mtbr member
    Sep 2004

which should i keep?

I have two ss bikes, and have an opportunity to move one on (for the right price). One is a Jericho disc specific that also has the possibility to be converted to a belt drive (although i will probably never do that). I picked it up on craigslist, and had it powdercoated. Looks beautiful. It is a 26" wheel bike. The other is a Niner Air One 9 scandium frame. I haven't built that up yet, but would be running a Fox F29 fork and Paul Word wheels. I'm torn between the steel, handmade aspect of the Jericho and the lightweight, stiff aspect of the Niner. I would appreciate any insight. I haven't ridden a ss 29'er yet, but have enjoyed the 26" ss. Would there be a difference in climbing between the two. I run a 32/18 on the Jericho, and have been able to get up pretty much all the climbs I'd need to for my area. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Dang, this is a tough one. Jericho is a sweet frame, but 29er and SS go together like milk and cookies.

I would have to keep both if it were me.
    Thanks to www.weavercycleworks.com for my awesome bike frames!

Apr 2007
    Niner. But try to ride a 29er, if possible.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    easiest question ive seen on here, keep both.

Ovaries on the Outside
    What is the spec on both? I prefer 26" (and 650b over that), so I lean towards that wheel size.

I'd second pnut as far as giving the 29er a run. You have two great options. Try them out before deciding.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    thanks for the input. i do like the idea of at least getting both put together and trying them out. i think the niner has a slightly longer top tube length than the jericho, but other than that i think both builds will have somewhat of a similar geometry. but, the garage is super packed with bikes/bike stuff (6 bikes hanging on the wall, 3 more spread around the floor), so i'm not sure where i'd fit it in yet. i'll have to post some pictures of it on the "my garage is out of control" forum. definitely looks like a bomb went off in there. maybe i'll have to get a little organization going to make room for an extra ss. any additional input is appreciated.

i do have an additional question about crank arm length and gearing. is there a big difference between a 175mm and 180mm crank arm length? i only ask because i have a ss ring (i think it's a boone) on some xtr crank arms that would look sick on the niner, but the arm length is 175 and it is a 34t ring. i also have some 180's that i could use as well with a 32 tooth ring to get some lower gearing, but it wouldn't look quite as nice.

SyT
    mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Among others I have a One 9 and just recently sold my Jericho. If you're judging from a functional standpoint, there is no question (for me anyway), the one 9 does everything better with the possible exception of supertight switchbacks. Each was set up rigid if that means anything (I often wondered what the Jericho would be like with a sus fork). If you like the idea of riding something you're not likely to run into on the trail, well then the Leadfoot is the keeper.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    jericho.
    If steel is real then aluminium is supercallafragiliniun!