mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Shimano XT Rear Hub Cassette Body- Is it steel? Good For SS'ing?

Hey all!

I am converting my 26'er into a 650B for giggles to see if I like the wheel size- I found a Handspun wheelset that utilizes a Shimano XT Rear Hub and thought I would take the plunge. My frame has swappable dropouts so I can run gears as well as ss. Currently I run a WI rear disc hub so I use a free wheel so I don't have direct experience using a spacer/cog setup on a cassette body. In past readings it sounds like some cassette bodies are made out of aluminum and strip easily when running the spacer cog setup and that steel bodies are superior. Any ideas what the Shimano XT cassette body is- alum or steel? Internet searches did not produce the info. Thanks for you help!
    I guarantee I will never, ever be accused of bringing sexy back...

Kicker of Elves
    Quote Originally Posted by Molasses
    Hey all!

I am converting my 26'er into a 650B for giggles to see if I like the wheel size- I found a Handspun wheelset that utilizes a Shimano XT Rear Hub and thought I would take the plunge. My frame has swappable dropouts so I can run gears as well as ss. Currently I run a WI rear disc hub so I use a free wheel so I don't have direct experience using a spacer/cog setup on a cassette body. In past readings it sounds like some cassette bodies are made out of aluminum and strip easily when running the spacer cog setup and that steel bodies are superior. Any ideas what the Shimano XT cassette body is- alum or steel? Internet searches did not produce the info. Thanks for you help!
    Model Number FH-M775-L
    Series DEORE XT
    Disc Rotor Mount Center Lock
    Freehub Body 8/9-speed compatible
    Freehub Body Material steel

http://bike.shimano.com/publish/cont..._mountain.html

meatier showers
    qui
    Quote Originally Posted by Molasses
    Hey all!

It's steel and quite abusable.

--sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org
    Remember who
    you wanted to be.

Quote Originally Posted by riverrat
    Jaybo... quit *****ing and move to Texas

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    I think the question to be asked is - is it 770 and later model or not? Some folks on this forum have reported lock nut on 770 backing out. Also the aluminum axle prone to breakage (I can't find the thread for the moment...) while lighter and cro-mo axle.

I have 5 year old 760 still kicking on my ss. I do clean the freewheel body bearings (pop the body, pop the seal, repack grease inside the hub) once a year, and 1/4'' axle bearings a couple of times a year. Whatever the reason, the hub went (almost) silent abotu a year ago, I don't know why. Have not lost any engagement so I keep riding that way. I'm planning on relacing these wheels for the 2nd time this winter (want to go back to black spoke). My strong vote for 760, I like it so much that I just bought another 760

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by hatake
    I think the question to be asked is - is it 770 and later model or not? Some folks on this forum have reported lock nut on 770 backing out. Also the aluminum axle prone to breakage (I can't find the thread for the moment...) while lighter and cro-mo axle.
    I somewhat disagree with this... with any cup and cone hubset you can have the cones get loose, it is not a 770/775 xt problem exclusively. You are supposed to monitor and service the preload on new hubs at they are breaking in.

Regarding axle breakage... I would doubt that through use the axles are breaking on these hubs, my guess is that it's through unskilled servicing of the cups/cones. over tension aluminum and of course it will let go.

for the OP: I have used a set of xt 770's for single speed use with a super cheap stamped steel cog, worked just fine. I actually liked the new 36pt engagement on the 770/775 hubs. cant really go wrong with them either as they can be had quite often for under 50/pc