Thread: Shoulder Brace

"singlespeed outlaw"

Shoulder Brace

anybody use one?............about 15 mins. into yesterdays ride, i was feein great, beautiful day, got movin pretty good on a gradual downhill, hit a small jump and landed wrong, next thing i know im goin over the bars and landed on my shoulder, sure enough, i dislocated it, needless to say it was a a long walk back to the truck. Anyway, im thinkin of tryin of tryin a brace now since everybody says when it happens once its easy to pop it out again. Any suggestions? Thanx
    One #!$%^&* Speed !!

Apr 2007
    I don't think those braces do anything. I would just do some extra shoulder strengthening exercises to get some good support there.

Ovaries on the Outside
    Quote Originally Posted by p nut
    I don't think those braces do anything. I would just do some extra shoulder strengthening exercises to get some good support there.
    +1 Wait until you feel better and then come back into riding carefully. The brace will only make it so your supporting muscles don't have to work as hard, and they might never fully respond as long as the brace as being used.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Sorry to hear that. A dislocated shoulder is alwyas going to be a weak shoulder. Don't stay in the sling for too long. Excersize it regularly.

I dislocated my shoulder riding a few years ago. I was only supposed to wear the brace for a a few days. Started, Physical Therapy (PT) and everything felt loose and wobbly. The PT consisted of some simple excersizes using a light resistance band and this went on with an increased variety of excersizes for 6~8 weeks. The PT therapists plugged their ears when I said I was riding my "ROAD" bike. After 2 months I was granted permission to start riding again by the therapists.

"singlespeed outlaw"
    [QUOTE=captain-beer]Sorry to hear that. A dislocated shoulder is alwyas going to be a weak shoulder. Don't stay in the sling for too long. Excersize it regularly.

im not in a sling, just takin it easy on it, im hopin to ride next week but i wont be riding like i normally do.
    One #!$%^&* Speed !!