Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Dead Legs

Sheared a Powerlink?

I have been riding SS with 8speed sram chains and powerlinks for a few years now.. Yesterday was grinding up a steep grunt on my Misfit, and this happens.

To say the least, my knee hit something hard, bars maybe, and it looks like 1/2 an orange is buried under my skin just above my knee now. Told my kids to call me puff daddy.

Anyone else ever have a problem with these? Is there a better way??.. I race, and change cogs/chains once in a while for different courses, so a quicklink is a preferred method.

Thanks for any ideas.

Greg
    Something Has to be rigid between my legs... so it's my bike.

Mtbr Forum Sponsor - Homebrewed Components
    Jul 2006
    yep, i broke 2 in one race. Never trusted one again. I use the bmx type master links instead.

bi-winning
    On my geared bike, I have had 1 powerlink fail since 2002. In that same time period, I have had one chain failure on a link that was not the powerlink.

It's not really an accurate conclusion, but my experience says that the powerlink is no more likely to fail than the other links in the chain.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Shorthills Cycling Club

Dead Legs
    Thanks Dan, I think I know what you are talking about, but can't seem to find them??
    Do they come in 8sp or do I need to go to BMX chains? I kind of like to stick to 8sp chains.

Reminds me, I need a few more different cogs from you.

Dead Legs
    rkj__, This is the first I've ever broken as well, I'm a bit light at 145 though.

Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by rkj__
    On my geared bike, I have had 1 powerlink fail since 2002. In that same time period, I have had one chain failure on a link that was not the powerlink.

It's not really an accurate conclusion, but my experience says that the powerlink is no more likely to fail than the other links in the chain.
    it's definitely weaker than the rest of the chain. lots of stress points there, IMO.

Greg, it doesnt need to be an 8 speed specific one. 8 speed chains are 3/32", so one from a 3/32" bmx chain will work fine. That's what i use.

http://www.amazon.com/KMC-Z610H-Mast.../dp/B0013CVW56

Dead Legs
    Sweet, thanks! I'll give them a try!

meatier showers
    Hey Sherwin, that is an awesome photo of a broken powerlink and I'm not kidding.

I've been using them since they were first introduced but have yet to break one. Not saying they're any more trustworthy than the rest of the chain, but I keep reusing them... now watch, I'll break one on my next ride.

I'm ~220# in my riding gear, run 195mm cranks, do lots of climbing. I don't know why I've never broken a powerlink.

But I never have. (Knock on steel).

--sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org
    Remember who
    you wanted to be.

Quote Originally Posted by riverrat
    Jaybo... quit *****ing and move to Texas

Did I catch a niner?
    One powerlink break in a few years? I'd that's pretty good. I've sheared chains in less time then that.
    Mr. Krabs: Is it true, Squidward? Is it hilarious?
    https://www.dollarshaveclub.com/ref/...A0CC/s/tx/cx/1

WWYD?
    I do not like those chains or the powerlinks. For me, they would break after a few hundred miles. I was getting tired buying those links in bulk. Go D.I.D. and you'll never worry again!

Ovaries on the Outside
    I've broken two BMX masterlinks on various bikes, which is fine, as I was just waiting to upgrade to SRAMs anywho.

I'd be surprised if those masterlinks break that often. I, uh, break a lot of rules with chains- most have several masterlinks because I swap bikes, chains and set ups so often and I'm sure that most of the set ups have parts of different chain models. Maybe I'll have a failure and learn my lesson.

Dead Legs
    Thanks Sparticus.. just put it on my bike room rubber floor, and shot it with macro.. flash off.

johnnyb - what does D.I.D. mean?

And thanks everyone else for replying...

It seems people have broke everything.. or everything breaks eventually (although this chain was only 4 months, it has had some serious miles on it) I just thought if mine broke at the link, and not somewhere else with MY WEIGHT, bigger guys would be shredding them!

Dead Legs
    Wonder if I maybe caught a stick to add extra force or something? I didn't see anything, but it was a night ride.

nothing to see here
    I've seen them break without warning. I use the KMC one (but in 1/8) and swear by it.
    I see hills.

I want to climb them.

WWYD?

Here's your D.I.D....

Quote Originally Posted by Sherwin
    Thanks Sparticus.. just put it on my bike room rubber floor, and shot it with macro.. flash off.

johnnyb - what does D.I.D. mean?

And thanks everyone else for replying...

It seems people have broke everything.. or everything breaks eventually (although this chain was only 4 months, it has had some serious miles on it) I just thought if mine broke at the link, and not somewhere else with MY WEIGHT, bigger guys would be shredding them!

D.I.D. is a super strong track chain. Comes with a nut and bolt for a powerlink. But I just pin the chain back together with out. Mine cost $60 in S.F.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnyb
    D.I.D. is a super strong track chain. Comes with a nut and bolt for a powerlink. But I just pin the chain back together with out. Mine cost $60 in S.F.
    i was unaware they made bike chains... i've run their motorcycle chains for years though. That looks pretty legit, is it 3/32"?

WWYD?
    Quote Originally Posted by ISuckAtRiding
    i was unaware they made bike chains... i've run their motorcycle chains for years though. That looks pretty legit, is it 3/32"?
    Yep. I've been running one on my KHS solo-one with a Stylo crank for over a year and until the FRAME broke, it's now on my Monocog. I measured for stretch. None.

Jul 2006
    Yep. I've been running one on my KHS solo-one with a Stylo crank for over a year and until the FRAME broke, it's now on my Monocog. I measured for stretch. None.
    Tits McGee! I'll look into those when my k810sl goes bad. Thanks for the info.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005

more stress points?

Quote Originally Posted by ISuckAtRiding
    it's definitely weaker than the rest of the chain. lots of stress points there, IMO.

Greg, it doesnt need to be an 8 speed specific one. 8 speed chains are 3/32", so one from a 3/32" bmx chain will work fine. That's what i use.

http://www.amazon.com/KMC-Z610H-Mast.../dp/B0013CVW56
    it didn't even break on the extended hole, where are there more stress points?

WWYD?
    Quote Originally Posted by herbn
    it didn't even break on the extended hole, where are there more stress points?
    Mine would sometimes crack apart in the middle of the link.

Jul 2006
    It's also a strong possiblity that it is hardened slightly more than the rest of the links, which would make it more likely to crack than deform.

Dead Legs
    I'm ordering the master link to try, but while I'm at it, should I change to a better chain? The KMC 610's look super heavy.. Ohhhh..

"warning I am a bit of a weight weiner, even though I ride steel." I realize that strong and light are not too common, but is there a good middle ground for chains? I've been using sram 870's. Rotating mass and all that crap..

Dinner for wolves
    That's how my only Powerlink failure occurred. A crack that slowly expanded during a ride on my commuter. The powerlinks on my SS bikes had/have not failed in >3yrs. In my case this suggests repetitive use caused failure. I have had multispeed chain fail in other ways and have witnessed 1/8 inch track/BMX chsins fail as well. Who knows what is strongest or best. Perhaps replacing a 3/32 inch Powerlink chain every 1-2 years is a 99% solution? In the end, powerlink failures are as rare/common as any other type of chain failure in my experiece. Granted I have never spent more than 30 bucks on a chain.
    Last edited by buddhak; 10-30-2010 at 07:03 PM.
    Responds to gravity

WWYD?
    Quote Originally Posted by buddhak
    That's how my only Powerlink failed. A crack that slowly expanded during a ride on my commuter. The powerlinks on my SS bikes had/have not failed in >3yrs. In my case this suggests repetitive use caused failure. I have had multispeed chain fail in other ways and have witnessed 1/8 inch track/BMX chsins fail as well. Who knows what is strongest or best. Perhaps replacing a 3/32 inch Powerlink chain every 1-2 years is a 99% solution? In the end, powerlink failures are as rare/common as any other type of chain failure in my experiece. Granted I have never spent more than 30 bucks on a chain.
    I had my 1X9 bike's chain do the same just recently, and replaced it with a Dura-ace and an XT cassette. Mo' bettah. Shimano uses a pin connector, maybe thats a better way to do it. I used to use only Shimano chains, but I went to SRAM based on advice from friends using one.

I have several bikes and the other remaining SRAM chain I have, I just pinned it together without a link. I'll have to wait and see if that fails.

meatier showers
    Quote Originally Posted by Sherwin
    ...is there a good middle ground for chains? I've been using sram 870's. Rotating mass and all that crap..
    The SRAM 870 is a fine chain. But it costs nearly twice as much as the SRAM 830 chain... which I believe is every bit as good a chain.

I've been using the 830 (or it's predecessor) for years with good experience. I believe it is as strong as and resists stretching as well as SRAM's more expensive offerings. But even if it doesn't quite, I can swap in a new one nearly twice as often for the same price, and I'm confident I'm getting better value via going about it this way.

--sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org
    Remember who
    you wanted to be.

Quote Originally Posted by riverrat
    Jaybo... quit *****ing and move to Texas

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast