-ons are the best. No hairspray or alcohol needed. Just an allen key. They might be a touch heavier than ESI silicone but saving those precious grams at the grips - is it worth it?
    ESI grips do not need hairspray or lock on rings...they stay put without any assistance

Trail Junkie
    I only use Ergons now. I have used ESI Chunky's/Racers for several years, but with the tight corners and wide bars..they eventually get chewed up. I also don't grip on the bar as hard with Ergons which also leads to less of a chance for fingers to fall asleep and hand/finger fatigue. Pretty important when doing 6/12/24hr races!

The Ergons have the clamp on the outside which dual purposes as a bar end/grip protector.
    The miniscule amount of extra static weight does not outweigh the benefits of the Ergon grips IMO.

I have used Crank Bros. Cobalt foam grips (similar to the SRAM ones, but they have a metal protection ring on both sides), they are ok, but they are thin and the ESI's are better comfort-wise comparatively speaking...but I would still side with Ergons.

I use GP-1S BioKork on my SS, GP-1S/GS-1S on my full suspension. The GS-1s are a little better for racing...which I haven't done on my FS in a couple years.

**Note Ergon GX-1's have been discontinued, they have been replaced with GS-1's**
    Last edited by dubdryver; 12-06-2012 at 05:14 PM.
    Santa Cruz Tallboy carbon
    Lynskey Pro29 SL SS
    Cervelo S2 Ultegra
    Salsa Selma
    Soul Cycle Dillinger Gen3

Dirty South Underdog
    I'm Ergon-only. I use the type with the carbon bar ends, which I use almost every time I stand up. I used ESI Chunky grips on & off when I was trying to go weight weenie on stuff, but they put a terrible amount of pressure on my ulnar nerve and my my hand/arm go numb. I don't have that issue at all with Ergons.
    Brickhouse Blog (most known unknown)

Just Riding Along- best internet radio show on Mountain Bike Radio