mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Short Headtube Trouble With SASS Frame

Not just a SS issue but something I didn't anticipate........I bought a used 2004 SASS in the XL size and when I installed a fork I had previously cut to fit my XL Ventana frame I found that the steerer tube was @ 2" too long for the Bianchi frame.

I need to add way too many spacers to bring the height of the handlebar up to a comfortable level until I buy a higher rise stem to help with this problem. Is there any other way to deal with this issue other than the extra spacers/riser stem "solution"?

Thanks,

Russ

Am I getting too bulky?
    You could throw a riser bar into the mix to cut down on the number of spacers needed.
    I gotta roll, can't stand still, got a flame in my heart, can't get my fill.

Recovering Weight Weenie
    Quote Originally Posted by onepivot
    Not just a SS issue but something I didn't anticipate........I bought a used 2004 SASS in the XL size and when I installed a fork I had previously cut to fit my XL Ventana frame I found that the steerer tube was @ 2" too long for the Bianchi frame.

I need to add way too many spacers to bring the height of the handlebar up to a comfortable level until I buy a higher rise stem to help with this problem. Is there any other way to deal with this issue other than the extra spacers/riser stem "solution"?

Thanks,

Russ
    Why are too many spacers a problem for you? Purely asthetics? There is no safety issue.
    The Bianchi XL frames are laughingly small.
    My suggestion is to sell it and buy a 1x1, or better yet, a Karate Monkey.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Gotta Come Clean....

......it is purely an asthetics issue with me, the extra spacers just look funny. I did add a 2" riser bar to help out.

As for the frame size, the bike feels great to me now that I've added a set-back Thomson post and a 140mm stem to lenghten the cockpit a little and it handles the twisty single track quite nicely.

I may look into another frame a bit later but right now I am enjoying my first SS love

Russ

Am I getting too bulky?

Cool-blue Rhythm

...and a 140mm stem to lenghten the cockpit a little and it handles the twisty single track quite nicely.
    Yeah, like the Queen Mary 2!!! That's close to six inches of stem! That's like a friggin' rudder!!!

Do you think I used enough exclamation points? orry, but after the newness wears off ...
    I gotta roll, can't stand still, got a flame in my heart, can't get my fill.

Derailleurs owned: 0
    I think Serotta makes a headtube extender... not sure if it's available for 1-1/8"

Profile Design makes a 60mm (2.36") riser (Ultra FR).

Thomson SM-E110 stem is 140mm/15degree...

Thanks,

Russ

Recovering Weight Weenie
    ......it is purely an asthetics issue with me, the extra spacers just look funny. I did add a 2" riser bar to help out.

As for the frame size, the bike feels great to me now that I've added a set-back Thomson post and a 140mm stem to lenghten the cockpit a little and it handles the twisty single track quite nicely.

I may look into another frame a bit later but right now I am enjoying my first SS love

Russ
    Cool Cool.
    But if you need 6" of stem AND a layback post....your frame is the wrong size...at least not the right one for you.
    My SiSS was my first SS love too...for 3 weeks until she broke...up with me...

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Yeah, I'm a tough fit.....

Quote Originally Posted by Padre
    Cool Cool.
    But if you need 6" of stem AND a layback post....your frame is the wrong size...at least not the right one for you.

when it comes to frames. Although I am 6'3" my legs are a bit short and as my wife says, I have "acres of back" so I need a long top tube and I tend to need a 130mm or 140mm stem depending on the bike.

My Pantera's TT is 24.7" and I run a 130 on it and the SASS needs more. So I am a prime candidate for a custom made frame, eh?

Russ

I'm sticky
    Aug 2004
    24.7" TT and a 130mm stem. Wow. I'm 6'6" and I wouldn't run my bike that long.

To each their own, but there is something to be said about a slightly more upright, centered riding position. (And I mean slightly - I'm not talking about a frickin' hybrid position).

I definitely agree with raising the front end with a riser bar and stem.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

True

Quote Originally Posted by pcrap
    24.7" TT and a 130mm stem. Wow. I'm 6'6" and I wouldn't run my bike that long.

To each their own, but there is something to be said about a slightly more upright, centered riding position. (And I mean slightly - I'm not talking about a frickin' hybrid position).

I definitely agree with raising the front end with a riser bar and stem.
    I guess I tend to gravitate towards a cross country type riding position and prefer to be more laid out, I really don't think that my bikes are all that long in the cockpit but maybe I'm wrong. I don't feel in danger of an endo on the steep decents so I guess I'm OK.

Back to the original question, the riding position on the SASS was WAY too low at the bar, hence the need to raise the stem & bar and now you guys got me thinking I'm some kind of freak who needs a good LBS to fit me

Thanks for the input,

Russ

beer *****es n' bikes
    Quote Originally Posted by Padre
    Cool Cool.
    Something to consider is that a Thompson layback post has the same offset as a Kalin, Pyramid, Ritchey, etc post with an offset clamp (as most stock posts have)... remember its a layback, buts also zero offset.
    bike dude, velocity employee (this is my personal account)