Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by socal_jack View Post
    Sunday ride, 29+ perfect for the job
    Dang dude those trails look so buff I'd think my cross bike would be perfect for the job...where's this at BTW?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jmctav23 View Post
    Dang dude those trails look so buff I'd think my cross bike would be perfect for the job...where's this at BTW?
    That's Thunder Mtn in Red Canyon, Dixie National Forest, UT. There are some sections before and after those pics where you'd likely not want a cross bike. Looseness and steeps in spots made the 29+ a real winner.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005

Pisgah Pause

Sometimes you have to go where she wants to go.

Share your LATEST SS ride...Pics and words-img_1107_srgb.jpg

My Ass is My Pilot

Fresh new carbon wheelset with DTSwiss SS hubs. 24.5 pounds with a 34/18 ratio.

Loving the new coat of paint on the old Blue Engin cycles. New (to me) fork and a new set of wheels. Light bicycle rims at 30mm wide and some new Vittoria Mezcal tires with Graphene at 18psi. Riding really well so far.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Share your LATEST SS ride...Pics and words-img_0496.jpg  

Share your LATEST SS ride...Pics and words-img_0495.jpg  

B.O.S/S Shampoo Now with More No More Gears! 34/18
    Ride With B.O.S/S

mtbr member
    Aug 2016

New bike

My new bike. Raleigh Furley.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Share your LATEST SS ride...Pics and words-furley.jpg  

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Fresh Craigslist score turned the Fisticuff from a middleweight brawler to a lean fast fighting machine... CK road hubs laced to Stans Alpha 400 rims with Ti Salsa skewers. And the white spokes really seal the deal.

Share your LATEST SS ride...Pics and words-screen-shot-2016-10-28-10.11.36-am.jpg

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    My favorite trail. Jake/Bull Mtn in GA

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Someone set that bike up right!! Looks good Country!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Nice looking bike!

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Got out for a shake down trail ride for the first time this year. Did a quick 4 miles this past Wednesday at the Bacon Ridge trail in Crownsville, MD.

I completed a project last night.

Then i got to test it out this morning with a quick 3.5 mile loop at the same place. i didn't stop this time as I was only able to ride for a little bit but I love this fork!

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by worrptangl View Post
    Got out for a shake down trail ride for the first time this year. Did a quick 4 miles this past Wednesday at the Bacon Ridge trail in Crownsville, MD.
    Awesome bike! 2:30 min north and west of you in LaVale. Do you have a lot of riding options down your way? My son and I just rode an awesome new IMBA trail at Deep Creek Lake state park--if you're ever out this way, be sure to bring your bike!

Beer Drnkr w/bike problem
    Pine, Az along the Pine Creek Trail
    Share your LATEST SS ride...Pics and words-ss-pic-50%25.jpg
    "Not drinking is the Single Speed World Championships version of doping" -Jacquie Phelan

E-bikes are Mountain Mopeds

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by slohr View Post
    Awesome bike! 2:30 min north and west of you in LaVale. Do you have a lot of riding options down your way? My son and I just rode an awesome new IMBA trail at Deep Creek Lake state park--if you're ever out this way, be sure to bring your bike!
    Yes we have some nice riding out here at Patapsco state Park. I heard that was a nice trail I want to try and get out there next year.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by worrptangl View Post
    Yes we have some nice riding out here at Patapsco state Park. I heard that was a nice trail I want to try and get out there next year.
    I was curious if you might ride there. Still looks like a bit of a haul? I hope to make it down there in the next few weeks. Used to go to that park as a kid in the 70s, but haven't been there to ride.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    a 28km long trip today enjoying the colors of autumn.

There's always next year.
    Post 20 mile shakedown ride for my SS'ed Banshee Phantom. Was a lot of fun!
    Share your LATEST SS ride...Pics and words-img_0292.jpg

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by mhopton View Post
    Someone set that bike up right!! Looks good Country!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Yes they did Mr Hopton! 👍
    Thanks for a Great Deal and a Great Bike

mtbr member
    Jun 2015

I

Another Bull/Jake Mt ride in GA. Awesome place for a Night Ride as well got to try out one of my new lights.

mtbr member
    Cuyamaca SP crossing into Anza Borrego SP Upper Green Valley ST, roughish climb but you are rewarded at the top.

Share your LATEST SS ride...Pics and words-20161023_111335_001.jpg

mtbr member
    Set new distance and climbing PRs for myself last weekend. Prior to 2015, I was lucky to ride once or twice a month. I moved last year and having local trails close by has allowed me to put more and more time on the bike. I've slowly been working my way up, and have finally passed my 50 mile singletrack goal on a rigid SS. Got very close to 1 mile of climbing, but didn't properly prepare for the ride and really needed something to eat before going any further. I've primarily been focused on training for 10-15 mile XC races, so it was a surprise to me that I was able to ride this far.

Share your LATEST SS ride...Pics and words-20161105_132604.jpg

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Loadnreturn View Post
    My daily ride to work. Hard to beat Fall riding... hero dirt, perfect temperatures and changing colors.
    Attachment 1101001
    Nice bike Loadnreturn! I think that is what i'm looking at for a single speed. What size is your frame?

mtbr member
    My long lost baby is back. Well, technically not lost - I had a brainfart and sold it two years ago. Guy kept in great shape and agreed to sell it back. It was the first Surly frame I bought brand new from the shop and I kept thinking on how stupid I was to sell it for the last two years or so.

This was most recent ride, just built up, still deciding on handlebars. These bars went on Krampus and I put on Surly Open bars for now, kind of want to pull the trigger on Fairweather B903, I think they would be a killer on this build

Don't believe everything you think

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Wow cool thread i just found. Ive ridden over 4k miles on my ss mtb this year. Will start to share my rides. Is there a strava group like the fatbike forum?

You can follow me too. https://www.strava.com/athlete/training

Few shots this year
    Sent from my SM-G360P using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by coke View Post
    Set new distance and climbing PRs for myself last weekend. Prior to 2015, I was lucky to ride once or twice a month. I moved last year and having local trails close by has allowed me to put more and more time on the bike. I've slowly been working my way up, and have finally passed my 50 mile singletrack goal on a rigid SS. Got very close to 1 mile of climbing, but didn't properly prepare for the ride and really needed something to eat before going any further. I've primarily been focused on training for 10-15 mile XC races, so it was a surprise to me that I was able to ride this far.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20161105_132604.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	88.4 KB 
ID:	1104312
    One 9 rdo? Thats what i am on. 50 miles rigid ss takes upper body too. Dont neglect that as you build up. Ive ridden about 3k miles of rigid singletrack but in Michigan. Shoulders triceps and forearms need to "train" a bit. Pushups dips pullups work. Where do you live?

My ride sunday was 58 miles, 4.5 hours, 3 trails and some roads. 32 oval 17. https://www.strava.com/activities/768319922

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    86 schwinn sierra... got it free.....ended up turning it into a single speed
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Share your LATEST SS ride...Pics and words-15036699_10153854101235303_7395064012817246132_n.jpg  

Share your LATEST SS ride...Pics and words-15027399_10153854101625303_7364048066094444134_n.jpg  

Share your LATEST SS ride...Pics and words-14925753_10153854101965303_534437095750232839_n.jpg  

Share your LATEST SS ride...Pics and words-bike.jpg  

97 specialized rockhopper.- winter beater
    2013 GT aggressor 3.0- summer commuter

Loop in Albuquerque foothills this evening.

Like it here so far. night riding in shorts in almost mid november.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Share your LATEST SS ride...Pics and words-e1pn-rwzdfkctukhtbtn8jnhvk9jgh2jjmkprsbrldk-2048x1152.jpg  

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Took the first ride on my new Oddity 29+ yesterday! Man this gonna be a fun ride! Goes up the hills fast and down them as fast as you can hold on. Thing eats up the trail. 67 degree head angle, short 420m stays.

Oddity Bars
    Oddity Boost TI fork
    Onyx 148 boost single speed hub
    Nextie carbon rims
    83mm T47 Bottom Bracket with Raceface sixC cranks
    Level brakes
    Gravity dropper post
    King headset

Share your LATEST SS ride...Pics and words-asset.jpg

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LaneDetroitCity View Post
    One 9 rdo? Thats what i am on. 50 miles rigid ss takes upper body too. Dont neglect that as you build up. Ive ridden about 3k miles of rigid singletrack but in Michigan. Shoulders triceps and forearms need to "train" a bit. Pushups dips pullups work. Where do you live?
    Yes it's a One 9 RDO with an enve fork. I was in to weight lifting prior to mountain bikes. I gave up lifting to ride, and noticed my upper body started to shrink. One of the primary reasons I ride rigid now is to get a full body workout.

I ride mostly around Arkansas. There's a mixture of terrain around here, but most trails are somewhat rough and a majority of riders are on full suspension bikes.
    This 50 mile ride was done on a 5 mile trail that's full of tight switchbacks and short but steep climbs.

Name:  atl.jpg
Views: 788
Size:  60.8 KB
    Last edited by coke; 11-14-2016 at 06:29 AM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by quicksilverta View Post
    Took the first ride on my new Oddity 29+ yesterday! Man this gonna be a fun ride! Goes up the hills fast and down them as fast as you can hold on. Thing eats up the trail. 67 degree head angle, short 420m stays.

Oddity Bars
    Oddity Boost TI fork
    Onyx 148 boost single speed hub
    Nextie carbon rims
    83mm T47 Bottom Bracket with Raceface sixC cranks
    Level brakes
    Gravity dropper post
    King headset

Name:	asset.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	120.2 KB 
ID:	1104666
    What a cool bike. How was the ride? Ride report?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by quicksilverta View Post
    Awesome rig! I am in queue for a Feb build from Oddity myself. How tall are you, and where does this bike live? Did you go with paragon for the rear?
    I've been considering going with their bars.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by charlatan View Post
    Awesome rig! I am in queue for a Feb build from Oddity myself. How tall are you, and where does this bike live? Did you go with paragon for the rear?
    I've been considering going with their bars.
    I'm 5'7" I'm from KC. Paragon sliders in the rear. I think the bars are worth it! I haven't had any other bars on it, but like the way they feel. Love the way the bike rides, definitely the fastest rigid bike I've owned.

East side of the Sandias on my day off

Will definitely be making some more training loops out of that stuff. Fun riding, lots of climbing, some flowy, some pretty tech spots on occasion. and lot of embedded rock gardens where it takes a unique combo of finesse and brute force to get up. Reminds me of CO trails without the mtn views.... except I saw two other cyclists all day today.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Share your LATEST SS ride...Pics and words-15027527_10104486322186273_6420488284350227748_n.jpg  

wanna ride bikes?
    that's a cool shot. looks like your way up there. anyone ever tell you you got your head in the clouds?
    Rigid SS 29er
    Fat Lefty
    SS MonsterCross
    SS cyclocross
    all steel

Stop asking how much it weighs and just go ride it.

That's Thunder Mtn in Red Canyon, Dixie National Forest, UT. There are some sections before and after those pics where you'd likely not want a cross bike. Looseness and steeps in spots made the 29+ a real winner.
    My favorite trail.

Agreed on needing a mtb, it's not as buff as it looks.

that guy
    Jun 2011
    Rebuilt my entire SS drivetrain from scratch to get away from the rear deraileur-style tensioners... replaced everything

My only concern is the position of the Stinger and the possibility of nailing a log with it.

Does anyone know if it's ok to flip it so it pushes down on the top chainline, rather than pushing up on the bottom chainline like it is now?
    Last edited by paleh0rse; 11-15-2016 at 07:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by paleh0rse View Post
    Does anyone know if it's ok to flip it so it pushes down on the top chainline, rather than pushing up on the bottom chainline like it is now?
    nope.

the tension becomes very tight on the top of the loop because in the downstroke you're essentially pulling the chain through from the sprocket to the crank. Putting a pivot there to tension would at best create a lot of friction, and most likely fail pretty quick.

Armature speller
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by paleh0rse View Post
    My only concern is the position of the Stinger and the possibility of nailing a log with it.

I'd just add a couple of links...

that guy
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by nomit View Post
    nope.

the tension becomes very tight on the top of the loop because in the downstroke you're essentially pulling the chain through from the sprocket to the crank. Putting a pivot there to tension would at best create a lot of friction, and most likely fail pretty quick.
    Damn, I figured as much. Had to ask, though. Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by NordieBoy View Post
    I'd just add a couple of links...
    I wish I could. Unfortunately, the ONLY way I got this to work without hitting the fat chainstay was by using a single halflink in the chain and the 34/21 ring combo. If I go with another full link, or longer, then I'd have to switch it to a push-down config -- which means I'd just end up bashing the chain itself on a rock instead of the Stinger.

Sadly, the Chinese frame I have is a royal pain the ass when it comes to running SS.

All is good, though... because this current setup rips!

mtbr member
    May 2008
    [QUOTE=nomit;12912402]East side of the Sandias on my day off

Nice post! Thanks for the stava detail. Nice to see the map.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012

Cotic Simple

Just finished building.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Share your LATEST SS ride...Pics and words-img_20161113_090908.jpg  

Beautiful evening in Albuquerque...

It's almost thanksgiving, and today's the first day that kinda felt like fall.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Share your LATEST SS ride...Pics and words-q1yvw1utce-aw0-awm6cz15u0mwhbv7onv2pxbwtzs-2048x1152.jpg  

mtbr member

Granite Bay Dog Style

Expecting mucho mud after the rains but it was great.

Share your LATEST SS ride...Pics and words-fullsizerender-13-.jpg

Nice Doggy, just stay there....

Share your LATEST SS ride...Pics and words-fullsizerender-14-.jpg

Share your LATEST SS ride...Pics and words-fullsizerender-10-.jpg

The perfessor
    My birthday ride.....on the local trails, pretty simple after riding the big mountains over the weekend.......finished the final build on my single-speed a month ago when I got new wheels (i9 - green anodized), and have mostly ridden it since then........Share your LATEST SS ride...Pics and words-imag0540.jpg
    Rigid 29er Ti SS / 29er SC Tallboy AL

mtbr member
    Jun 2015

Bull Mt ride this past Monday and Todays ride with the old man. Man we need some rain

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by nomit View Post
    Beautiful evening in Albuquerque...

It's almost thanksgiving, and today's the first day that kinda felt like fall.
    Wow what a view

mtbr member
    Carbon Canyon / Chino Hills State Park on top of the bonus climb.

MaxTheCyclist.com
    First ride on my new bike. Ken Cuddleback Trail to the Westover Meadow Conservation Area. My girlfriend took a couple of these photos on her new camera. That's her Krampus in the second photo.

More photos on my Blog: Max, The Cyclist
    Ultralight bikepacking and gear lists... MaxTheCyclist.com

wanna ride bikes?
    Quote Originally Posted by tk1971 View Post
    Chino Hills State Park on top of the bonus climb.

I'm not sure your done there, it looks like you have a little more "up" left. good lookin spot though.
    Rigid SS 29er
    Fat Lefty
    SS MonsterCross
    SS cyclocross
    all steel

Some continental divide trail, before it gets completely snowed in

That climb kinda kicked my ass. First it was steep, then windy, then it was a little bit muddy/pine needle combo, then it was snowy. Unwanted extra resistance the whole way.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Share your LATEST SS ride...Pics and words-20161127_144317.jpg  

Share your LATEST SS ride...Pics and words-20161127_131710.jpg  

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by *OneSpeed* View Post
    I'm not sure your done there, it looks like you have a little more "up" left. good lookin spot though.
    That's where I came from.

wanna ride bikes?
    High Falls, Lake Ontario, and a giant beer keg x-mas tree outside a local brewery. roughly 430 kegs, damn.

Share your LATEST SS ride...Pics and words-keg-tree.jpg

Share your LATEST SS ride...Pics and words-ontario.jpg

Share your LATEST SS ride...Pics and words-high-falls.jpg
    Rigid SS 29er
    Fat Lefty
    SS MonsterCross
    SS cyclocross
    all steel

92 miles and 9k vertical today

it was a bit nippy.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Share your LATEST SS ride...Pics and words-15326566_10104551196228173_2633561411168356862_n.jpg  

Share your LATEST SS ride...Pics and words-15267790_10104551196452723_2547866149943405037_n.jpg  

Share your LATEST SS ride...Pics and words-15253591_10104551196557513_4173613575612587888_n.jpg  

wanna ride bikes?
    ^ nice! looks like a great spot, and thanks for humbling me.
    Rigid SS 29er
    Fat Lefty
    SS MonsterCross
    SS cyclocross
    all steel

mtbr member
    Grippus Maximus!

Share your LATEST SS ride...Pics and words-trail.jpg

mtbr member
    Is that the Carver fork on there - just put that on my vassago and it's pretty freakin rigid....
    Last edited by rzims; 12-08-2016 at 10:37 AM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Grippus Maximus!

Name:	trail.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	209.1 KB 
ID:	1108970
    Grippus Maximusser! (but as of now its on the front porch, headed out...soon. night time is the right time.)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Share your LATEST SS ride...Pics and words-img_4405.jpg  

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Matterhorn View Post
    Grippus Maximusser! (but as of now its on the front porch, headed out...soon. night time is the right time.)
    Definitely some volume, but don't know if I could go back to small knobs

MaxTheCyclist.com
    Took the new Nature Boy out for a 30-mile ride at 22F, and that's before the wind cuts into you. I can't stop riding this thing- I think a CX bike might be the perfect platform for exploring.

Full ride report and winter tips: Max, The Cyclist

Ultralight bikepacking and gear lists... MaxTheCyclist.com

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Single speed Sunday!!!

Share your LATEST SS ride...Pics and words-img_0439.jpg

Share your LATEST SS ride...Pics and words-img_0436.jpg

evening lap in abq
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Share your LATEST SS ride...Pics and words-15420905_10104600498281463_4936173287779299625_n.jpg  

mtbr member
    Put 20 miles on the new Kona Unit, solid bike but not wild about the roational weight of 27.5+, either way its a solid bike.
    IMG_5703 by driverfound337, on Flickr

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Just picked up this brand new GT Peace 26er. Yes!, new old stock, very old.
    Added some Maxxis Crossmarks, Shimano PD-M520 pedals, BBG chain guard, flat bars, and Jet Black lock-on grips.
    Got a new 100mm Recon Silver fork coming in the mail atm also.
    Going to be a total cost of just under $1000AU once done. Very happy chappie
    Thought about buying the 29er 2016 Kona Unit @ $1180AU atm. But once I added forks etc the price would have blown out plus I'm totally happy with the 26 size tyres anyway.
    Can't wait to ride her

Big shoutout to Erik from www.crankncycles.co.au
    They have the old Giant Bowery there aswell (new) which I'm eyeing off aswell.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Share your LATEST SS ride...Pics and words-005.jpg  

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Congrads on the good score! Enjoy!

mtbr member

SS Gruppen Ride

Great SS condits at Granite Bay 'til one of our guy's Carver Ti frame cracked...

Share your LATEST SS ride...Pics and words-img_9824.jpg

Share your LATEST SS ride...Pics and words-b9crxzc.jpg

Share your LATEST SS ride...Pics and words-fullsizerender-8-.jpg

Share your LATEST SS ride...Pics and words-img_9831.jpg

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by slohr View Post
    Congrads on the good score! Enjoy!
    Cheers, will do.

mtbr member
    One of our group was sick, so we went up and down our usual.

mtbr member

Share your LATEST SS ride...Pics and words

Nice ride in Annadel, up Canyon, messed around the lake. Decided to head down cobblestone. About 300y down Rough Go, ate shit and broke my wrist. Hiked back up to the lake and rode down one handed. Gorgeous day and a great ride till the wreck.

I'm sick of all the Irish stereotypes, as soon as I finish this beer I"m punching someone

mtbr member
    Dang that's a bummer dude! Are you crazy for riding down one handed? No.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Sep 2008

My Stache 7 is not longer Plus

Big shoes were removed and now running Bontis 2.3 on Duroc 40 rims (39 mm internal).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Share your LATEST SS ride...Pics and words-img_20161230_092225.jpg  

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    The Vassago Fisticuff in stage one of touring transformation

First long shakedown ride with ~25 extra pounds in racks/bags/gear. Uphills with baggage on SS has ushered me in to a whole new level of pain cave. Coast to Coast ride starts in approximately ten days.

Share your LATEST SS ride...Pics and words-screen-shot-2017-01-04-7.50.23-pm.jpg

Name:  Screen Shot 2017-01-04 at 7.56.53 PM.png
Views: 861
Size:  41.8 KB

wanna ride bikes?
    Quote Originally Posted by jmctav23 View Post
    Coast to Coast ride starts in approximately ten days.
    sweet, what route are you planning on taking (approximate)? how long will it take? are you bringing extra cogs for mountainous states vs flat states?
    Rigid SS 29er
    Fat Lefty
    SS MonsterCross
    SS cyclocross
    all steel

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    sweet, what route are you planning on taking (approximate)? how long will it take? are you bringing extra cogs for mountainous states vs flat states?
    Roughly following the southern tier ACA route but trying to avoid the interstate and throw in some gravel along the way. I will have a dingle speed setup with 42-18 as high and 39-20 as low. Staying pretty far south to avoid higher elevations for warmth, I think the highest point on route is along the Geronimo trail road that goes across the AZ-NM border it gets up around 6k feet.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Monumental Loop, Southern New Mexico - BIKEPACKING.com

Link some of this "gravel" in to avoid a stretch of interstate in southern NM. Good luck on the SSouthern Tier!

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    Took my single speed mountain bike out for a spin in the snow....btw, any ideas as to how to get more traction on the front when riding on packed snow or trafficed snow? My front was slipping on pavement with snow. Yet, I could blast through these 3" to 4" snow on grass field with gravels/dirt without any problem.

snowday_0030b by vracing, on Flickr

-snowday_0025 by vracing, on Flickr

-snowday_0024 by vracing, on Flickr

-snowday_0019 by vracing, on Flickr

-snowday_0011 by vracing, on Flickr

-snowday_0006 by vracing, on Flickr

bike rider
    The last day I got to ride my SS DH bike was THIS day in Whistler. The next day on the first run I slid out a broke the tip of my elbow off on the right turn behind me in the first pic. Flew home to Texas the next day and surgery the next. Not deterred at all, my easiest crash just weird circumstances. I LOVE my SS DH bike, all 32lbs of her. Her name is Miesha.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Share your LATEST SS ride...Pics and words-img_4696.jpg  

Share your LATEST SS ride...Pics and words-img_4698.jpg  

My Bikes Kick Ass!!!

wanna ride bikes?
    lower tire pressure helps a little, but studded tires are the only answer for winter riding on "skinny" tires IMO.
    Rigid SS 29er
    Fat Lefty
    SS MonsterCross
    SS cyclocross
    all steel

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    lower tire pressure helps a little, but studded tires are the only answer for winter riding on "skinny" tires IMO.
    Is already lowered to 20 psi. I don't mind falling but riding on street with traffics with packed snow.....it can be dangerous.. I see studded tires are the only option. I live in NYC and we don't get a lot of snow.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Still sorting the new steed. It's getting closer...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Share your LATEST SS ride...Pics and words-sycamore-01.08.17.jpg  

North of ABQ
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Share your LATEST SS ride...Pics and words-15940772_10104688315145763_8063521106209062031_n.jpg  

Share your LATEST SS ride...Pics and words-15894904_10104688315320413_1591063490289369791_n.jpg  

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by padrefan1982 View Post
    Post 20 mile shakedown ride for my SS'ed Banshee Phantom. Was a lot of fun!

Name:	IMG_0292.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	212.2 KB 
ID:	1103547
    This is badass!

Quick loop with the dog
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Share your LATEST SS ride...Pics and words-15894948_10104704083895063_4317521427567645799_n.jpg  

Share your LATEST SS ride...Pics and words-15977031_10104704083745363_6990572257519438306_n.jpg  

wanna ride bikes?
    evening ride. it was gloomy and overcast just after a rain. i went out to hammer a few hills and it turned into a little more, par for the course. was riding along the river and the clouds broke right at sunset just long enough to take a pic.

Share your LATEST SS ride...Pics and words-cross-2.jpg

30 minutes later i was on my way home in the dark and suddenly the rear end got squirmy. flat. nice bit cut right in the tread. bummer. still a good ride.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Share your LATEST SS ride...Pics and words-cross-1.jpg  

Rigid SS 29er
    Fat Lefty
    SS MonsterCross
    SS cyclocross
    all steel

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Share your LATEST SS ride...Pics and words-2017_01_scgtt-375-zf-9062-77713-2-001-.jpg
    Share your LATEST SS ride...Pics and words-img_20170109_152554_589.jpg

Last weekend at the SnakeTT.

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    Did 20 miles in the Bethpage MTB trail.....

Single speed...that's how I roll...

bethpagetrail_0023 by vracing, on Flickr

Trees are everywhere....

bethpagetrail_0008 by vracing, on Flickr

Some dog walker disposed their dog SSS in a plastic bag....and just left it on the ground...

bethpagetrail_0001 by vracing, on Flickr

bethpagetrail_0021 by vracing, on Flickr

Bethpage is known to have a world class golf course...

bethpagetrail_0053 by vracing, on Flickr

trees by vracing, on Flickr

mtbr member
    Seriously nice ride accounts lately. Thanks.

Winter's freedom from heat makes SS even sweeter at time don't you think?

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    Well, I have been off riding regularly for a year. Yup, SS mountain biking is getting me back into riding...hehehehe.. NYC winter is really long, until late March. The heatwave does not come until June.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Burns View Post
    Seriously nice ride accounts lately. Thanks.

Winter's freedom from heat makes SS even sweeter at time don't you think?
    Heck yes! SS at 50 degrees is more than twice as good as SS at 100 degrees. Math gets tricky but here in the desert we are in prime riding season.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Share your LATEST SS ride...Pics and words-img_4550.jpg  

western NC
    It was 71 degrees here yesterday, in the mountains, in January. The group wanted to go ride, but I really thought that all the snow and rain would have the trails in terrible shape, and it'd be a wasted trip. Luckily, the shop owners know better than me. Trails were perfect! And, the single speeders outnumbered the geared bikes too.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Share your LATEST SS ride...Pics and words-img_0378-medium-.jpg  

Share your LATEST SS ride...Pics and words-fullsizerender-4-medium-.jpg  

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Did a short but great ride in the North Foothills of the Powder Sugar dusted Watermelon Mountains in Albuquerque, NM on my Trusty Surly Karate Monkey the other day... the 1 hour loop is a great way to end the work day, especially with these views.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Share your LATEST SS ride...Pics and words-20170117_181741.jpg  

Share your LATEST SS ride...Pics and words-20170117_172607.jpg  

SS Pusher Man
    Well I got out today for something way different.

Picked up a couple of days of work out in Indio, and instead of driving 130 miles each way for 2 days, I decided to just stay in our timeshare in Palm Springs.

I planned ahead and brought my bike with me....and I had a plan.

Got out of work a little later than anticipated, but I was not gonna be denied.

The plan.....up Dunn Rd to Mike's Oasis, then down Hahn/Buena Vista then out the Goat Trails. I found a route...and it was looking like a 2:20-2:45 ride. Got on my bike at 3:05 and rolled from the movie theater in Cathedral City. Rolled through the streets to get to the dirt. Based on the routes I was looking at, Dunn Rd. looked like it was gonna be a grind. The first couple of hundred yards weren't bad. Then the road started going up....and up.....and up.....and up. Found it harder than Harding, and maybe a little harder than Coal Cyn...plus it was rocky. Quickly I found myself walking. Avg. 10.5% grade. On the way up, saw several large ruts and washouts...it would be really bad to ride into them at speed.

Looking back from which I came.....

Views abound.....

Continued on and enjoyed a couple of short downs along the way...but it was predominately an uphill. I knew of the old equipment at Mike's Oasis, but didn't realize there was more.

Looks likes someone forgot their Tonka Toy...

Yes....the climb in the background is longer and steeper than it looks....

Once I got to the top of that climb, it wasn't bad the rest of the way to Mike's Oasis. In fact, I got there pretty quick.

Can't beat the views.....

At this point it was about 4:30, so I headed on and climbed up Hahn Trail. Fun short climb...but the trail is kinda loose. Reached the top, and the sun was setting and the temps were starting to drop.

I'll say it again....hard to beat the views. Really pretty evening out there today.

I started to second guess myself whether or not I could make it down Hahn/Buena Vista and back to Dunn Rd. before it got dark. I already knew I was gonna have to skip the Goat Trails. Since I had no light...I was out there by myself, and I was concerned with those monster ruts on Dunn Rd. I decided that going back the way I came in was the safer choice. On the way back down Dunn Rd. I started to follow a side road....it stopped immediately, but I found something strange.

Is this where they tied up the goat for the T-Rex?

Got back down to the gate a few minutes before dark. Skipping the singletrack turned out to be the right call.

It was good to get out....especially out there....during the week.

I resolve to constantly assert my honest opinion on anything and everything - whether it is requested or not.
    Bucky the Cat

Albuquerque Foothills - Gotta start adding some more mileage now that it's staying slightly lighter out later. Kinda cold this week though, should warm up next.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Share your LATEST SS ride...Pics and words-16298965_10104761982136523_7167744867155581567_n.jpg  

another evening in albuquerque
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Share your LATEST SS ride...Pics and words-16387950_10104767676355263_7595318617603878397_n.jpg  

mtbr member
    This is my Baum Converted SS. Used the Phil BB to achieve tension with static rear dropouts and so far has worked perfectly with 0 dropped chains. Personally, I think titanium is the god-material for hardtails, with the right amount of flex, stiffness, and weight, especially if you're looking for a performance advantage. That's not to say I don't completely enjoy the ride of my steel Sycip, it's just that this ride is... different. Faster.

western NC
    So I finally got to get in a decent ride this weekend on the new bike. I swapped to a 70mm stem, and it's just right for me on the XL at 6'2", everything is right where it should be. I was out of town visiting family, and rode Big Creek park which I know fairly well, and it's pretty technical in places so it was a good first test. I made a couple rooty climbs that I've struggled with in the past due to the surface there (loose over hard pack), along with 4-12" roots in the middle of a switchback, etc. The SStache excelled in these conditions. You have incredible amounts of traction on tap, but with very low rolling resistance. I does not feel at all like what you'd think when you ride it. I love the geometry too, feels very much like my Fuel EX just sans rear suspension, it rips! I fully believe I'd be faster on this than my Fuel EX under the right conditions. My gamble paid off, I think it's the perfect SS, for me. Then again, I'm a weirdo, so what the hell do I know.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Share your LATEST SS ride...Pics and words-fullsizerender.jpg  

Share your LATEST SS ride...Pics and words-img_0394.jpg  

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    HPIguy--you are my kind of weirdo. Looks great. Your roots are bigger than our trees!

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Matterhorn View Post
    HPIguy--you are my kind of weirdo. Looks great. Your roots are bigger than our trees!
    Nice Ride. Gotta love Big Creek.

mtbr member
    Jun 2015

Snake training yesterday in Dalton GA. We rode 34 miles of the 50. This place can be brutal on a SS.

western NC
    Thanks fellas. And I can't imagine doing 34 miles of that on a SS! I'd need 1:1 gearing.

western NC
    Got to get out for a lunchtime ride today. The more I ride this thing, the more I love it.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast