Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jun 2011

Shoes for riding platforms

I run my SS with Lo Pro Mags and like them a lot. May try some of the other great looking platforms out there, but do plan on staying with flats.

Been searching for some new shoes to get the riding season started. Am interested in the 5-10 Freeriders, but would like to hear from some users on this forum. Reviews are kinda mixed, almost like they are talking about different shoes sometimes.

Any other alternatives or styles that get the most from pinned pedals? I'd love to hear it.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009

mtbr member
    Teva makes a bicycle-specific sneaker you might be into. look that up.

mtbr member
    i use the freeriders and love them. they are a little heavy and not very breathable but its worth it. i have not used any other 5.10 shoe.

i found there is a big difference between the 5.10s and the skate shoes i have ridden with (Etnies,Emerica).

mtbr member
    I use the Impact Low 5.10 on my SS or any other flats, awesome shoe lots of support, stiff sole, lots of protection but they are not super breathable which I think is a common complaint. Too many positives about the shoe to knock it for that though IMO.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I have 3 pair of 5.10. The Freeride is my go to shoe although they are a little tight and 13 is the largest they have. I bought the Cyclone for the option to clip in. I use these when it is cold because they are very thick, warm, high tops with Velcro along the top of the ankle. I also bought some Dirtbags on Amazon because they are only 45 bucks. I use these mostly for casual but like the fact that they are mid tops and thinner so they breathe a little better. All of these work great on a variety of pedals. I am currently using Crampon Ultimates and the traction is terrific. I would say the Freeriders are my favorite all around. The Cyclones are very stiff and the Dirtbags good in warm weather.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I ride with Speedplay Drilliums and 5.10 Freerides on my 26er FSR and really like this combination. Great grip. I highly recommend this set up. My riding buddy has Kona Wah Wahs and Freerides and this combination also works well for him.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Thanks for the replys. I wear a 13 tennis shoe and have also heard the Freeriders run a little tight, will the 13's be OK?

Going to check a few of these suggestions out before I act. Much obliged.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    You should be OK with the 13's. I have some 13 and 14 tennis shoes and the length on the Freeriders is good.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Went and looked at the Teva Pinners in Tarmac color (subtle green) good looking shoe. They say in the reviews that they run small, but have a 14 I could get.

Not much difference in the price of the Freeriders, but which is the better shoe? Dang costs are keeping me to one pair, just wanna choose well.

mtbr member
    I don't have either shoe so maybe I should just shut the fork up but if I was buying right now I'd go for the Tevas.

The five tens don't look bad but they seem unnecessarily bulky to me. I looked at their specs and they are pretty chunky @ about 550 g, for comparison both of my trail running shoes weigh less than 1 five ten Freerider.

I didn't see a weight listed on the Tevas but they looked well made and more svelte than the five tens. I'm really not a ww but for some reason I can't stand extra weight on my feet, especially unnecessary weight.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Well I found a promo coupon for twenty bucks on the Teva Pinners and got me a pair on the way. We'll see how it goes and I'll post my opinion after putting some miles on them.

I know they're going to grip better than my NB tennys and hopefully do away with some small toe pinch on one foot that sucks on my 20 milers.

Got the tarmac color to match more of the shorts I wear.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    After years of clipless pedals and shoes, I rode the other day with some new platforms and my adidas Sambas. The sole is probably a bit flexy but has minimal tread so gripped well I think. One thing that I liked was the feedback from the pedals, meaning I could feel my foot compress into the pedals on efforts...much different than hard clipless shoes. I like the tread of 5.10s and the Pinner, but the seem bulky.

human dehumidifier
    Quote Originally Posted by ride_bikes View Post
    After years of clipless pedals and shoes, I rode the other day with some new platforms and my adidas Sambas.
    I've spent the past year on flats and sneakers. The 5-10s would surely perform better but man those are some ugly bulky looking shoes. If they'd keep the sole and rework the uppers I'd be in like Flynn but man I can just imagine how those are going to smell after a hot summer in them. Are they less clunky in real life?
    But if you close your eyes it becomes so easy to see

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by wv_bob View Post
    I've spent the past year on flats and sneakers. The 5-10s would surely perform better but man those are some ugly bulky looking shoes. If they'd keep the sole and rework the uppers I'd be in like Flynn but man I can just imagine how those are going to smell after a hot summer in them. Are they less clunky in real life?
    Are you referring to Sambas or 5.10s??? Sambas are indoor soccer shoes, low profile but a bit wider than a vans or converse. Surely you mean 5.10s??, in which case I agree with everything you said. I've had a pair of 5.10s and they were every bit of bulky. I can't image how much they must weigh when wet!

human dehumidifier
    Yeah, sorry, the 5.10s

I wear New Balance tennis shoes. They've got no tread to speak of, are sticky enough, and have a stiff bottom because of the beating your feet take on the court.

I had them here as spare yard shoes that my wife brought home from a yard sale. My Airwalks weren't working out, so I tried the NBs and they worked better than the Airwalks so I stuck with them.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Barefoot ya bunch of weenies!

Viva la Vida!

5.10 I have three pairs Karvers for downhill, freerider for most everything else and dirtbags just to hangout
    It's all I ever used since I started using flats and I really like the way they grip.
    I demoed some Tevas and they seem to be OK but they are fugly.
    We do not stop playing because we grow old;
    We grow old because we stop playing

Tulsa
    i'm a big fan of the 5 tens, they do have some bulk, but it's really rocky here so i like the buffer between foot and stone.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    wherever you go, there you are

mtbr member
    Nov 2012

Re: Shoes for riding platforms

Are there any platform shoes out there that don't look like skater shoes?

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    heard five ten karvers are good. have a friend that owns a pair. they look good and he says they are great. I want to buy a pair but Im looking for the red and black ones and cant find them. I herd they were an older model. any one know where I can find them?

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

Quote Originally Posted by trevor_b View Post
    Are there any platform shoes out there that don't look like skater shoes?
    Check out some of Five Tens other models, their bike shoes are pretty ugly and don't look very breathable. I have great luck with lots of approach type shoes with sticky flat rubber. http://fiveten.com/products/footwear...-tennie-canvas

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Never cycled with bicycle specific shoes but I ride wearing some trail running shoes (Brooks Cascadias) and I have never run into any problems with em. Comfy, grip my pedals really well and when I have to hike a bike I'm prepared.

Gotta pay to play
    5.10's always put my feet to sleep. I ride with an black/orange pair of Fox Ando's. The sole is a tiny bit softer than 5.10's but seems to grab my pedals just as well.

I got mine off of chainlove for $30 but they are still relatively inexpensive on Fox's website:

Fox Ando Shoe - Fox Racing

human dehumidifier

Not meaning to insult your shoes or anything, but the colors on those remind me of bowling shoes for some reason.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast