Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Do you prefer it to your B-Side? If so, in what ways?

western NC
    Too early to say I prefer one over the other. They are very different bikes as well. The Stache feels more like my Fuel EX geometry wise, which for me is a good thing as it makes going back and forth very easy. I like the rollover and traction that 29+ affords, but it does take more effort to get the heavier tires and wheels spun up. The B side in plus mode has great traction also, and in plus mode the difference in wheel and tire weight is probably nill. On a fast flowy trail I might be faster on it. In technical terrain (none of that local to me) I'd prefer the Stache. Ultimately, I think some bikes just feel right from the get go, and some don't. This one did from minute one.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I have been off the bike for a couple of years getting our small organic farm set up but its time to get back on the single speed. Going through the shop to upgrade the Jamis Dragon One just a bit. I started reading this thread at the beginning and it has really got me ready to get back out on the trail! So thank you! HPIguy I'm just south of you close to Helen, GA and some where close to RacerM41. Love the pictures out west! It's just so different from our eastern riding. Keep the motivation coming!

western NC
    ^^Very cool, I hear there's some good riding down your way.

Got to ride the SStache on trails I know very well both yesterday and today, 20+ miles total. Cold both days, and we had freezing rain last night that thawed by the time we rode today. So the trails are covered in leaf litter, and damp. I could not have been happier to have been on the SStache today, as I watched others slip and skitter around, especially in corners. The SStache just hooked up and hauled, and if it did slip, it would re-gain traction very quickly. I really love this bike! And for me at least, I have just as much fun on this as I do on my Fuel EX, it's everything I wanted in an aggressive, burly SS. I see a B Side going up for sale soon.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Share your LATEST SS ride...Pics and words-img_0307.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Really thinking about the Stache for my future ride. I like my rigid set up with the 29+ front tire. Rocky, Roooty or smooth and fast I just fill more at home on the beefier front end even rigid. So we are all close maybe after I hopefully finish this second round of the Snake we should plan a ride sometime. 👍

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

western NC
    Yep, I'd be down for a ride sometime for sure. Provided you guys know I'm slow as hell, seriously, I'm really slow and you WILL have to wait on me. Depending on what size bike you ride, you can try out the Stache if you want also. I really dig it, it's hard to explain, but it doesn't ride or feel like you'd think it would.

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Sounds like a plan. I will stay in touch.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Sounds good Racer as long as your into a social ride. Lets try to catch up this spring.
    I never did get to race the Snake back when I was racing 6 & 12 hour. The guys at the shop always came back pretty beat up from the rocks and roots. So rigid single speed on the snake... you get tons of respect.

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Yea it's a rough one for sure. Im signed up for the 50 but in Jan the entire race was cut down to the last 17 miles due to road conditions so this is my first go at the entire 50. I've been up there a few times now pre riding it in sections. Plus I banged up my left shoulder back in July and its strengthened up fairly well until Monday. I fell on the roof of my house and I had to grab for anything I could and tweaked it pretty good so it's shaping up to be a long day in the saddle. LOL

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Social Rides are good for me. All this hammering all the time can take the fun out of it at times.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Did a 12 mile ride in Placitas, NM after work on my Kona Honzo SS. So stoked the days are getting a little longer.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Share your LATEST SS ride...Pics and words-20170207_175656.jpg  

Share your LATEST SS ride...Pics and words-20170207_175746.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Yikes shoulders are slow to heal. A heating pad seems to help my shoulders (broken collar bone & separated shoulder on the bike a few years back). Gets the blood flowing and loosens it up. Might give it a try. Certainly going to be a long day in the saddle. Be safe out there and let us know how it goes.

mtbr member
    China Camp State Park last week. Fun little lap by myself.

Share your LATEST SS ride...Pics and words-edit-163326.jpg

Share your LATEST SS ride...Pics and words-edit-154250.jpg

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Power Ranger View Post
    Yikes shoulders are slow to heal. A heating pad seems to help my shoulders (broken collar bone & separated shoulder on the bike a few years back). Gets the blood flowing and loosens it up. Might give it a try. Certainly going to be a long day in the saddle. Be safe out there and let us know how it goes.
    I will try the heat. Keeping it stretched out and tens unit so far. It seems ok but a bit weak compared to a week ago.
    Thanks

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by maximo View Post
    Did a 12 mile ride in Placitas, NM after work on my Kona Honzo SS. So stoked the days are getting a little longer.
    What a view!!!

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Fatty and the Bandit Race #2 50 degrees, snow melting MUD FEST...

2 dropped chains (yes on the SS!)... one was 100m from the finish and I was winning! A stick popped up from the mud and wrapped 3 times around the rear cog. I had to sprint it in. The guy I was battling with (geared 27+) passed me, then waited when he saw me sprinting and catching him. He let me finish first.

wanna ride bikes?
    mud races are fun every once in a while. it can be the great equalizer or seriously separate the men from the boys.

Quote Originally Posted by khardrunner14 View Post
    2 dropped chains (yes on the SS!)... one was 100m from the finish and I was winning! A stick popped up from the mud and wrapped 3 times around the rear cog. I had to sprint it in. The guy I was battling with (geared 27+) passed me, then waited when he saw me sprinting and catching him. He let me finish first.
    that's super nice of him. i gotta be honest, i don't think i would have done the same. it's a race and shit happens.

looks like fun though!
    Rigid SS 29er
    Fat Lefty
    SS MonsterCross
    SS cyclocross
    all steel

Stop asking how much it weighs and just go ride it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by *OneSpeed* View Post
    mud races are fun every once in a while. it can be the great equalizer or seriously separate the men from the boys.

that's super nice of him. i gotta be honest, i don't think i would have done the same. it's a race and shit happens.

looks like fun though!
    Yeah I told him to just finish and I'd take 2nd, but he said he knew he was beat so he rode next to me as I jogged it in.

western NC
    That's a hell of a sportsman!

mtbr member
    Jun 2015

2nd round is over. Well this was my first Race/Time Trial on a Mt Bike or Bicycle period. I've raced other stuff but have to say this was One Hell of an Experience.

western NC
    Huge congrats, that's awesome that you did it on a SS!

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by HPIguy View Post
    Huge congrats, that's awesome that you did it on a SS!
    Thanks man. It was a long day, we had 3 or 4 guys that had mechanical issues and one flat and I actually had to reset the bead on my front. After Vomit Hill I went sailing through the air off a little rock jump 😆 and landed pretty hard and I felt it then. I must have burped it or something.
    Quote Originally Posted by RacerM41 View Post

2nd round is over. Well this was my first Race/Time Trial on a Mt Bike or Bicycle period. I've raced other stuff but have to say this was One Hell of an Experience.

Negative Rep Points!!!!

Up!

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Share your LATEST SS ride...Pics and words-img_8710.jpg  

What the EFF is "All MOUNTAIN"???

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquaholic View Post
    I want to go and ride somewhere like this. 👍

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Me too! Awesome trail Aquaholic! Looks like a blast.

Congrats RacerM41 & khardrunner14!

The mud looks like a sufferfest. Glad to see sportsmanship is alive and well in mountain biking. Cool story to go along with that trophy

Racer you look like your are having a good time.... and that's what its all about!

HPIguy That Stache looks sweet. Hope to see it in person on a slow social ride.

ScottP that pic is crazy cool!

wanna ride bikes?
    Quote Originally Posted by RacerM41 View Post
    yeah, you don't look like your having any fun at all...

Quote Originally Posted by Aquaholic View Post
    indeed, UP! nice view, i'm jealous of your elevation. I wish i had mountains like that here!!!
    Rigid SS 29er
    Fat Lefty
    SS MonsterCross
    SS cyclocross
    all steel

western NC
    Yep, that shot is killer Aquaholic! And I'm definitely still down for that social ride with the GA crew.

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Today was my first ride on a single speed.... WOW am I astonished at the sensation of the rear wheel being directly connected to the pedals. Not much else I can say about SS-ing other than I am HOOKED!

Share your LATEST SS ride...Pics and words-img_0578-copy.jpg

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by smitty39 View Post
    Today was my first ride on a single speed.... WOW am I astonished at the sensation of the rear wheel being directly connected to the pedals. Not much else I can say about SS-ing other than I am HOOKED!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0578 - Copy.JPG 
Views:	60 
Size:	349.9 KB 
ID:	1121533
    Nice Ride there. Yep, it grabs ya and sometimes want let go. First ride like you and I was hooked.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Here are some pics from a few recent SS rides...the green Pugs is SS and the white is fixed/ Fixed is a learning experience and SS is awesome!Share your LATEST SS ride...Pics and words-15493615_1407408762626048_6291543257838495801_o.jpgShare your LATEST SS ride...Pics and words-16298841_1462039280496329_4900744929203988494_n.jpgShare your LATEST SS ride...Pics and words-16427697_1470386412994949_5840526042992020136_n-1-.jpgShare your LATEST SS ride...Pics and words-16730318_1478455972187993_1899099199053697137_n.jpgShare your LATEST SS ride...Pics and words-16722823_1479762308724026_2495068926333908257_o.jpg

wanna ride bikes?
    ^

fixed: why do people do that to themselves? jk, I'd like to try it once just to say i did it, and I hope i HATE every second of it.
    Rigid SS 29er
    Fat Lefty
    SS MonsterCross
    SS cyclocross
    all steel

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I didn't hate it...be careful you may not either.

Negative Rep Points!!!!
    Yesterday. Mid week fix.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Share your LATEST SS ride...Pics and words-chunk.jpg  

Share your LATEST SS ride...Pics and words-chunk2.jpg  

Share your LATEST SS ride...Pics and words-chunk3.jpg  

western NC
    ^^chunky!!

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Incredible ride across frozen Lake Minnetonka! We rode to an island in the middle and explored the dam area. The ice was 20+ inches thick in places. Studded tires were a requirement and had more grip than our boots. In the middle of the lake two sections had pushed up water from underneath creating a river on top of the ice. The pictures don't do it justice. Amazing.
    @jonesbikes
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Share your LATEST SS ride...Pics and words-img_8261.jpg  

Share your LATEST SS ride...Pics and words-img_8285.jpg  

Share your LATEST SS ride...Pics and words-img_1934.jpg  

"Nothing is free."

Fargo Ti / Jones TI Spaceframe SS / Mukluk Ti / Foundry Cross / Colnago Master / Cannondale Tandem

mtbr member
    Awesome! Got any video footage???
    Bikes, lots'o bikes

western NC
    That's pretty crazy!

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    Share your LATEST SS ride...Pics and words-img_0371.jpg
    Share your LATEST SS ride...Pics and words-img_0372.jpg
    Share your LATEST SS ride...Pics and words-img_0434.jpg
    Ride up into the clouds...

...and down through our "raging" waters.

I feel bad for my other bike. It never gets ridden anymore.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Super nice day here in Southern Pa yesterday (and today, but I don't get to ride until this afternoon). Soloed this ride, and it was a tough one. Two of the downhill sections were so rocky that they were slower than the uphills! I'm still pretty tired from this ride, but I'll get out a bit today to loosen things up.

Pics linked in the strava link below...
    https://www.strava.com/activities/871288316

wanna ride bikes?
    ^ Nice!
    Rigid SS 29er
    Fat Lefty
    SS MonsterCross
    SS cyclocross
    all steel

Cycologist
    ^

fixed: why do people do that to themselves? jk, I'd like to try it once just to say i did it, and I hope i HATE every second of it.
    I've ridden my fixed gear Gunnar Streetdog (bad name for a cyclocross geometry bike) on a very mild beginner trail and occasionally on a near-by crushed granite path. You do not want to ride fixed on anything at all chunky! It will force you to put a pedal where you do not want it.
    "I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." -Douglas Adams.

wanna ride bikes?
    Quote Originally Posted by chazpat View Post
    I've ridden my fixed gear Gunnar Streetdog (bad name for a cyclocross geometry bike) on a very mild beginner trail and occasionally on a near-by crushed granite path. You do not want to ride fixed on anything at all chunky! It will force you to put a pedal where you do not want it.
    that's what i was thinking. I've thought about it while i was out riding and thought "there's just no effin way". many sections of trail are so tight here i have to slow to a crawl to get my bars through trees, or time a pedal stroke just right to get my wheels and cranks through a rock/log/rooty section. there's a few that i don't make maybe 1 in 5. it would just mean more walking i guess. but there's a couple spots on the edge of cliffs that would scare the crap out of me, in fact i wouldn't even try it.

anyway, I'm sure it would work better on some more open trails. I guess it could be fun if you had the right trails and the right setup. maybe.
    Rigid SS 29er
    Fat Lefty
    SS MonsterCross
    SS cyclocross
    all steel

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    Super nice day here in Southern Pa yesterday (and today, but I don't get to ride until this afternoon). Soloed this ride, and it was a tough one. Two of the downhill sections were so rocky that they were slower than the uphills! I'm still pretty tired from this ride, but I'll get out a bit today to loosen things up.

Pics linked in the strava link below...
    https://www.strava.com/activities/871288316

It looks brutal!!!! What was your gearing here? Riding on some 10% grade climb???

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I ran 36x18 with a stans crow 2.0 rear tire. Some of the grades got over 14-15% in places. It was hard, but the worst part was the two rocky dh sections. THEY kicked my butt!

wanna ride bikes?
    oh singlespeed, i miss you. it's been a while, but I got out today. trails are melted ooze so i hit the pavement for an urban cross loop. gorgeous day!

Share your LATEST SS ride...Pics and words-river.jpg
    Rigid SS 29er
    Fat Lefty
    SS MonsterCross
    SS cyclocross
    all steel

western NC
    I always wanted to try an SS cross bike. One of these days maybe.

Super short ride today due to family stuff, but better than nothing. Played around with my PSI a bit more, dropped 1/2lb in the rear, feels better. Still loving the shit outta this bike.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Share your LATEST SS ride...Pics and words-ride.jpg  

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Second ride on the plus front end. Still LOVE it. Just seems to be the perfect blend for me. Met up with a couple buddies. Had the wath stopped a couple times so I am missing a bit in there. Loving the warm February weather this year.
    https://www.strava.com/activities/87...S&v=1487631188

SS Pusher Man
    Second ride on the plus front end. Still LOVE it. Just seems to be the perfect blend for me. Met up with a couple buddies. Had the wath stopped a couple times so I am missing a bit in there. Loving the warm February weather this year.
    https://www.strava.com/activities/87...S&v=1487631188

Where are the pics?????
    I resolve to constantly assert my honest opinion on anything and everything - whether it is requested or not.
    Bucky the Cat

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    In the strava link

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Share your LATEST SS ride...Pics and words-img_7262.jpg

First outing in a Stooge Mk2 with SS set up with a B+ rear and 29+ front. Have to say, coming from a Rohloff powered bike, this just flew. Really really like the way it just goes as soon as you stamp on the pedals and the lighter rear wheel is a hoot through the techy stuff...I'm used to a heavier back end in that department!

Need to play a little with the ratio as whilst I only had to 'push' once up one of the longer climbs some of our techy trails were properly hard work...maybe I should work on fitness & strength too!

mtbr member
    Feb 2017

Early morning ride

Riding on the hills near the coast, Cabo Rojo, Puerto Rico.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Share your LATEST SS ride...Pics and words-img_6064.jpg  

WNC Native

This thing rocks!

Share your LATEST SS ride...Pics and words-img_3254.jpg
    "I ride to clear my head, my head is clearer when I'm riding SS. Therefore, I choose to ride SS."~ Fullrange Drew

western NC
    ^^Nice

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    that's what i was thinking. I've thought about it while i was out riding and thought "there's just no effin way". many sections of trail are so tight here i have to slow to a crawl to get my bars through trees, or time a pedal stroke just right to get my wheels and cranks through a rock/log/rooty section. there's a few that i don't make maybe 1 in 5. it would just mean more walking i guess. but there's a couple spots on the edge of cliffs that would scare the crap out of me, in fact i wouldn't even try it.

anyway, I'm sure it would work better on some more open trails. I guess it could be fun if you had the right trails and the right setup. maybe.
    My trails are chunky but I am an idiot...it's funny how fixed changes a simple log over. Haven't taken the fixie down into the rough stuff but I will soon. I have been enjoying gears this week. Here are some pics of my local trail...it will be fun and yes I am stupid.Share your LATEST SS ride...Pics and words-920743_1112665258767068_6437366327567235929_o.jpgShare your LATEST SS ride...Pics and words-11896200_1045600585473536_3110305569851575662_n.jpgShare your LATEST SS ride...Pics and words-12265774_1097384503628477_5266248161217432247_o.jpg

mtbr member
    Feb 2016

I got a quick ride in between the storms here in northern Ca. Looking toward Mt. Tam, where it all started.

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    From the Edgewood MTB Trail in LI...

edgewood-redo_0051 by vracing, on Flickr

edgewood-redo_0039 by vracing, on Flickr

edgewood-redo_0032 by vracing, on Flickr

edgewood-redo_0023 by vracing, on Flickr

edgewood-redo_0021 by vracing, on Flickr

western NC
    All of those last series of pics are great!!

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    Few more....

powerplant2a by vracing, on Flickr

edgewood-redo_0017 by vracing, on Flickr

edgewood-redo_0015 by vracing, on Flickr

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    No video, just stills. Here are a couple more.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Share your LATEST SS ride...Pics and words-img_8256.jpg  

Share your LATEST SS ride...Pics and words-img_8258.jpg  

Share your LATEST SS ride...Pics and words-img_8273.jpg  

Share your LATEST SS ride...Pics and words-img_8275.jpg  

"Nothing is free."

Fargo Ti / Jones TI Spaceframe SS / Mukluk Ti / Foundry Cross / Colnago Master / Cannondale Tandem

western NC
    Is that a cat print?

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    I don't know what it was, but that is a size 45 boot next to it. Looked huge to me.
    "Nothing is free."

wanna ride bikes?
    double post
    Rigid SS 29er
    Fat Lefty
    SS MonsterCross
    SS cyclocross
    all steel

wanna ride bikes?
    since the weather won't make up it's mind lately I've been doing a lot of rides on the cross bike (avoiding wet trails) instead of on the fatbike in the snow. But, it's ok. I can still hammer hills on a SS. Nice sunrise this morning.

Share your LATEST SS ride...Pics and words-sunrise.jpg

came across a big stainless steel frog!? cause that's normal.

Share your LATEST SS ride...Pics and words-frog.jpg

Share your LATEST SS ride...Pics and words-city.jpg

and I found this little sticker on a truck as i was going by. pretty funny

Share your LATEST SS ride...Pics and words-f-.jpg
    Rigid SS 29er
    Fat Lefty
    SS MonsterCross
    SS cyclocross
    all steel

western NC
    ^^LOL love that sticker

Quote Originally Posted by B_Aero View Post
    I don't know what it was, but that is a size 45 boot next to it. Looked huge to me.
    That's pretty crazy.

western NC
    Rode today, and had one of those days where you just feel strong. Cleaned a climb for the first time on a SS without having to stop and let my heart rate drop. I was about to pop by the top though. Actually got to pass the shop owner (also on a SS) when he spun the rear in the leaves, that's a first. I've really grown to love the traction of the 29+, and just how far I can push it with the Stache. It suits SS riding very well IMO, and suits me perfectly.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Share your LATEST SS ride...Pics and words-fullsizerender-2-.jpg  

Share your LATEST SS ride...Pics and words-img_0452.jpg  

Share your LATEST SS ride...Pics and words-img_0453.jpg  

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Share your LATEST SS ride...Pics and words-img_0091.jpg

Made it 1/3 of the way up. Nice 9 mile spin before work this afternoon.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Here is another climb this 52 year old resorted to foul language when lungs waved the white flag.

Share your LATEST SS ride...Pics and words-img_0109.jpg

Negative Rep Points!!!!
    Efff!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Share your LATEST SS ride...Pics and words-unchained.jpg  

wanna ride bikes?
    Quote Originally Posted by aquaholic View Post
    efff!
    otb?
    Rigid SS 29er
    Fat Lefty
    SS MonsterCross
    SS cyclocross
    all steel

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Little_twin View Post

I got a quick ride in between the storms here in northern Ca. Looking toward Mt. Tam, where it all started.
    Its amazing how nice those trails are even in this weather. I take my dogs up there all the time, they come back covered in ticks though. Pulled at least 30 off each dog the other day
    I'm sick of all the Irish stereotypes, as soon as I finish this beer I"m punching someone

mtbr member
    Sep 2007

Last ride...wet day at Santa Theresa

Out for a couple weeks decided to give her first real cleanup/maintenance since building 2 years ago.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
    Last edited by madsweeney; 03-06-2017 at 11:00 AM.

Sunday loop around Albuquerque
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Share your LATEST SS ride...Pics and words-17156040_10104881361145033_1820752908737959489_n.jpg  

wanna ride bikes?
    ^ that's a solid days work!
    Rigid SS 29er
    Fat Lefty
    SS MonsterCross
    SS cyclocross
    all steel

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    ^ that's a solid days work!
    Yeah, I got the impression last weekend in Silver City that Nomit is pretty dang fast and appears to have limitless energy.

#badhombres

lol, that's definitely not the way laps 7-9 felt.

mtbr member

Hidden Falls

Hidden Falls, fantastic shape after all this rain, only one bog section.

Share your LATEST SS ride...Pics and words-img_0406.jpg

Share your LATEST SS ride...Pics and words-img_0381.jpg

Share your LATEST SS ride...Pics and words-img_0402.jpg

Share your LATEST SS ride...Pics and words-img_0403.jpg

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by nomit View Post
    lol, that's definitely not the way laps 7-9 felt.
    Well you blew by me at least three times on my way to 7. I was cooked.

mtbr member
    Easy riding down in Big Cypress and perfect weather last weekend. Plenty of gators, snakes and other critters to keep us interested.

Negative Rep Points!!!!
    Wed stoke!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Share your LATEST SS ride...Pics and words-wall.jpg  

Share your LATEST SS ride...Pics and words-img_8589.jpg  

Share your LATEST SS ride...Pics and words-img_0156.jpg  

mtbr member
    Spring brings new trails and ticks!

Share your LATEST SS ride...Pics and words-ride.jpg
    ROS9+ SS
    ROS9 SS
    GT Peace 9R SS

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Roughly 3200 miles from San Diego to Jacksonville over the last two months on the Vassago Fisticuff...

Share your LATEST SS ride...Pics and words-screen-shot-2017-03-17-7.48.40-pm.jpg

Share your LATEST SS ride...Pics and words-screen-shot-2017-03-17-7.52.17-pm.png

Share your LATEST SS ride...Pics and words-screen-shot-2017-03-17-7.53.46-pm.jpg

wanna ride bikes?
    ^ haha, that is EPIC. Sweet ride!

finally, someone tops mtnbikej for biggest ride.
    Rigid SS 29er
    Fat Lefty
    SS MonsterCross
    SS cyclocross
    all steel

holy balls man, nice work.

what gearing do you run for cx touring?

that guy
    Jun 2011
    That's an incredible achievement! Congratulations!

western NC
    WOW, that is incredible. Congrats!

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by nomit View Post
    holy balls man, nice work.

what gearing do you run for cx touring?
    I had a dinglespeed setup with low gear at 39-20 and high at 42-18. Every time I switched to high we got hit with days of headwinds which had me regretting it. I think 42-20 would have been the sweet spot but didn't have the tools to loosen the lock nut on the freewheel and didn't want to lose low gear.

see more pics and some description of the trip @john_mct on instagram

mtbr member

Well here I am starting over in 2017 with SS. Relentless rain, work, honey-do's, and family tragedies, dame fortune has not been kind to my SS pursuits, and sadly but truly, the forecast is bleak.

Still I will ride and ride hard. Maybe I should try SS commuting to work? But that would take even more time.

So yes, it was harder to ride the second string red SS hanging on a tree up there on Thursday because it was the first SS ride in a long time, but it felt good.

Even better, my wife rode her SS with me and she is in the same situation. It was a blast.

Happy to ride. Will ride SS today. Time to go and do it.

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by bankofdad View Post
    Here is another climb this 52 year old resorted to foul language when lungs waved the white flag.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0109.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	230.4 KB 
ID:	1124956
    53 year old here. You're getting it! Just need to go to the profanity earlier in the climb, and you'll make it next time!

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Always look forward to seeing that bike on here. I like how the 27.5s pick up and climb. Neck and shoulder problems getting worse, I am regretfully thinking of running squishy fork and maybe going to 27.5.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Baaaaaaa-ooooooooo--you are truly and Iron Man!

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Good job getting started! Sometimes when you've been through it, and you feel robbed of soul with nothing left, that first ride can't start building it back for you.

mtbr member
    Spring on the Lake Natoma Bluff

Share your LATEST SS ride...Pics and words-tns.jpg

mtbr member
    Carbon Canyon. 3 B's was tough. Had to walk the final steps up the steepest one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

western NC
    I got out today. I really struggled though. It was just one of those days where I just felt like I was struggling with legs made of wood all day. Glad I went though, and still turned out to be my longest ride this year. Nothing compared to some you beasts though.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Share your LATEST SS ride...Pics and words-img_0514-7-.jpg  

Share your LATEST SS ride...Pics and words-img_0516-1-.jpg  

Share your LATEST SS ride...Pics and words-img_0521.jpg  

Share your LATEST SS ride...Pics and words-fullsizerender.jpg  

Share your LATEST SS ride...Pics and words-strava1.jpg  

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Mule Mt. outside of Redding CA

Views of Whiskeytown Lake with Trinity Alps in background. Can also see Mt. Lassen and Mt. Shasta from up here. Nice 1,300 ft descent after this. My favorite lunch ride.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Share your LATEST SS ride...Pics and words-bikeattopsm.jpg  

Share your LATEST SS ride...Pics and words-whiskeytown-copy.jpg  

mtbr member
    https://youtu.be/CDlTFTw8w9A

neighborhood trails. the static camera angle doesn't do a very good job of showing elevation or the size of rocks. I swear everything is bigger in person!
    Thorn in your Sidewall
    Vassago Jabberwocky

mtbr member
    Dry weather and a break in obligations created an occasion for a couple of hours of solo SS at Lake Sonoma in Northern CA.

With the wheels off and the top down I transport my SS in a Fiat 500.

The ride was therapeutic and punctuated with many stops to investigate flowers and enjoy the scenery.

This felt like the first time I had ridden this SS in a couple of months. But I actually did okay because I could clean the first hard climb up the Woodland Ridge Trail from the base of the Warm Springs Dam.

My chain dropped on shallow fire road roller. I had to re-tension it. That was the first time that has happened to me on this bike.

Not good. Nothing bad happened since it jumped off jostling on a mild coasting downhill.

I determine that I did snug it down enough. The hub is a White Industries Emo eccentric. I will use more force in the future and double check it.

My tool kit:

I used a regular allen key when I put the bike together, not the one in the Topeak kit.

Not much more to say. The Madrone forest is a nice part. It was a good ride and I hope to ride there again this Saturday.

My front tire went flat after I reached the car. Not running tubeless on this bike. Got lucky...it was getting dark.

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    Long Island Manorville MTB Trial. Supposed to be the most ideal trails in LI for single MTB. I just put a brand new Schwable Han Dampf 2.35 for the rear. Didn't feel like it was slowing me down maybe because my top speed on the flat is only averaging about 13 mph...with 30x20 gearing.

terrapinrock by vracing, on Flickr

manorvilletrail_0032 by vracing, on Flickr

manorvilletrail_0027 by vracing, on Flickr

manorvilletrail_0021 by vracing, on Flickr

manorvilletrail_0003 by vracing, on Flickr

mtbr member
    Just out of the shower. Tracked mud all the way from the trail to the shower head.

Today is sad. Visited my Dad in his assisted living place this afternoon and sat by him for four hours while he mostly slept. I played with a Bluetooth speaker his favorite Brahms Concerto number 1.

He managed to conduct 64 bars in the air.

The sun was going to go down. I had to put my SS together and put a tube in the front tire before I got going.

My wife decided to stay home, and so this was a solo adventure.

Some pretty gnarly trails up here.

Impossible to explain the sentiments when you watch your parent die while at the same time jonesing for a ride. A rider will understand.

Hadn't been out here since the big rains and so far it was looking really good. For my final run i took a cross canyon route after a hilltop pause for sunset photos.

The canyon bottom was tangle of fallen timber. It was an epic little hike a bike. If you didn't know where the trail was, you would have been f"#c$d.

Just what I needed. Praise the Lord ladies and gentlemen.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    A short ride on Green Mountain. SS is so much fun, and my lungs are starting to catch up .
    Share your LATEST SS ride...Pics and words-imag0006.jpg

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast