Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    mtbr member
    May 2013
    That is a stunner!

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by nomit View Post
    Lockhart Basin out & back in Moab. From Horrah pass to hwy 211 & return.

It was like white rim's evil twin brother. Kicked my ass. 95 degree day, ~98 miles, lots of sand and a fair amount of HAB. Looked like I had enough water at halfway point.....then quickly ran out with 30 miles left and no one around. Definitely suffered from pretty severe heat exhaustion/dehydration for the last hour, feeling nauseous/faint, exerting any energy pedaling uphill made me feel like I was gonna pass out so I walked a lot. Got back to the truck and my head felt like it was swelling up, still not sure what that meant....but I don't think it's good.

would not recommend that shitty trail, ever.
    Damn dude! you could've died.

Back at it
    Just bought her this morning! Went out for a ride on my local single track and loved every second of it, this is my first SS bike and I am totally hooked. Its so light and quiet!

Crave SL SS

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Those are a great out of the box deal! You'll have lots of fun on that one!

WNC Native
    What's up with this heat, I'm ready for fall already.

Share your LATEST SS ride...Pics and words-img_2359.jpg
    "I ride to clear my head, my head is clearer when I'm riding SS. Therefore, I choose to ride SS."~ Fullrange Drew

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Ive been riding in a new to me location for the last few months, its called the "Noquomanan Trail Network" here in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. Beautiful, rugged country that is buried under 300+ inches of snow 7 months out of the year. Riding my rigid Dean on these trails keeps my attention. This trail Im on is called the "Epic" trail. Its a nice loop that will let you know your condition level quickly, while throwing steep short technical ascents, tight twisting trails and even more technical descents. Ive discovered a 45 minute "short" loop Im riding 2-3 times a week while getting a longer multiple hour ride on the weekends. Im not really used to riding this Dean since I just bought it and only have 20 or so miles on it. Im noticing Im getting myself into trouble by coming into technical sections way too hot, this thing flies downhill, its got a real bmx feel to it which drives me to really open it up, but then Ill come into a rock garden and things get dicey....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Share your LATEST SS ride...Pics and words-0623161351-00.jpg  

Back at it
    Quote Originally Posted by evad nosam View Post
    Ive been riding in a new to me location for the last few months, its called the "Noquomanan Trail Network" here in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. Beautiful, rugged country that is buried under 300+ inches of snow 7 months out of the year. Riding my rigid Dean on these trails keeps my attention. This trail Im on is called the "Epic" trail. Its a nice loop that will let you know your condition level quickly, while throwing steep short technical ascents, tight twisting trails and even more technical descents. Ive discovered a 45 minute "short" loop Im riding 2-3 times a week while getting a longer multiple hour ride on the weekends. Im not really used to riding this Dean since I just bought it and only have 20 or so miles on it. Im noticing Im getting myself into trouble by coming into technical sections way too hot, this thing flies downhill, its got a real bmx feel to it which drives me to really open it up, but then Ill come into a rock garden and things get dicey....
    Nice, I am going to be in Autrain for a week in August, I may have to venture over and check out some of these trails, single speed style of course!
    Crave SL SS

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Better yet you'll 25 minutes from Marquette and the nat'l recognized trail network "The South Trails" which belong to the NTN, one of the best trail systems Ive ever ridden. Granted I lived within a 1/4 mile of this network, so I rode it everyday. Well marked.

mtbr member

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    getting some glam shots while changing into rain gear...

Share your LATEST SS ride...Pics and words-screen-shot-2016-07-04-11.01.05-am.jpg

dmo
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Flat Ark View Post

Hey, I think that's my old bike.

Got a new SS now

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dmo View Post
    Hey, I think that's my old bike.

Got a new SS now

Haha! Yep! Still going strong!

I "almost" sold it a couple of weeks ago to buy a Stache but backed out. How are you liking the Stache?

dmo
    mtbr member
    The stache is a lot of fun. The plus tires roll over everything. Might try setting it up with 27.5 wheels

Back at it
    Crave SL SS

Armature speller
    Sep 2004
    6hr mid winter xc race on Sunday.

that guy
    Jun 2011
    I just recently put the finishing touches on this one by converting it from 1x9 to SS. This rig began life as a $700 Performance Access nine years ago, and then evolved one piece at a time into what you see today. (not a single original part is left! lol)

My friends finally talked me into joining the SS dark side, and I can't believe I waited this long to do so. I absolutely LOVE this bike -- moreso than I ever did with gears!

FRAME: 2013 XMI IP-057, 17.5", BSA, UD Carbon
    FORK: RockShox 29er SID World Cup (100mm travel, 15mm Maxle Lite)
    HANDLEBAR: Easton Haven Carbon, 711mm, Low Rise (20mm), 31.8mm, 9deg bend, 5deg upsweep
    GRIPS: Oury Lock-on Grips (red)
    STEM: FSA OS99 CSI Carbon, 90mm, +/- 6 deg, 31.8mm clamp, Ti hardware
    HEADSET: NECO (1-1/8" to 1.5" )
    BRAKES:
    --Front: Shimano XTR Trail (M988) w/180mm Icetech rotor
    --Rear: Shimano XTR Trail (M988) w/160mm Icetech rotor
    SHIFTERS: N/A
    CRANKSET:
    --FSA Pro Team Carbon ATB 175mm (set up 1x)
    --Blackspire Mono Veloce 32T Chainring (unramped, black)
    --BBG 32T Bashguard (red)
    BOTTOM BRACKET: FSA MegaEXO (73/68mm)
    CHAINGUIDE: Hope 1X
    PEDALS: VP Components VP-001 (red)
    FRONT DERAILLEUR: N/A
    REAR DERAILLEUR: SRAM X.9, Short cage
    CASSETTE: Origin8 Single Speed Kit, 20T Cog.
    TENSIONER: Surley Singleator
    CHAIN: SRAM PC991 9-speed
    SADDLE: WTB Rocket V Pro
    SEATPOST: XMI Carbon IP-SP4, UD
    TIRES:
    --Front: Schwalbe Rocket Ron 29x2.25
    --Rear: Maxxis Ikon EXO/EXC 29x2.2
    WHEELSET:
    --Front Rim: Stans Arch, 29", 32H
    --Rear Rim: Stans Arch EX, 29", 32H
    --Front Hub: Hadley Disc ISO, 32H, 15mm QR, Red (H600100 XC Type),
    --Rear Hub: Hadley SDH Disc, 32H, 142mm x 12mm Thru-Axle, 72 POE, Red (H600135), with Shimano M988 XTR 142mm Skewer
    --Spokes: DT Swiss w/red nipples
    WEIGHT: ~21.8 lbs w/pedals
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Share your LATEST SS ride...Pics and words-bike2.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jun 2015

Reeb Dikyelous w/ Gates Carbon Drive

New ride. Diggin it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Share your LATEST SS ride...Pics and words-reeb-bike.jpg  

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    ride mo gravel...

Share your LATEST SS ride...Pics and words-screen-shot-2016-07-07-6.29.47-pm.jpg

mtbr member
    The other day. Needs more off-leash training with this guy, but we're getting there.

Share your LATEST SS ride...Pics and words-fil_000.jpg

mtbr member
    No pics but got 12 miles after work on my Jones Plus SS where in addition to Deer Flies getting stuck in my helmet vents, I managed to inhale various insects multiple times, mostly during climbs. Great Ride!!

mtbr member
    Untitled by tk_1971, on Flickr

Quick up and down the fire road.

Armature speller
    Sep 2004
    That's some low gearing...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NordieBoy View Post
    That's some low gearing...
    32x24t so I can climb some of the shorter steeper sections (up to 20's & 30's % grade according to Strava). Overall, it's about 1400ft over 3.7 miles and I remain seated most of the way up. My best time up was under 44 minutes.

I do have a 20t, 18t and a 16t ready to go when I get stronger.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

aka: Bucky Fikes

Just way too much Giggity today!

Ride #3 on the Solo One SE. Did an 11 miler, approx 1400', today on the Oats Peak Trail at Montana de Oro State Park. This was one of the main trails I bought this crate to ride on. It's an "out n' back" along with an absolutely necessary diversion to catch the Beebe trail bypass on the way down that reconnects to Oats. All grins and giggles...and yes, lots of talcum powder-like dust. It summertime!

I'm frankly astonished at how fun it was CLIMBING on this bike, but the downhill was just as much giggity. I can't put my finger on the stoke this thing has inspired. My wife was hiking in the park while I rode just a bit over an hour and a quarter with a fellow single-speeder and asked me after the ride "what made it so much fun?" referring to my comment about the bike and I honestly still can't come up with an answer. It just was!

So far I'm relatively impressed with these Kenda Honey Badger Pro DTC's. Especially at $50/pair. I went tubeless with them yesterday so I was aired down to 24F/28R and they really did well on this mixed terrain. I'd love to think this is a good combo I can stick with so we'll see how they wear and how they stick as my confidence and the newness of 9'r wears off.

Anyway, here's a pic of the upper entrance of the Beebe Trail diverting off Oats Pk trail and the bottom pic is from a hike-a-bike diversion near the end of Oats Pk Tr looking at Valencia Pk with a smooth Pacific Ocean hiding in the overcast gray on either side. If you look closely, my water bottle is ooooozing flowy single track as it sits there.

Share your LATEST SS ride...Pics and words-2016-07-16_23.21.45%5B1%5D.jpg
    Share your LATEST SS ride...Pics and words-2016-07-16_23.20.11%5B1%5D.jpg
    Always ride with a purpose.

mtbr member
    OMS, that trail looks like so much fun. Don't get hung up as to why it's fun. Those pics say it all.

SS Pusher Man
    Headed out yesterday for a big ride....I refer to it as a 4 Park Ride here in the OC. Quail Hil l- Aliso/Wood Canyon - Laguna Coast Wilderness Park - El Moro State Park. Chose this route because it was next to the coast and it was supposed to be warm. Well, I forget about the humidity that close to the coast.

The original route was 55 miles / 10k' ascent. About mile 40 going up "I Think I Can" in El Moro at noon, got cooked in the fully exposed sun. Had to pull the plug and not do the additional down and up that was planned....plus we were still 12 miles from the start with some mandatory climbing.

Definitely not one of my better days....this year the heat seems to be affecting more so than last year.

Still a fun day on the bike.

I resolve to constantly assert my honest opinion on anything and everything - whether it is requested or not.
    Bucky the Cat

mtbr member
    Stopped during my lunch loop at the ride thru shack for a bit of shade and Calavera trail art.

Share your LATEST SS ride...Pics and words-wp_20160718_12_14_11_pro.jpg

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Share your LATEST SS ride...Pics and words-28276696510_09c4d448a1_c.jpg

First time taking the SS abroad. Perfect bike for the job and a joy to pack and lug around on the plane compared to these new fangled contraptions with bits hanging off them asking to be damaged by baggage handlers

Mainly been exploring some beautiful Scandinavian singletrack but had a quick bimble at the weekend to rest the legs and see a bit of the coast. Lovely part of the world and the cycling infrastructure is incredible

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Share your LATEST SS ride...Pics and words-28537179946_cea0f3322c_c.jpg

Always hard to show how fun trails are but here's a quick snap to give a flavour of the forests in Sweden. Non-stop bedrock (?), roots, loam, right to roam anywhere... what's not to like

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Share your LATEST SS ride...Pics and words-28000095833_b7a83606bf_c.jpg

Another day, another loamy singletrack ride with beautiful lake views. The trails around Delsjon Lake are a bit tight and nadgery and I had and incident with a tree jumping out on me but otherwise another cracker of a ride after work

Quote Originally Posted by Dan-W View Post

Another day, another loamy singletrack ride with beautiful lake views. The trails around Delsjon Lake are a bit tight and nadgery and I had and incident with a tree jumping out on me but otherwise another cracker of a ride after work

What fork do you have on that Highball? I have a couple buddies I've been riding with, since I bought my rigid SS, that have newer Highball builds but both have suspension forks. One just put the new 2016 Fox 34 on his. I'm looking at keeping SS on the simple and economical and am already thinking what I want my next SS to be. The Highball is a nice platform but I'd rather do something like yours.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Oh My Sack! View Post
    What fork do you have on that Highball? I have a couple buddies I've been riding with, since I bought my rigid SS, that have newer Highball builds but both have suspension forks. One just put the new 2016 Fox 34 on his. I'm looking at keeping SS on the simple and economical and am already thinking what I want my next SS to be. The Highball is a nice platform but I'd rather do something like yours.
    The fork is a Kinesis XI. Main deciding factor for me in selecting this rigid fork was that it is lightish (697g), has a taller AC height than most others (490mm which really helps the overall ride) and is good value (much cheaper than the Salsa carbon fork or Whiskey forks which are the only others that are light and have a decent AC height). Only "negative" you may perceive is that they are QR only. SC Highball SS dropout are QR only too so it is actually a good match and easier to find spares when out travelling for QR's than the multitude of bolt thru standards out there. Ride is very rigid and secure and is a recent shootout between Whiskey QR and bolt thru forks the testers were unable to feel much difference. Similar story with the Kinesis I feel. Anyway, if the forks are good enough for Mike Hall to smash across the Tour Divide then they are good enough for me

Full specs of my SCHB on post 324 here:
    Highball- Aluminum Gallery

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Followed a Singletracks ride today and did it both ways in addition to the ride to and from the trails.
    Singletrack, History, Burgers, and Bike Shops in Gothenburg, Sweden | Singletracks Mountain Bike News

Super tight and hard to find flow in the trees but a good technical challenge (here is one of the rare straight, wider sections)....

Share your LATEST SS ride...Pics and words-28577281011_1358a1c7d9_c.jpg

...and every now and then yet another lake jumps out

Share your LATEST SS ride...Pics and words-28577278271_d1e1917ae5_c.jpg

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Followed a Singletracks ride today and did it both ways in addition to the ride to and from the trails.
    Singletrack, History, Burgers, and Bike Shops in Gothenburg, Sweden | Singletracks Mountain Bike News

Super tight and hard to find flow in the trees but a good technical challenge (here is one of the rare straight, wider sections)....

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	28577281011_1358a1c7d9_c.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	256.8 KB 
ID:	1085050

...and every now and then yet another lake jumps out

Name:	28577278271_d1e1917ae5_c.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	134.6 KB 
ID:	1085051

Stunning! Very enviable, haven't been able to get out much--thanks for the photos!

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by slohr View Post
    Stunning! Very enviable, haven't been able to get out much--thanks for the photos!
    No worries, it is indeed a beautiful part of the world. I have barely ridden in the past few months too and the whole point of SS for me is to have an uncomplicated bike to just get out there and not over think things too much in the (sadly rare) moments I do have time. Even an hour on the SS exploring is more fun than almost any other ride or bike... just grab the bike and give 'er

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Great to see the photos, hope you keep posting them up!

powered by peanut butter.
    After a couple months of tinkering, I'm starting to feel happy with the fit of my new singlespeed.

Also picked up a Backcountry Research Awesome Strap, which is proving great for keeping a sweaty bit of rubber off my back and for making my bike look 10% more badass.

I know some folks round here think these straps are stupid, so please flame away.

Lastly but not leastly, I was visited by my spirit animal today during my lunch ride.
    Last edited by heartland; 08-02-2016 at 05:41 AM.
    "Never trust a man in a blue trench coat. Never drive a car when you're dead." -- Tom Waits

^^Your images are toast. Not seeing anything...and I really wanted to see an awesome strap in use. There was potential here for awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Oh My Sack! View Post
    ^^Your images are toast. Not seeing anything...and I really wanted to see an awesome strap in use. There was potential here for awesome.
    That's weird--they show up on my computer. Trying again...

Share your LATEST SS ride...Pics and words-awesome-strap.jpg

Share your LATEST SS ride...Pics and words-el-mariachi.jpg

Share your LATEST SS ride...Pics and words-spirit-animal.jpg
    "Never trust a man in a blue trench coat. Never drive a car when you're dead." -- Tom Waits

WNC Native
    I also couldn't see the pics, but can see them in this last post. Like the strap!
    "I ride to clear my head, my head is clearer when I'm riding SS. Therefore, I choose to ride SS."~ Fullrange Drew

wanna ride bikes?
    Quote Originally Posted by heartland View Post
    Also picked up a Backcountry Research Awesome Strap, which is proving great for keeping a sweaty bit of rubber off my back and for making my bike look 10% more badass.

I know some folks round here think these straps are stupid, so please flame away.
    lol, that's the first time i've heard anyone say that it made their bike look more badass. definitely MTBR's favorite punchline. you'll probably survive so long as you stay away from the Off Camber blabbermouth crowd.

I couldn't see the pics before either, but now i can.
    Rigid SS 29er
    Fat Lefty
    SS MonsterCross
    SS cyclocross
    all steel

Stop asking how much it weighs and just go ride it.

WNC Native
    Hit up some classic Pisgah techy stuff on Sunday with a buddy.

Stop before dropping into the fun stuff on Bennett
    Share your LATEST SS ride...Pics and words-img_2581.jpg

Buddy coming into the rock drop
    Share your LATEST SS ride...Pics and words-img_2575.jpg

buddy snapped a quick pic of me later on Black
    Share your LATEST SS ride...Pics and words-img_2577.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by *OneSpeed* View Post
    lol, that's the first time i've heard anyone say that it made their bike look more badass.
    Haha... A lame attempt at humor on account of being convinced by my inner 14 year old to buy the strap with a skull and crossbones pattern.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Skull strap looks awesome I have a "handy strap" from Mt Zoom which is far less cool... sorry badass Never used it under the saddle, just on the seatpost but your solution is probably tidier. Trails look cool too, but is that a slack chain I spy?

Loving the look of the rocky trails you posted up nitrous!

Had another explore today. I thought the massive amount of rain here in Sweden would make me feel at home (UK) but the ground dries very fast. Some lovely flowy, rocky heathland riding today with lots of line choices all over the place- perfect for rigid SS where every gem of a line through the rough counts and much more up my alley compared to some of the very tight forest stuff I've been riding lately.Enjoy!

Share your LATEST SS ride...Pics and words-28648849571_715a84ddea_c.jpg

wanna ride bikes?
    haven't done any big adventures lately on the SS. none of my friends ride SS so all my adventure rides seem to be on the Krampus lately, which may be converted soon... there is a 6 hour race coming up i'd like to do on the SS but it's very rough/rooty terrain and would make for a long race on a rigid bike. i did it last year on my hardtail and wished i had FS. why am i considering doing it on a rigid this year? my only explanation is that i want to race it more, and do more endurance events, and this is one of the only ones around. (i just did a 24 hour a week ago but rode the geared hardtail.) i'll be doing a pre-race test ride to see how i feel about it after a couple hours of getting the snot pounded out of me. we'll see.

been doing some loops on my local trails. lots of short steep climbs and because it's been so hot and dry this summer, everything is covered in loose over hard or sandy, dusty stuff. still fun but i miss hero dirt. hopefully it rains more this fall.

here's a couple recent rides.
    Share your LATEST SS ride...Pics and words-screen-shot-2016-08-03-9.23.15-am.pngShare your LATEST SS ride...Pics and words-screen-shot-2016-08-03-9.24.47-am.pngShare your LATEST SS ride...Pics and words-img_4140.jpgShare your LATEST SS ride...Pics and words-img_4143.jpgShare your LATEST SS ride...Pics and words-img_4153.jpg
    Rigid SS 29er
    Fat Lefty
    SS MonsterCross
    SS cyclocross
    all steel

WNC Native
    FYI Krampus as SS is a RIOT!

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Took the Unit out for some sloppy gravel grinding to get to the End of the world...looking down on the red rocks of Sedona

Share your LATEST SS ride...Pics and words-screen-shot-2016-08-03-8.31.37-am.jpg

Name:  Screen Shot 2016-08-03 at 8.29.30 AM.png
Views: 497
Size:  37.6 KB

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Cracking views and some healthy elevation on that ride!

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Last ride before heading home so you'll be pleased to know this is the last pic for a while This evening I strung together my favourite climbs and descents of my past 3 weeks in Sweden and had a blast. Definitely be bringing the bike back! There were thunderstorms for the last few days which has made the grippy rocks slick and the loam in between absolutely beautiful. Pictures never show how steep or rocky a trail is but needless to say I ran out of puff going up in these conditions and pushed up for another go down

Share your LATEST SS ride...Pics and words-28767838195_406e526914_c.jpg

mtbr member
    Last ride before heading home so you'll be pleased to know this is the last pic for a while This evening I strung together my favourite climbs and descents of my past 3 weeks in Sweden and had a blast. Definitely be bringing the bike back! There were thunderstorms for the last few days which has made the grippy rocks slick and the loam in between absolutely beautiful. Pictures never show how steep or rocky a trail is but needless to say I ran out of puff going up in these conditions and pushed up for another go down

Name:	28767838195_406e526914_c.jpg 
Views:	491 
Size:	203.6 KB 
ID:	1086023
    Wow, that's like what mtb-ing in heaven must look like.

mtbr member
    May 2008

Name:	28767838195_406e526914_c.jpg 
Views:	491 
Size:	203.6 KB 
ID:	1086023
    I love riding that terrain on my SS. I don't bomb it, just try to be as smooth and silent as possible. I like the consistent steering with the rigid fork too, makes it much easier to "razor" lines. Nice trails!

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Technically the ride was finished at this point, but it wasn't in the car yet!

Riding Chukkar Butte in Boise, out to Connie, up a few miles, and back. Lots of technical (to me) rocky sections, that were surprisingly easier on the ROS than my rigid SIR. Great ride!

Share your LATEST SS ride...Pics and words-img_3198.jpg

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    I love riding that terrain on my SS. I don't bomb it, just try to be as smooth and silent as possible. I like the consistent steering with the rigid fork too, makes it much easier to "razor" lines. Nice trails!
    It's funny because in the pictures the Gothenburg trails look quite rough and I felt I was flowing pretty well- exactly like you say, sniping smooth lines is very rewarding and the ground between the rough was either loamy, sandy or a spiders web of very fine roots which made the smooth line even smoother. However... coming home to trails I know inside out and riding the "smooth" lines I was used to was like having my internal organs assaulted from how rough it was by comparison! The South West trails won't look as impressive in pics but when every rock is slimy and followed by yet another behind causing you to pin ball on to another and so on I soon came to realise there is no such thing as a "smooth" line at home!

Long story short, the trails around Gothenburg were indeed heavenly for rigid SS even though all the locals I met were on 140+mm trail/ endurbro bikes. If anyone is ever close by then I thoroughly recommend taking the bike- any bike can be damned fun and excel there in its own way so just give 'er!

wanna ride bikes?
    did a loop around the city today, hit 7-8 parks. Share your LATEST SS ride...Pics and words-img_4199.jpgShare your LATEST SS ride...Pics and words-img_4201.jpgShare your LATEST SS ride...Pics and words-img_4206.jpgShare your LATEST SS ride...Pics and words-img_4212.jpgShare your LATEST SS ride...Pics and words-screen-shot-2016-08-08-5.08.34-pm.png
    Rigid SS 29er
    Fat Lefty
    SS MonsterCross
    SS cyclocross
    all steel

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Fisty getting out of it's comfort zone on this washed out rocky descent, most of this ride was on good gravel and road, but I just had to check out this one section of single track that dropped 1300 ft in 3 miles

Share your LATEST SS ride...Pics and words-screen-shot-2016-08-09-9.50.34-pm.jpg

Name:  Screen Shot 2016-08-09 at 9.59.05 PM.png
Views: 1256
Size:  33.5 KB

mtbr member

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    did a loop around the city today
    Whereabouts is that OneSpeed? Looks great

Fisty getting out of it's comfort zone on this washed out rocky descent, most of this ride was on good gravel and road, but I just had to check out this one section of single track that dropped 1300 ft in 3 miles
    Always a nice "surprise", especially on SS If you didn't get that extra elevation in then the ride probably wouldn't have been up to your normal crazy standards though

@Flat Ark

The Stache always looks like a ton of fun!

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Man, do you crush sidewalk concrete when you walk on them??

wanna ride bikes?
    Man, do you crush sidewalk concrete when you walk on them??
    Waa???
    Rigid SS 29er
    Fat Lefty
    SS MonsterCross
    SS cyclocross
    all steel

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Waa???
    Sorry for the confusion, I was attempting to reply to JMCTAV23's crushing ride when Wordpress took a dump.

mtbr member
    More Back 40 action.
    Attachment 1087735

wanna ride bikes?
    More Back 40 action.
    Attachment 1087735

^ that shows up as an invalid attachment for me.
    Rigid SS 29er
    Fat Lefty
    SS MonsterCross
    SS cyclocross
    all steel

mtbr member
    Hmmm? The photo shows up on my phone. Albeit turned 90 degrees from what I wanted.

^ that shows up as an invalid attachment for me.
    me too.

wanna ride bikes?
    Hmmm? The photo shows up on my phone. Albeit turned 90 degrees from what I wanted.
    a picture is worth a thousand words, could you describe it to me?
    Rigid SS 29er
    Fat Lefty
    SS MonsterCross
    SS cyclocross
    all steel

mtbr member
    2016 Trek Superfly SS Frameset
    Stan's Crest Rims on Bontrager FCC Front Hub and DT Swiss 350 Rear Hub
    Schwalbe Racing Ralph 29x2.35 Front/29x2.25 Rear Tires
    RXL Stem
    Rhythm Pro Bar 750mm
    Bontrager Evoke Saddle
    X7 Crank
    Race Face Narrow/Wide 36T Ring
    Surly 18T Cog
    Ergon Grips

Share your LATEST SS ride...Pics and words-20160812_193004.jpgShare your LATEST SS ride...Pics and words-20160812_193023.jpgShare your LATEST SS ride...Pics and words-20160812_193050.jpgShare your LATEST SS ride...Pics and words-20160805_160441.jpg

mtbr member

mtbr member

Folsom Lake Granite Bay

Hot, did I mention it was HOT?

Rode a lot of places that last month were lake ...

Share your LATEST SS ride...Pics and words-rtlscnd.jpg

Share your LATEST SS ride...Pics and words-img_8788.jpg

Share your LATEST SS ride...Pics and words-img_8781.jpg

Share your LATEST SS ride...Pics and words-img_8790.jpg

Share your LATEST SS ride...Pics and words-img_8794.jpg

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    MooBalicious! HAHA
    Riding bikes means life behind bars, except no TV :-d

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    So turned this...

Into this...

Went all Fat-BMX style SS to jump around with the kids on their bikes...
    swapped out to as much USA made gear as I could. Profile 40 stem, 175 raw no-boss cranks with 6 7/8 spindle, and 100mm euro internal BB to keep the Q as close as possible. S&M 25T spline drive front. Crupi pivot post. ODI grips. Al's Transit aluminum cruiser bars. Appropriately named RedLine Monster pedals. SINZ chro-mo 13T rear cog. Had a Tioga seat that was super light, but my 8 yr old loved it, so swapped it onto his and ended up with his EZRA kevlar seat. Kept it around 30 lbs still...

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Dupont State Forest on my Niner ROS9. Awesome day in the trails.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Mar 2009

Swobo Mutineer

Swobo dropped the price on their Mutineer to $489 delivered couldn't resist since that's what I can afford these days & I'm uneasy of borrowing bike from friend. (Had to get rid of my old ride)
    So after 5 rides at different trails in my area I can say really happy my times are close but not has fast to what I was doing on a friend 26" 5" suspension.
    My only changes to stock are a short stem, seat post clamp & thin flat pedals.
    I like the wide handlebar & thought I would swap the seat but pretty decent.
    I will chose tires with smaller knobs when due.
    I like to road ride to trails which are around 45 minutes from my place, the gearing is a good compromise between road&trail.
    I'll come back with more pictures & update in a month or so.Share your LATEST SS ride...Pics and words-swobo-p.jpg

Armature speller
    Sep 2004
    Chrome Creek ride(and HaB).

56.3km
    3:21:46
    1,169m

https://www.strava.com/activities/682080987

Share your LATEST SS ride...Pics and words-20160820-111921-002.jpg
    Share your LATEST SS ride...Pics and words-20160820-112141-006.jpg
    Share your LATEST SS ride...Pics and words-20160820-120452-007.jpg
    Share your LATEST SS ride...Pics and words-20160820-121047-009.jpg
    Share your LATEST SS ride...Pics and words-20160820-121951-013.jpg

mtbr member
    Last couple of weeks we've been living at our family summer house, which is located on an island. Riding on the rocks with the ocean rumbling a few meters away from you, was just fantastic.

Share your LATEST SS ride...Pics and words-298qkm.jpg

Armature speller
    Sep 2004
    Damn. Just noticed this after the last ride

wanna ride bikes?
    nice tacky soil was a welcome change thanks to some much needed rain. saw some interesting things yesterday.

Share your LATEST SS ride...Pics and words-img_4326.jpg

Share your LATEST SS ride...Pics and words-img_4329.jpg

came across these crazy little red mushrooms. and the answer is no.

Share your LATEST SS ride...Pics and words-img_4319.jpg

Share your LATEST SS ride...Pics and words-img_4320.jpg
    Rigid SS 29er
    Fat Lefty
    SS MonsterCross
    SS cyclocross
    all steel

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    https://www.strava.com/activities/68...S&v=1472240750
    Had a great day on the Moots running a standard 32x20!

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtroadie View Post
    https://www.strava.com/activities/68...S&v=1472240750
    Had a great day on the Moots running a standard 32x20!

Almost forgot to post the obligatory pic! Taken later.....

wanna ride bikes?
    ^ I want that! Moots SS + lefty = want

nice ride too
    Rigid SS 29er
    Fat Lefty
    SS MonsterCross
    SS cyclocross
    all steel

EXORCIZE
    Quote Originally Posted by NordieBoy View Post
    Damn. Just noticed this after the last ride
    Do you know how that happened? Crash? Or while riding?
    2017 Diamondback Haanjo
    2016 Pivot 429T
    2011 Kona Unit

mtbr member
    On top of the world... Or at least it looks like it from here.

Armature speller
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryder1 View Post
    Do you know how that happened? Crash? Or while riding?
    No crashes. Riding solo. Right on the front of the stanchion.

mtbr member
    Mtroadie that was an awesome ride!

Tk1971 that Kona is looking sweet.
    18" rigid Unit

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Some great rides there guys, keep it up!

SS Pusher Man
    After a weekend of small rides, I figured I would get in a longer ride today. However it would be different. Slept in til 8:00. Had breakfast. Sat around and watched the WC DH Replay.

Finally got on my bike at 11:00. I know....usually I am finishing about that time.

The plan.....Ride from the house, through Oaks/Weir Cyn, over to Chino Hills, do a loop, then head back through Weir/Oaks.

In my head I had 57 miles and about 7000'. Sent my wife a text that I would be home before dark.

11am start had me worried a bit about how warm it was gonna be. It actually would not be an issue all day.

Gotta admit, I didn't feel that great when I rolled out. Legs just felt heavy and tired. Up Oak, down Yucca Ridge then up Coachwhip. Ran into some friends at the top of Deer. Dropped down and headed out to Weir Cyn. Breeze felt good and felt like I was fighting a headwind....again, which had me looking forward to the tailwind on the way home. Out into Weir Cyn and then out the bridal trail. Made a quick stop at Ronald Reagan Park for water before continuing on. Down Wood Chips and onto Santa Ana Canyon. I was making a good effort of not doubling back on the trails if I could avoid it. So I hopped on SART and took the trail to Green River Golf Course. As i approached the new parking spaces that they put in next to the freeway, I was surprised at the 3 different piles of broken window glass. I'd recommend never parking there.:thumbsdown::stop:

Over the RR tracks and on over to Lower Aliso Trail.

As soon as I turned on to Lower Aliso, I was smacked in the face by a stout headwind. Wasn't looking forward to this. :cautious: o_O Put my head down and just pedaled. Short time later reached the Rolling M Ranch and refilled my bottles. I was finally starting to feel better.

Around the corner and started the climb up Southridge to Telegraph. Again, fighting the headwind. By this point I had turned my Garmin onto the map screen so I was not seeing stats, especially my heart rate. Was just gonna go by feel. The climb up went ok...not fast, not slow. Short break at 4 Corners then headed up Bovinian Delight to Southridge.....

Not a hard trail, but it is getting loose in some spots. It goes by quickly and you reach Southridge. Turned right, and a bunch a series of ups and downs...one stout little climb, then down Diemer. Another right turn on Telegraph and I was heading back up to 4 Corners. Legs were feeling pretty good about this time. At least it felt like I was moving pretty good. Back at 4 Corners in no time and a quick break.

Raptor takes you over to Faultline.....the 2 combined make for a great fast flowing singletrack. There was quite a strong crosswind in sections...that would cause a little havoc when the front end would get off the ground.

This drops you down back onto Lower Aliso. It had been a very quiet day out there to this point. However I did have a pair of surprised horse riders.....ooopsies.

I bypassed the Ranch cause I made the plan of going up Bane Canyon and coming back down Bane Ridge, and knew there was water up a little ways. Made short work of the climb up. Bane Ridge is going to get taken over soon by the Russian Thistle. Again the crosswinds were a little tricky on the high speed singletrack. Hit up a couple more singletracks on the way back out Lower Aliso. Seeing how open most of the trails were, I hopped on to Avulvall Fenceline Trail....today it was great. It becomes impassible when the thistle/tumbleweeds take over.

This drops me back at the RR tracks.....and the afternoon headwind from hell. Nothing you can do except pedal. Good thing this section goes by quickly. Back out on the bike path heading back to Santa Ana Cyn Rd...this would be one of the small sections that I doubled back on. Instead of heading back up the bridal trails at Serrano, I continued up SA Cyn Rd a little and detoured over into Deer Canyon Preserve.

I little more climbing over here....but there is also water. Quick refill and I was off. By this time, it was getting late, but I still had about 1.5 hours of daylight. Made my way back into Weir Cyn and back into the Oaks. Was still feeling good so I headed up Deer Trail.

It was about 6:40 now. I knew daylight was disappearing....so down Chutes into IRP. Hopped on Santiago Creek Trail and ran into some more friends. Quick stop for socializing. Back on my way, up/down the Dam Hill, down Pony Trail, and around on my extra credit loop to Sage Ridge. Thought I was gonna run short on the 8000'....I made the right hand turn and climbed the 1st B/Oak to the first Gazebo. Turned back and finally headed home.

Made it home after dark....missed it by about 1/2 hour :cry: . Oh well....I did much more than I had l planned when I left. I probably would have stayed out longer, had I had the daylight.

Was really surprised how dead the parks were given that it was a holiday.....not that I am complaining.

https://www.relive.cc/view/702095021

I resolve to constantly assert my honest opinion on anything and everything - whether it is requested or not.
    Bucky the Cat

mtbr member
    During the past weekend I started building a small bridge with my pal.

Share your LATEST SS ride...Pics and words-1zbc2so.jpg

The White Jeff W
    Friday morning at Hillman State Park just west of Pittsburgh.

No moss...

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    bump for fall stoke...

Share your LATEST SS ride...Pics and words-screen-shot-2016-10-12-10.13.48-am.jpg

Share your LATEST SS ride...Pics and words-screen-shot-2016-10-12-9.44.45-am.jpg

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Share your LATEST SS ride...Pics and words-ching-ching.jpg

Chinese Carbon
    Beer Works Eccentric BB30
    One Up 32 Oval Chainring
    Niner 20 and 18 tooth Cog
    All other parts used are spare parts really not worth mentioning

mtbr member
    Wednesday at Gooseberry Mesa

Share your LATEST SS ride...Pics and words-dsc00145.jpg

Share your LATEST SS ride...Pics and words-dsc00153.jpg
    Last edited by socal_jack; 10-18-2016 at 04:13 PM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Fall is here.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    wow, that salsa is my taste of bike! nice!

mtbr member
    Short and sweet SS ride this morning.

I found someone's beer stash at the top.

Armature speller
    Sep 2004
    I only brushed past it! Honest!
    Share your LATEST SS ride...Pics and words-20161016_123246.jpg

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I took my kids up Oak Knoll in Carrabassett Valley Maine yesterday. It was a great ride with beautiful weather. The scenery was epic, just past the peak of the foliage colors (lots of leaves on the ground!). My 11 year old daughter and I were both on SS and my 10 year old was on her older Trance (I am working on converting her to a single speed rider )

Here is the reward:

A great view of the Bigalow range in Maine:

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    My bike as it sits today. 2013 Specialized CarveSL. Wheels are Stans Flow EX mounted on orange Hope Pro 4 hubs with their SS rear hub. Just swapped out the carbon chisel rigid fork with a Manitou Marvel Pro with 15mm thru. I loved the rigid but it was starting to take it's toll. I got that Marvel as a four ride takeoff from my lbs. basicslly brand new for a can't say no price.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Share your LATEST SS ride...Pics and words-img_5088.jpg  

Share your LATEST SS ride...Pics and words-img_5089.jpg  

Share your LATEST SS ride...Pics and words-img_5090.jpg  

Share your LATEST SS ride...Pics and words-img_5092.jpg  

Last edited by cliston; 10-17-2016 at 06:21 PM.
    2015 Specialized Fatboy Expert
    2013 Specialized Carve SL
    2005 Trek 2100

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    SS ride this morning

Sent from my XT1092 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Got to ride the Allegrippis trails at Raystown Lake in PA.

The best spot to take pictures:

Share your LATEST SS ride...Pics and words-img_20161015_120240952.jpg
    Bikes, lots'o bikes

mtbr member
    Sunday ride, 29+ perfect for the job

Share your LATEST SS ride...Pics and words-dsc00304.jpg

Share your LATEST SS ride...Pics and words-dsc00311.jpg

Share your LATEST SS ride...Pics and words-dsc00318.jpg

Share your LATEST SS ride...Pics and words-dsc00320.jpg

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    My daily ride to work. Hard to beat Fall riding... hero dirt, perfect temperatures and changing colors.
    Share your LATEST SS ride...Pics and words-image.jpg

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast