mtbr member

Shipping my chain

No matter how I adjust my chain tension, within a couple of hours riding the chain is loose enough to bounce off. This is a pain! It has never been a problem on any of my other singlespeeds.

The bike is based on a 2011 Trek Marlin singlespeed 29er.
    Surly Stainless 32 chain ring
    White Industries 20t freewheel
    Sram PC1 Nickle chain.

If anyone is familiar with the Trek slide dropout system, I'm pretty sure I'm adjusting and setting it up correctly, so I'm reasonablly confident the wheel is not moving. (any tips or advice would be welcome though)

Chain line is spot on - (3 other singlespeeders have checked!)

Is it possible the chain can keep stretching? (chain is now about 2 months old)

Matthew
    Any help or advice appreciated!
    Gary Fisher Superfly
    Gary Fisher (sorry - Trek) Marlin SS
    Lemond Fillmore
    Klein Q Carbon Team Chorus/Record

mtbr member
    Those PC1 chains are very notorious for stretching very quickly, and they generally just suck at being a chain. If you want a good balance of price vs quality try an SRAM or Shimano 8spd chain

mtbr member
    I've run scores of PC-1s on both fixed and SS bikes, road and mountain, and never found that they "stretched" any more than any other chain.

If you're starting a ride with everything tight and it's loose two hours later, that isn't chain stretch. Either the hub is creeping forward, or you have a "loose spot" in the chain that you're only noticing after you ride.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    ^^I agree. Your wheel is moving forward and you just don't realize it. Chains do stretch over time but they aren't going to stretch enough to fall off during a single ride.

mtbr member
    I don't believe it's the chain. I'm just not sure how the wheel can move. The sliding dropouts are fixed by 3 "adjusters"...... Unless I am missing something obvious!

Anyone else use the same system?
    Gary Fisher Superfly
    Gary Fisher (sorry - Trek) Marlin SS
    Lemond Fillmore
    Klein Q Carbon Team Chorus/Record

mtbr member
    I'm guessing the sliders are slipping a little. Pull the wheel back until it's as tight as you like it and cinch it down. Take a silver sharpie and put a dot of ink on the frame on the forward side of each slider bolt. Go for a ride and see if the slider bolts have crept forward, obscuring the dots. This won't fix anything, but you'll know what the culprit is.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    'Had a 2009 Rockhopper SS and could not keep the "sliders from sliding". One memorable ride had 14 chain drops in just under an hour. Several visits to different LBS's and could not get it resolved so ended up paying for the upgrade to a 2011 Stumpjumper SS which uses an EBB and now no more chain tension issues.
    Specialized rep said my weight (225 lbs) was part of the problem on the RH, lol.
    If your tensioning bolts are aluminum, you may want to try steel....good luck

Retro Grouch
    Quote Originally Posted by Nac Mac Feagle
    I don't believe it's the chain. I'm just not sure how the wheel can move. The sliding dropouts are fixed by 3 "adjusters"...... Unless I am missing something obvious!

Anyone else use the same system?
    I believe your sliders look something like this; it's a Rig but I am told they use the same system. There appears to be a dropout adjuster forward of the two set screws. Is this the system you have?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Shipping my chain-rig.jpg  

Just one more rep and I get the toaster!