mtbr member
    Aug 2012

Shimano Warranty

Hi Guys, just thought I'd let you guys know, I just had some Shimano Cranks denied a warranty because I wasn't using Shimano chain rings on it. I had a new old stock M760 XT crank that I bought just under 2 years ago and had one of the chain ring tabs crack off it. It has only ever had a 32 Tooth ring on it so plenty of ground clearance. I was told by Shimano NZ that using a non - Shimano chain ring has increased the stress on the tab and caused it to crack.

I'll be replacing the crank with a SRAM that has a replaceable spider and was wondering if anyone else had ever had an issue with Shimano tabs due to running a non Shimano ring.

Big Gulps, Alright!
    I've had the same set of M760 cranks for 6 years now. Only recently put a non-Shimano chainring on it. However, there ARE aftermarket rings that are downright incompatible. Some of the newer Shimano rings wont even work.

What ring were you using?

nothing to see here
    Can't really argue with that. Bad luck.
    I see hills.

I want to climb them.

B.Ike
    lesson learned: put a shimano ring on before attempting warranty resolution.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I used a G Ring and 2 Hope rings, all worked fine and yep, I guess lesson learnt. Fit a Shimano ring to send it away.

local trails rider
    No issues using Blackspire and FSA singlespeed (or DH) rings on LX and Saint cranks (with bashring).

I recall seeing pics of 4 bolt cranks where a tab broke and chainring folded in SS use. I feel a bashring is additional insurance against this, whether I need the ring for log and rock protection or not (which I do, due to pretty crappy technique in crossing logs).

"it IS possible that you are faster or slower than anybody else who is having at least as much if not more or less fun"

SSolo
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Floor Tom View Post
    Hi Guys, just thought I'd let you guys know, I just had some Shimano Cranks denied a warranty because I wasn't using Shimano chain rings on it. I had a new old stock M760 XT crank that I bought just under 2 years ago and had one of the chain ring tabs crack off it. It has only ever had a 32 Tooth ring on it so plenty of ground clearance. I was told by Shimano NZ that using a non - Shimano chain ring has increased the stress on the tab and caused it to crack.

I'll be replacing the crank with a SRAM that has a replaceable spider and was wondering if anyone else had ever had an issue with Shimano tabs due to running a non Shimano ring.
    Wow, terrible warranty support...who'd a thunk?

Quote Originally Posted by ElwoodT View Post
    lesson learned: put a shimano ring on before attempting warranty resolution.
    Yes.
    Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life son...

mtbr member
    Ja, same thing happened to me. But couldn't be bothered attempting a warranty. The distributor in NZ is ......difficult.

mtbr member

... and if we just ... Shimano New Zealand!

Quote Originally Posted by Shalom View Post
    The distributor in NZ is ......difficult.
    So true and Sad at the same time!

If only we had good support in NZ we may stop Buying from overseas at lower prices then in NZ

Pete

mtbr member
    Precisely. I do not mind a slightly higher price if the service is there to back it up.

mtbr member
    I have a tab crack on a SLX crank. It had a Blackspire ring. Warranty was done through LBS with no issues.